What’s the thoughts on the .223 on all plains game with a match bullet trend ?

I never advocated shooting anything up the ass

I just like having enough gun to blow through both shoulders of everything I shoot after I wait for them to turn.

Makes tracking really easy when they are DRT
I agree with you. Use a large enough cartridge that you can shoot well. If it’s not a reasonable cartridge for the game you’re hunting, practice until you’re proficient with one that is.

I think the reason small cartridges kill better than expected is that they are placed accurately. No question a bigger cartridge has the potential to kill more cleanly given the same shot placement. The problem is that they often aren’t. People discount the importance of adequate cartridge performance on game (see 6.5 CM for the elk) as well as the adverse effect of recoil on shot placement (see Kevin Robertson’s comments on Wby cartridges for big game hunting in his books).

In other words, it’s an optimization problem for each individual hunter, not an absolute answer that bigger is better or that shot placement is the only thing that matters. Which goes back to my contention that there is less difference between cartridges than we suppose. I’m narrowing my hunting cartridges down to 223 (coyote, varmints), 6.5 Prc (deer, pronghorn, small plains game), 300 PRC(elk, moose, large plains game), and 375 H&H (large plains game, DG). With the possible addition of a 6.5 CM L hand for my boys to use as a first game rifle. Limited overlap between cartridges, and each one ideal for a certain class of game.

I contend there is little difference in effectiveness on deer sized game between the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC. But for elk, there clearly is. LOL I think at this point I’m just rambling, but I do want to agree with you about having enough gun.

I agree with you. Use a large enough cartridge that you can shoot well. If it’s not a reasonable cartridge for the game you’re hunting, practice until you’re proficient with one that is.

I think the reason small cartridges kill better than expected is that they are placed accurately. No question a bigger cartridge has the potential to kill more cleanly given the same shot placement. The problem is that they often aren’t. People discount the importance of adequate cartridge performance on game (see 6.5 CM for the elk) as well as the adverse effect of recoil on shot placement (see Kevin Robertson’s comments on Wby cartridges for big game hunting in his books).

In other words, it’s an optimization problem for each individual hunter, not an absolute answer that bigger is better or that shot placement is the only thing that matters. Which goes back to my contention that there is less difference between cartridges than we suppose. I’m narrowing my hunting cartridges down to 223 (coyote, varmints), 6.5 Prc (deer, pronghorn, small plains game), 300 PRC(elk, moose, large plains game), and 375 H&H (large plains game, DG). With the possible addition of a 6.5 CM L hand for my boys to use as a first game rifle. Limited overlap between cartridges, and each one ideal for a certain class of game.

I contend there is little difference in effectiveness on deer sized game between the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC. But for elk, there clearly is. LOL I think at this point I’m just rambling, but I do want to agree with you about having enough gun.
Well I also don’t disagree that shot placement is paramount

I just want the trifecta of 1) Good Shooting Angle 2) Accurate Shot 3) Enough cartridge with a Premium Bullet to punch though the animal’s far shoulder after I am patient enough to wait for the good angle snd skilled enough to make an accurate shot

Shame on anyone who isn’t patient, can’t shoot or fails to use an adequate cartridge/bullet

Fortunately for me, after 50 years of hunting and shooting I have learned to shoot powerful guns accurately.

Case in point…this pic is me checking my Zero upon arrival at camp for my 2023 Cape Buffalo hunt. I put 3 shots in a 2 1/2 in bullseye at 100 yards.

With my .416 Rem Mag Win 70 Safari Express
I have no issues shooting it off the bench

Same with my .300 Wby Mark V Accumark

Shoot the biggest gun you can shoot accurately…bottom line.

For me that is a 416 Rem Mag for DG and a .300 Wby for PG.
For someone else that might be bigger or smaller

But to use LESS THAN an adequate cartridge is stupidity and showboating and disrespectful to the animals being shot.

If you can’t shoot a .375 accurately…you’re gonna have to stick to plains game.
If a 7mm-08 is too much gun for you to shoot accurately…you should stick to hunting coyotes in the US. Jus sayin

I can tell you that the PH and trackers had a lot of confidence that nobody was gonna die after watching me check my zero at 100 yards

1724181010998.jpeg

1724181045899.jpeg

1724181087135.jpeg

Last edited:
It’ll work. I’ve shot over a hundred plains game with a 223. Typically head and neck shots. Everything ranging from impala, kudu, bwb, and gemsbok. If you don’t see the animals every day I would say a 243 should be minimum. Everything should be done to minimize risk of wounding an animal and that goes for caliber choice.

Yes, it will kill. No, very very poor choice of caliber. Stupid stupid stupid choice for too many reasons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acetylcholine

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with