Who's Trophy is it anyway? Wounded Animals

@Hunt anything - you must have some very good Self Control and handled that situation well. I can’t think of any reason for someone to tie up your retriever as you described and especially when they could hear you “whistling” for your dog.
It was a little more confrontational than I described.

Yeah, when that guy's dog tears into yours you will just stand there and say "Oh please, poochy, stop that." Some strange dog rips into my dog/kid, he would be lucky to only get the boot, especially if I'm standing there with a gun in my hands. I considered myself lucky that she just got kicked. Not sure I wouldn't have done worse. We don't have time to think in those situations. Thankful his reactions were what they were. Only a fool would have attempted to escalate the situation. But hey HankBuck, if the shoe fits ...

A few years back I got roped into filling a vacancy on my brother's boss's outfitted goose hunt to SK. I brought my two Labs and Fr Britt as we were already in Montana bird hunting. The other guy in the party showed up with a useless two year-old Chesapeak that had a very unpredictable disposition. I knew something was wrong when it jumped out of the truck tied to a logging chain. I had to leave my dogs in the vehicle almost the entire trip. A couple of times I needed to get Opal out to make water retrieves (his dog was less than spotty retreiver). I told him, "You better tie that dog up." He said it would be okay. "Well, if it turns out not 'okay' you will have a dead dog to take home." He put it back in his truck. Then that night he ties the damn thing up right outside the apartment door so my dogs can't get out to do their business. Hell, I was nervous walking past that grumpy mutt. "Get your head out of your ass or get down the road with that gawdam dog." Fortunately, our useless outfitter finally stepped in. I learned the following year the dog disappeared one night chasing deer and never returned. One of the neighbors doubtless fixed the problem.
@Ontario Hunter - hey I wasn’t there and you have all the details about how someone else “kicked your dog”, maybe the dog deserved it as I’ve encountered some poorly behaved & untrained dogs in the field and owners that could Not handle them or just didn’t care, maybe the guys were Bigger then you, aggressive & looking for trouble and in that case a “retreat is better then valor”. I’m not 2nd guessing your judgement - you were the one that had to suffer the consequences of any heroic decisions and maybe you made the right call…only you know.

It was a little more confrontational than I described.
@Hunt anything - I’ll bet it was — sounds like a nasty event and I would be happy to get myself AND My Dog out of that Safely….. It would also have “wrecked” that day’s hunt for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HAHNKIARA77

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?