45-70 for dangerous game?

Michael458 proves the point or at least lays out the data why I said that the 45-70 IS NOT a dangerous game cartridge. Choose what you like but for the life of me why would anyone spend $15,000 or more to go to Africa to hunt buffalo and take a sub-optimum cartridge.... Use the best gun/cartridge suited for the game that you can.... I struggle to understand why so much defensiveness over this issue.
DOGCAT1 - neither “Michael” nor anyone else “proves your point” — that is YOUR JOB to do and so far you only have an “opinion” that is Not shared by many….and of course the inconvenient Facts that many Buffalo have fallen to the .45-70 under the supervision and agreement of many PHs (functional experts that “we” are Not).
SO, we are all friendly and there is nothing personal going on here — it’s OK to be wrong, and/or in the minority. Take a Bazooka for Buffalo or a Spear, it’s all been done before - we aren’t breaking any New Ground here….but it is a Fun discussion and appreciate you continuing to “raise it from the Dead”.

Two reasons for your asserted defensiveness, and frankly I didn't respond until the second one.

First, what you JUST said: "go to Africa to hunt buffalo and take a sub-optimum cartridge." I do not agree with that statement. I have been to Africa twice. I have shot two buffalo with a .45-70. There was zero about its performance to suggest it was sub-optimal in any way. Frankly, I'd love to consider a more potent lever gun someday, such as with Michael and TTundra have suggested, but that's not in my current financial future. For the DG species I have considered hunting, I have faith my .45-70 is quite capable.

Second, your assertion that 100% of PHs are against it, and strongly at that. That's just patently false and needed to be refuted. It has nothing to do with being defensive and everything to do with wanting to be factually accurate.

Take a Bazooka for Buffalo or a Spear, it’s all been done before - we aren’t breaking any New Ground here….but it is a Fun discussion and appreciate you continuing to “raise it from the Dead”.
..... and yet we still keep flogging this dead horse.

..... and yet we still keep flogging this dead horse.
Yep !
hot debate on a marginal power band cartridge
imo if you have to try this damn hard and argue about situations wit modern technology
bullet and range limits, its use should be considered marginal
but in the zealots defense, fools go where angels fear to tread and use heavy pistols on dangerous creatures, and bows ( even though usually from a concrete bunker over bait)
can you run to a store and buy ammunition for a DG hunt with a 45-70 ? No , get separated from your special needs ammo and your SOL
if you want to do a 45-70 and it floats your boat then have at it

I wouldn't be happy to face a charge with 45-70. Ive been involved in 2,5 buffalo charges with big bores involved and my first thought was why do we not shoot a 600 NE..IMO the 45-70 is a good deer rifle and borderline elk rifle..DG rifles begin with the 9,3x62 and end with how one handles recoil..I always felt comfortable with a 9. 3x62.minimum but to each his own..

What Ray Atkinson said....

This maybe?

download copy.jpg

HAHAHAHA... "A really big buffalo." Well played sir!

df7ac692afb18981b2abe57f2a4d95d9 copy.jpg

Ok. Now that we killed the 45/70 debate. What about a .458 American 2? Lots more pressure than 45/70.

I wouldn't be happy to face a charge with 45-70. Ive been involved in 2,5 buffalo charges with big bores involved and my first thought was why do we not shoot a 600 NE..IMO the 45-70 is a good deer rifle and borderline elk rifle..DG rifles begin with the 9,3x62 and end with how one handles recoil..I always felt comfortable with a 9. 3x62.minimum but to each his own..
RAY: Guessing you also wouldn’t want to face a charge with a .375 H&H either —- Me, I don’t want to face a charge by a Buffalo with anything and hope my first shot (at comfortable distance) works like it should…..or that My PH will earn a super BIG Tip

I am hoping one day to have a BLR .458 WinMag.
Looking for the stainless, take-down, lightweight BLR in .300 WinMag for the conversion.
Lever-action .458 WinMag.
YIPPEE-KI-YAY

I am hoping one day to have a BLR .458 WinMag.
Looking for the stainless, take-down, lightweight BLR in .300 WinMag for the conversion.
Lever-action .458 WinMag.
YIPPEE-KI-YAY
Good luck with your extractor.

freefall,
I know nothing about the BLR extractor other than superficial inspection.
Can you shed some light on this ?
I figgered same extractor for .300 WinMag and .458 WinMag.
Seems you are saying the BLR extractor is crap ?

Did some googling.
Weaknesses noted.
BLR discontinued.
Oh well, might find one somewhere, someday, or the plaything is just a pipedream that will not be smoked.

Last edited:
I can't understand the desire to take a marginal cartridge on a DG hunt...

I'm pretty good with a blowgun, but geeze...

If you can afford a safari, you can afford a .375 H&H.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheenaFord

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Here are an update on available dates for 2025

Hunting dates available 2025
1-18 March
2-10 April
17-26 April
13-24 May
2 -30 June
8-16 July
26 July - 7 August
23 August - 30 September
LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia