on a lighter note...

0BE07E7C-CCB0-4223-9B3C-2EA5068BE440.jpeg

Not humorous, so sorta out of line with this thread...

Helo pilots are voodoo witch doctors, cuz those effing things fly by magic.

View attachment 610045

I really don't know how they flew single engine helos like the Huey back in the day.

There are 3 main controls that these voodoo witch doctors use to keep from killing themselves, their crew, and their passengers.

There is the collective, located to the left of the pilot's seat. Moving this up or down changes the pitch angle of all rotor blades simultaneously, or collectively. Raise the collective, the pitch angle increases, the helo gains altitude. But increasing the pitch angle increases the torque requirement to the collective on the engine, reducing the amount of torque available to "rudder" pedals. With less torque available to the tail rotor, the bird wants to start turning, so the rudder pedals have to be adjusted. Adjusting the rudder pedals to compensate for this removes torque available to the collective.

While that dance is going on, the purpose of a helo is to move from point A to point B, so let's introduce the collective (the stick in between this witch doctor's legs). The collective changes the direction the mast is facing. Push the collective forward and you actually start moving forward. But as you start moving, you're increasing the amount of air flow over the rotors, increasing the lift you just applied by pulling up on the collective. So now you have to let off on the collective, which "releases" torque to the tail rotor, causing the bird to want to turn again.

Here's where it gets really tricky. The faster the bird flies, the more lift the blades generate, so back off on the collective some more. But it gets even better than that, so I'll introduce you to another witch doctor, the engineers who designed all of this shit stuff. As the helo moves forward, the rotors on one side are moving forward, and thus faster, relative to the rotors that are on other side and moving slower. So these engineers witch doctors figured out a way to sorta break the "collective" pitch angle of the rotors by slightly decreasing the pitch of the blades as they move forward, and I believe slightly increase the pitch on the side that's moving aft.

Any more, the newer helos like Blackhawk have twin turboshaft engines, so all the screwy crap with the torque is ameliorated a bit.

But I swear, they're all voodoo witch doctors. Planes can largely fly themselves. Flying a helicopter takes giant balls and a whole lotta magic.
Dude, those of us, like me, who flew the Vertbird in the 1970s know all this and are expert helo pilots. It’s not that hard! Lol.
IMG_4416.jpeg

Bertha gets to the gates of heaven. St. Peter asks about her cause of death. She replies "gonorrhea". St. Peter says "You don't die from gonorrhea". Bertha replies "You do if you give it to Leroy".

Holy crap. I couldn't even sleep at 78º unless the humidity were down around 5 - 10%

Our house was built on 2x6 with R21. Even at 3300 sf, I can run the A/C all day at 70 - 72º and still have August electricity bill no more than $300

My office has 2 laptops, 4 monitors all 27", a server with an old 15" (runs warm) monitor, a NAS, 2 routers, a switch, 2 UPS, and the heart of the home security system. It would be a sauna in here if I set the thermostat any higher than about 74º

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trangchuhi88

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!