What’s the thoughts on the .223 on all plains game with a match bullet trend?

@Inline6
Who said anything about using a 22cal for a stopping
rifle? The same could be said with 30-06, would you feel comfortable with that in your hands in the same situation? Someone I'm sure will say yes. Stopping rifle are a completely different subject. I'll take it a step further, some PHs use a 375h&h for a stopping rifle, manly due to funds. Most would want the first number to start with a 4 at a minimum if I had to guess.

I would feel a whole lot more comfortable with a 30-06 with a 200gr or 220gr bullet than any 22 cal with a 77gr or 80gr bullet of any variety. Simply because the 30-06 will hit a whole lot harder and delivery the energy needed to penetrait through heavy bone and dense muscle.

Have to go back a ways on the forum's post where one renoun PH culled a lot of elephants with a 30-06.

With good ballistic reasoning African countries have legal minimum caliber 9.3 or .375 for dangerous game. It's because these are the minimum calibers that deliver the proper kenetic energy and penetration needed to humanely kill dangerous game.

PHs use a 375h&h for a stopping rifle, manly due to funds

A poll would have to be taken of the PH members on this forum, but I would expect if not all, the majority of them back thier DG client with a rifle that's starts with a .4 caliber.

Let's take Africa DG and large PG, using the equivalent North American big game: Elk, Moose, and Bears.

No longer hunting tens or hundreds of thousands of acres of private land nor a variety of available species.

A hunter has paid their dues buying quota points, waiting years to be drawn for that one particular quota hunt area on public land; or they have paid thousands of dollars for an outfitter and a tag.

You are advocating that the hunter use a 22 caliber, that when the lighter 22 bullet hits/nicks bone or looses most of its energy penetraiting dense muscle, with a greater chance of the animal making it onto another property or being recovered by another hunter, over a more efficient larger caliber.

I'll advocate that the hunter use a proper bigger caliber, using a heavier bullet, delivering more foot pounds of energy to penetrait bone and dense muscle, with less chance of the animal making it onto another property or loosing their animal to another hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaulEqm871

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!