Video of giraffe harvested with 6mm

Where I would disagree is the ability to place a good shot with 375 vs smaller cartridge. I think most shooters would struggle with that

Why? I’m happy to say l shoot most of my 25 or so rifles equally accurate from a field position at the distances that we hunt.

Where I would disagree is the ability to place a good shot with 375 vs smaller cartridge. I think most shooters would struggle with that

Why? I’m happy to say l shoot most of my 25 or so rifles equally accurate from a field position at the distances that we hunt.

If a person flinches on an 8 lb 30/06 they are likely going to flinch on a 243 as well. They are flinching at something other than recoil at that point and need training to break bad habits or a suppressor or both. There are appropriate for the animal cartridges with easily controlled recoil available, especially with a well fitting stock and some added weight like a 30/06. However, I see no reason why the average grown man can’t learn to shoot a 375 well. Recoil above a 375 I think is dependent on the individual. I can shoot my 458 reasonably well, but the amount of apprehension in my mind when pulling the trigger is crazy to me. I absolutely do not enjoy shooting it, but i practiced and videoed myself shooting to see where I needed to improve. I’d have more respect for the smaller caliber is better argument if people openly admitted they have a flinching issue and use smaller calibers as a way to mitigate it instead of trying to say small calibers kill equally well as larger calibers in all situations. Modern bullet choices have certainly made smaller calibers more effective than they were in past but they’ve also made larger calibers equally more effective.

Where the story is posted, the gentleman doing the shooting indicated something to the effect of the PH saying that a giraffe will stand there for the first shot but bolt on the second. That may be the answer to the question about why only one round expended. Having never been around a giraffe other than in a zoo I have no idea. Seems like you’d shoot until its eyes glaze over but again I am ignorant in the ways of the critter.

If you listen to Kevin Robertson on the Big Game Hunting Podcast, he actually agrees with you somewhat. His loaner rifle was a very heavy 9.3x62 with heavy for caliber bullets loaded slow. His theory was client shoot it more accurately than a harder recoiling rifle. I’d agree with that with a rental rifle. There is nothing worse than shooting a hard recoiling rental rifle that doesn’t fit well and you had no prior practice with. With your own rifles though, you have almost unlimited time to learn to shoot it well or decide if you need a change. There are certain stock designs that just don’t fit me well specially browning and tikka.

Where the story is posted, the gentleman doing the shooting indicated something to the effect of the PH saying that a giraffe will stand there for the first shot but bolt on the second. That may be the answer to the question about why only one round expended. Having never been around a giraffe other than in a zoo I have no idea. Seems like you’d shoot until its eyes glaze over but again I am ignorant in the ways of the critter.
It stands there in video giving good opportunity to additional shots. The goal was clearly a 1 shot kill with a 6mm if possible.

That Giraffe suffered longer than it should have. That is wrong.

As someone who has taken plenty of PG and North American animals with a .243, I’ve always used a follow up shot if there was any concern of an animal suffering. I could give two shits if it was a one shot kill. I apply the same ethics to any caliber I use. I shot a Giraffe in the neck with an .375 and It went straight down and still used 2 follow up vital shots. Hippo brain shot, still followed up with a vital shot. Buff went straight down with one shot from .375 H&H and still used 2 vital shots. Croc on land in the neck/spine just behind the smile, two follow up vital shots…

I can appreciate a practiced and accomplished shooter because I am one. As a hunter I believe we are obligated to be the best possible shot with any chosen rifle/caliber to ensure the best kill shot on an animal with the least amount of suffering. We are obligated to prevent suffering which often requires a quick follow up shot.

The shooter and his co hunters have harvested more large game animals than most if not all on this board. 100s of elk, mule deer, black bear, brown bear, sheep, goats, etc.

Africa is not some magical place where animals don’t die. It is proven, yes I say proven, that elk, bear, and other animals can be ethically taken with small caliber rifles with appropriate bullets. 100s and 100s of examples. These guys teach others how to shoot, and have shown time and time again that smaller calibers are shot more proficiently than larger ones.

This trip in the video was to show that the same principals work in Africa. 15 animals (waterbuck, sable, giraffe) were all taken with a 6mmUM with 115gr bullet. They were harvested ethically and in all cases cleanly.

No one here has to change. But the data, yes data, is showing that most would be better served with a smaller cartridge with an appropriate bullet than a larger one.

I think dangerous game is a middle ground but I believe that modern bullets like CEB raptor offer benefit there too.

You’re a reasonable and smart dude 375. I have full confidence you’ll be hunting with a 223 soon!
If you consider that a clean harvest of an animal, then we have no point of mutual discussion.

I find this small caliber nonsense reprehensible, and could care less about the "data."

This was a stupid stunt and I have zero respect for those who did it. The entire premise of going out to prove that it can be done with a 6mm is moronic. Of course it can, that doesn’t make it right. The ethics of not firing a second shot that was obviously needed, to ensure that the job got done with one shot is beyond the pale. This ranks right up there with Mark Sullivan gut shooting Buffalo and then provoking a charge. If you’re going to post any more of this crap a warning would be appreciated. I for one don’t want to watch it.

But the data, yes data, is showing that most would be better served with a smaller cartridge with an appropriate bullet than a larger one.
Well, that's just not true. Using and repeating the word "data" does not make your statement factual.

You already had me leery of your knowledge and motives when leading with the bold claim on a prominent hunting forum that the shooter and his cohorts in this nonsense have shot more big game than almost everyone. ... then you post opinions without any statistical information and present it as facts and "proven" "data". Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And clearly your viewpoint of what is ethical (or not) is much different than most on this forum.

Perhaps most importantly, if this video is part of your "data," you've actually proven that a bigger gun or follow up shots would have been better.

I am 100% with @375Fox on this!

Besides, shooter in video is not even dressed as hunter. No dress code, no ethics with inappropriate calibers, etc... This video has no educational value to any true hunter.

On a similar thread someone wrote “just because you can it doesn’t mean you should”

Personally, I don’t think 6mm or .243 diameter is suitable for a large animal.

I often write shot placement matters but commonsense matters too.

I took Wildebeest and Kudu with a 7mmRM the actual diameter, frontal area etc are a fair bit bigger and the projectile weight and velocity are probably at the lower end of acceptable for Giraffe.

Last edited:
Not my video! Just interested in thoughts.

@Daisy
It's the last calibre I would recommend for giraffe.
I've seen them soak up seven well placed 375 H&H rounds.
Nice stunt but to me it took to long to die. Plenty of chances to put another shot or more in to finish the job quicker
Bob

I hear you. I’m in the middle. There is data out there though. I like reading it all and making my own decision.
@Daisy
If'n the data is out there why aren't you practicing what you preach. You have these lovely big cartridges that are more suitable for game so why oh why try and push this stuff on us
If'n y'all want to walk the walk and talk the talk sell all your big toys and just shoot sub optimal cartridges.
When the SHTF don't complain to me as all you will get from me is it told you so.
I will be a silly old fart and use enough gun for what I hunt in ALL conditions with out dated old fashioned bullets like cup and core or bonded.
Bob

@Daisy
If'n they can't handle the appropriate calibre don't shoot the game
My beanpole daughter who shoots very little can shoot my full power Whelen loads accurately. Connie Brookes shoots a 460 Weatherby without issue.
Don't give me that crap. If you put in enough time behind the but you should be able to handle a bigger calibre without issues the same as a small calibre
Bib

Against my better judgment, I watched the video. I regret watching it. That video will only hurt hunters and conservation efforts. It's a little sadistic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?