Video of giraffe harvested with 6mm

It stands there in video giving good opportunity to additional shots. The goal was clearly a 1 shot kill with a 6mm if possible.
If a second shot had been fired the video would not have been posted. The point of the stunt was to show that a giraffe could be killed with one shot from a 6mm. For all we know, several giraffe were shot to make this.

I just don’t understand the point of any of this. You can kill any big game animal with any center fire rifle. Is 6mm the best choice? No. Not taking follow up shots to prove some point is kind of Mark Sullivan like. Also, kind of odd that the giraffe ended up between them and the truck.

A giraffe shot with a .375 would have had the same experience more or less.

Caliber/bullet discussion consumes a huge portion of hunting talk, but in my opinion it is the least important aspect of what makes a successful hunt. As long as you stay out of the margins, which this probably counts as in the margins, caliber selection really doesn’t matter.

It’s not legal. And I’ve said a million times that I think energy does matter with dangerous game
And energy dont matter when hunting non-dangerous game because?

Most probably because it is ok for to let the giraffe die slowly to prove your point, but since the buff might kill you suddenly your point got lost.

And energy dont matter when hunting non-dangerous game because?

Most probably because it is ok for to let the giraffe die slowly to prove your point, but since the buff might kill you suddenly your point got lost.
How many times do I have to say it’s not my video. I’ve never harvested a giraffe. Stop being a jerk.

The animal died in a very normal time frame for animals shot. Many animals run off and die 100 yards away one minute later. You can say the hunter should have shot again having a clear shot. That’s fine. But that animal didn’t suffer longer than many of the animals everyone here harvests all the time.

Last edited:
Life is full of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" moments.....

It’s not legal. And I’ve said a million times that I think energy does matter with dangerous game
i disagree. energy does not kill an animal, long damaging holes thru the vitals of an animal is what does the job.

ultimately, it is a proper bullet that does the job. a beanbag shot out of a launcher at an elephant that produces 3,000 ft lbs will strike an elephant in the head or body and do no real harm. a 7mm solid bullet will strike the same elephant, in the same location and kill it dead. both are 3000 ft lbs.
the same 7mm with a soft bullet (berger, etc) will strike the same elephant and not penetrate the head or body and will only wound the beast.

energy merely relates how powerful the gun is that we are firing. the bullet does the work.

i disagree. energy does not kill an animal, long damaging holes thru the vitals of an animal is what does the job.

ultimately, it is a proper bullet that does the job. a beanbag shot out of a launcher at an elephant that produces 3,000 ft lbs will strike an elephant in the head or body and do no real harm. a 7mm solid bullet will strike the same elephant, in the same location and kill it dead. both are 3000 ft lbs.
the same 7mm with a soft bullet (berger, etc) will strike the same elephant and not penetrate the head or body and will only wound the beast.

energy merely relates how powerful the gun is that we are firing. the bullet does the work.
Agreed, but if we leave the brain shot elephant out of it, that soft 7mm through the lungs of a bull elk, kudu, zebra, etc. will kill those animals quickly. A non expanding bullet in the same place will not kill fast and may not kill at all. The solid will certainly penetrate alk the way through and exit. The soft would not even need to exit. The status of the bean bag doesn't change at all.

Energy alone doesn’t kill an animal. However, If two bullets achieve the same penetration, the bullet shot from a cartridge producing more energy should get a faster kill. The energy transfer is seen as more tissue damage and a larger wound channel. Part of the bullet’s job is to transfer that energy into the animal. The larger the bullet mushrooms and slows down in an animal the more energy gets transferred. Energy is one part of making an ethical kill. Penetration and bullet performance are equal parts as well.

Energy alone doesn’t kill an animal. However, If two bullets achieve the same penetration, the bullet shot from a cartridge producing more energy should get a faster kill. The energy transfer is seen as more tissue damage and a larger wound channel. Part of the bullet’s job is to transfer that energy into the animal. The larger the bullet mushrooms and slows down in an animal the more energy gets transferred. Energy is one part of making an ethical kill. Penetration and bullet performance are equal parts as well.
Exactly. A non expanding bullet will certainly penetrate but will not deliver the energy (shock) to the vitals of the animal. Bullet performance is just as important as penetration.

The anti’s will have a field day with this!

I have a 223 that’s now on its 3rd barrel from culling game, not shooting targets, so I’m pretty sure I’ve shot more game than the a$$hole in the video.
On game the size of giraffe, anything under 7mm is simply unethical, and quite frankly STUPID.

The bigger and deeper the hole, the better!

That seemed like an awfully long time for the animal to be downed.

Curious, are there any minimum calibers for giraffe in any countries?

In my opinion, this is as wrong as the Colorado Governor!

Notice argument has gone from is 6mm enough to now attacking the shooters ethics on not shooting enough. Let’s not move the goalpost please
The goalposts stand for ethical hunting.

Any other suggestion is absurd and ignorant. Yes, I am calling out this statement.

If ethics don't matter, I don't care for any shooter that says its hunting. The attempt at proving a rationale for the 6mm is irrelevant.

If the shooter wants to prove something, and completely disregards the taking the life of an animal and does not shoot again to end life with utmost dispatch, and ensure minimal suffering, then I have no respect and abhor this stunt.

I am completely disgusted.

@Daisy
If'n they can't handle the appropriate calibre don't shoot the game
My beanpole daughter who shoots very little can shoot my full power Whelen loads accurately. Connie Brookes shoots a 460 Weatherby without issue.
Don't give me that crap. If you put in enough time behind the but you should be able to handle a bigger calibre without issues the same as a small calibre
Bib
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen, Damn right!

The bullet traveled “24+ inches” took out the top of the heart and caused major lung damage. I’ve seen the pictures as I am sure others have as well. The trauma is quite extensive. At the 50 yard broadside range where the shot was purported to have been taken, I am wondering how the animal would be any more dead with a larger caliber bullet, the lack of a follow up shot not withstanding. I don’t like that part. Seems like a well placed shot from most any cartridge with a bullet reasonable for plains game would do the job in this particular scenario. I certainly don’t think the situation is worthy of a chest beating video.

The bullet traveled “24+ inches” took out the top of the heart and caused major lung damage. I’ve seen the pictures as I am sure others have as well. The trauma is quite extensive. At the 50 yard broadside range where the shot was purported to have been taken, I am wondering how the animal would be any more dead with a larger caliber bullet, the lack of a follow up shot not withstanding. I don’t like that part. Seems like a well placed shot from most any cartridge with a bullet reasonable for plains game would do the job in this particular scenario. I certainly don’t think the situation is worthy of a chest beating video.
It’s a little more than a chest beating video. It’s a small caliber agenda being pushed on a different forum. It is nice to see this is one of few topics AH almost unanimously agrees on though.

Okay. So in this one circumstance, a broadside shot at a standing animal a .243 reached the top of the heart and the giraffe died. I'm sure that a shot to the top of the neck where it meets the skull would also have resulted in death for the animal. Now does that make the .243 an appropriate caliber for hunting a game animal of this size? Most animals do not stand still in the perfect position waiting to be executed. Quartered away, or quartered towards the shooter the shot would have been impossible for such a light cartridge. This was a stunt and nothing more. No hunter in a real hunting situation would do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alejandra6

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia