Who's Trophy is it anyway? Wounded Animals

@Hunt anything - you must have some very good Self Control and handled that situation well. I can’t think of any reason for someone to tie up your retriever as you described and especially when they could hear you “whistling” for your dog.
It was a little more confrontational than I described.

Yeah, when that guy's dog tears into yours you will just stand there and say "Oh please, poochy, stop that." Some strange dog rips into my dog/kid, he would be lucky to only get the boot, especially if I'm standing there with a gun in my hands. I considered myself lucky that she just got kicked. Not sure I wouldn't have done worse. We don't have time to think in those situations. Thankful his reactions were what they were. Only a fool would have attempted to escalate the situation. But hey HankBuck, if the shoe fits ...

A few years back I got roped into filling a vacancy on my brother's boss's outfitted goose hunt to SK. I brought my two Labs and Fr Britt as we were already in Montana bird hunting. The other guy in the party showed up with a useless two year-old Chesapeak that had a very unpredictable disposition. I knew something was wrong when it jumped out of the truck tied to a logging chain. I had to leave my dogs in the vehicle almost the entire trip. A couple of times I needed to get Opal out to make water retrieves (his dog was less than spotty retreiver). I told him, "You better tie that dog up." He said it would be okay. "Well, if it turns out not 'okay' you will have a dead dog to take home." He put it back in his truck. Then that night he ties the damn thing up right outside the apartment door so my dogs can't get out to do their business. Hell, I was nervous walking past that grumpy mutt. "Get your head out of your ass or get down the road with that gawdam dog." Fortunately, our useless outfitter finally stepped in. I learned the following year the dog disappeared one night chasing deer and never returned. One of the neighbors doubtless fixed the problem.
@Ontario Hunter - hey I wasn’t there and you have all the details about how someone else “kicked your dog”, maybe the dog deserved it as I’ve encountered some poorly behaved & untrained dogs in the field and owners that could Not handle them or just didn’t care, maybe the guys were Bigger then you, aggressive & looking for trouble and in that case a “retreat is better then valor”. I’m not 2nd guessing your judgement - you were the one that had to suffer the consequences of any heroic decisions and maybe you made the right call…only you know.

It was a little more confrontational than I described.
@Hunt anything - I’ll bet it was — sounds like a nasty event and I would be happy to get myself AND My Dog out of that Safely….. It would also have “wrecked” that day’s hunt for me.

An honest outfitter won’t charge the 2nd hunter.

I was once the 2nd hunter. The Outfitter said that’s an animal the previous hunter wounded. Would you mind putting it down, or letting me so we can send him the trophy? Now whether or not the outfitter told that hunter it was finished by another hunter or they “found it” I don’t know. It was only a day or two later w/ 1 broken leg on a hard quartering shot that missed all vitals and ended up in the guts.
I like how this was resolved!!!

In europe.
First ball, last (bird) shot.

This means, big game wounded by rifle goes to those who spilled first blood.

In hunting birds, the bird belongs to hunter who brought it down.

In North America it’s the person who inflicts the mortal wound. There are reports of someone causing the last flesh wound or shooting downed game to try and claim it as theirs.

In Africa or anywhere a trophy fee is due upon drawing blood, the trophy goes to whoever drew first blood.
In the Western states where I've hunted (a lot) the animal belongs to whoever shoots the animal and inflicts a serious injury first. I have heard that in the East, where I have never hunted, it belongs to whoever kills it. I can't say that I understand this thinking. If someone else has wounded/crippled an animal and I find it, I'll certainly kill it but I have no desire to claim or tag it.

A few years ago a friend and I leased a piece of property for mule deer. I spotted a buck move into a patch of brush. As I moved down on a stalk the buck tried to sneak out. I went down on one knee, aimed and started to squeeze the trigger, a rifle shot sent the buck out on a stot (jumping run). A guy on the next property, across a canyon was shooting. He shit again and I saw hair fly. I hot on the buck at about a hundred yards and got off a shot. The bullet caught him through a ham and through the guts. The guy across the canyon shot again. My next shot broke the neck. That would be the buck not the idiot about three hundred yards away on another property. He yelled, "Good shot! I'm coming over!) As I made my way to the deer, my buddy moved down from above. He asked if I had done all that shooting. I told him that I had only shot twice, but he could see that I was upset (okay, pissed!). I told him that I had seen hair fly on the guys second shot. I said that if that guy shot the deer first I didn't want it, but I couldn't reward him by letting him have the buck. I knew where I had hit the buck, but I couldn't find the shot that cut hair. Finally, I found the bullet mark. The bullet had cut a line across the back, barely grooving the skin. I squeezed the mark and could barely get a trace of blood. I told my friend that I was taking the buck, and, " when the other guy that shot at it gets over here he and I are coming to an understanding."

When the other hunter showed up, I told him to be clear, it was my buck. He agreed. I asked why he was shooting at a buck on our property. He said, "I saw the buck going out and I didn't think you saw it. I got excited, and the next thing I knew I was shooting at it!"

So this time, no harm, no foul, but if he had hit an inch lower things would have gotten really awkward.

In the Western states where I've hunted (a lot) the animal belongs to whoever shoots the animal and inflicts a serious injury first. I have heard that in the East, where I have never hunted, it belongs to whoever kills it. I can't say that I understand this thinking. If someone else has wounded/crippled an animal and I find it, I'll certainly kill it but I have no desire to claim or tag it.

A few years ago a friend and I leased a piece of property for mule deer. I spotted a buck move into a patch of brush. As I moved down on a stalk the buck tried to sneak out. I went down on one knee, aimed and started to squeeze the trigger, a rifle shot sent the buck out on a stot (jumping run). A guy on the next property, across a canyon was shooting. He shit again and I saw hair fly. I hot on the buck at about a hundred yards and got off a shot. The bullet caught him through a ham and through the guts. The guy across the canyon shot again. My next shot broke the neck. That would be the buck not the idiot about three hundred yards away on another property. He yelled, "Good shot! I'm coming over!) As I made my way to the deer, my buddy moved down from above. He asked if I had done all that shooting. I told him that I had only shot twice, but he could see that I was upset (okay, pissed!). I told him that I had seen hair fly on the guys second shot. I said that if that guy shot the deer first I didn't want it, but I couldn't reward him by letting him have the buck. I knew where I had hit the buck, but I couldn't find the shot that cut hair. Finally, I found the bullet mark. The bullet had cut a line across the back, barely grooving the skin. I squeezed the mark and could barely get a trace of blood. I told my friend that I was taking the buck, and, " when the other guy that shot at it gets over here he and I are coming to an understanding."

When the other hunter showed up, I told him to be clear, it was my buck. He agreed. I asked why he was shooting at a buck on our property. He said, "I saw the buck going out and I didn't think you saw it. I got excited, and the next thing I knew I was shooting at it!"

So this time, no harm, no foul, but if he had hit an inch lower things would have gotten really awkward.
Is that actually written into law anywhere or just in practice? Really in the Eastern US it belongs to whoever puts a tag on it first. There is nothing in the rule book of who it belongs to if both hit the deer somewhere, but if a deer is wounded on property A and runs to property B where another hunter shoots, that hunter is likely going to have a tag on it before he ever even sees another hunter. I wouldn’t let a wounded buck walk past my stand assuming another hunter will be along to finish it off shortly and if they did (depending on size of trophy and who has permission to hunt that land) there’d be a similar discussion to what you described to who claims the deer. The difference between east and west that I see is the east has more hunters and generally guaranteed tags hunting on small properties. The west has less hunters in field because of draw system and hunt bigger areas.

Is that actually written into law anywhere or just in practice? Really in the Eastern US it belongs to whoever puts a tag on it first. There is nothing in the rule book of who it belongs to if both hit the deer somewhere, but if a deer is wounded on property A and runs to property B where another hunter shoots, that hunter is likely going to have a tag on it before he ever even sees another hunter. I wouldn’t let a wounded buck walk past my stand assuming another hunter will be along to finish it off shortly and if they did (depending on size of trophy and who has permission to hunt that land) there’d be a similar discussion to what you described to who claims the deer. The difference between east and west that I see is the east has more hunters and generally guaranteed tags hunting on small properties. The west has less hunters in field because of draw system and hunt bigger areas.
Not law, local custom. If somebody finds a dead deer that they didn't kill, but they tag it, legally it will belong to them. It's if the hunter that shot it shows up, things can get ,"real Western" in a hurry. I heard a story about that very thing happening with an elk. Nobody got shot, but it was ugly. I can not understand wanting a dead animal so badly that anyone that didn't shoot it first would want to tag it.

@Doug Hamilton

My guess it depends on where one is hunting East of the Mississippi River.

On private land if a hunter shoots an animal on another property by law/regulations (Tennessee, Ohio, North Carolina) the hunter must obtain permission from the property owner to recover the animal. Same goes if the hunter shoots an animal and that animal goes onto another property before expiring.

There are nice and nasty property owners. The nicest ones will let you recover the animal without questions, but don't be surprised if the landowner wants to check things out to make sure the hunter actually shot it where they claim. The nastiest landowners will tell the hunter to leave the animal lay.

Hunting public lands things can get a "little dicier" to say the least. I didn't see the guy that stole my deer, but another hunter did. Had another hunter a couple of days earlier, tried to claim he thought the deer I shot was a turkey. He started to bring his crossbow up to shoot and claim my deer. Then he saw me, my bow at the ready, and my revolver (44 mag) on my hip. He lowered his crossbow and went back to where he set up. There are many other stories of hunters having their deer taken, some where the other hunter brandished or outright pointed their gun at the hunter who actually killed the animal.

Hence why I always carry a sidearm when I go into the woods regardless of the season; archery, muzzleloader, or gun, small game, big game, waterfowl or upland bird.

There are also stories of hunters shooting cows, mules, and goats, the hunter claiming the animal was a deer.

@Doug Hamilton

My guess it depends on where one is hunting East of the Mississippi River.

On private land if a hunter shoots an animal on another property by law/regulations (Tennessee, Ohio, North Carolina) the hunter must obtain permission from the property owner to recover the animal. Same goes if the hunter shoots an animal and that animal goes onto another property before expiring.

There are nice and nasty property owners. The nicest ones will let you recover the animal without questions, but don't be surprised if the landowner wants to check things out to make sure the hunter actually shot it where they claim. The nastiest landowners will tell the hunter to leave the animal lay.

Hunting public lands things can get a "little dicier" to say the least. I didn't see the guy that stole my deer, but another hunter did. Had another hunter a couple of days earlier, tried to claim he thought the deer I shot was a turkey. He started to bring his crossbow up to shoot and claim my deer. Then he saw me, my bow at the ready, and my revolver (44 mag) on my hip. He lowered his crossbow and went back to where he set up. There are many other stories of hunters having their deer taken, some where the other hunter brandished or outright pointed their gun at the hunter who actually killed the animal.

Hence why I always carry a sidearm when I go into the woods regardless of the season; archery, muzzleloader, or gun, small game, big game, waterfowl or upland bird.

There are also stories of hunters shooting cows, mules, and goats, the hunter claiming the animal was a deer.
I think pretty much everywhere if an animal is wounded and crosses onto privately owned property the hunter must have the landowner's permission to enter and recover the animal. Some have even asked the game warden to intervene and ask the landowner, but in the end it is up to him to allow it or not.

We have all heard the stories of hunters killing domestic animals by mistake, but I don't know how many of these stories are true. In.one area where I hunted a beef cow was shot and killed. It happened at night with an AK-47. Clearly not an accident by a deer hunter. Since the property was part of Washington's "Feel Free to Hunt" program, many of us donated funds to help the rancher recoup his loss.

I think pretty much everywhere if an animal is wounded and crosses onto privately owned property the hunter must have the landowner's permission to enter and recover the animal. Some have even asked the game warden to intervene and ask the landowner, but in the end it is up to him to allow it or not.

We have all heard the stories of hunters killing domestic animals by mistake, but I don't know how many of these stories are true. In.one area where I hunted a beef cow was shot and killed. It happened at night with an AK-47. Clearly not an accident by a deer hunter. Since the property was part of Washington's "Feel Free to Hunt" program, many of us donated funds to help the rancher recoup his loss.
If there are trespassing laws in Pennsylvania I’ve never heard an instance they’ve been applied to hunting. Saying that as a frustrated landowner. It has gotten somewhat better each year as there are less hunters in woods though. I wouldn’t hesitate to cross a border to follow a wounded deer and wouldn’t object to anyone following a wounded deer across my land but it is frustrating to routinely find hunters pushing your land or setting stand up on the border to overlook your land. Trespassing while hunting is not taken seriously here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NathanStre

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com