Hunting SA or "Wild" Africa - Which is Better

Exactly, we are hunting, regardless of conditions, and location.

I may not ever be able afford and experience true wild Africa, but I'm extremely happy to hunt the fenced concessions of South Africa, and I appreciate what South Africa has to offer. Making dreams a reality for regular Joes who can only afford a hunt every 5-10 years.

Heck, I enjoy walking 100 meters to my elevated, enclosed, deer blind. There I may sit all day or maybe only an hour gazing over a 150 meter by 180 degree field. Maybe I will see something.

Setting foot in Africa with a rifle, be it a larger fence compound or open, tribal area is Heaven to a hunter...

It's all good

Very interesting thread!

I took my first hunting trip to Africa a few months ago not really knowing what to expect. We hunted Free State and Limpopo in South Africa, very different experiences.

I was very interested in how the game farms were managed and asked questions. There were no "put and take" areas being hunted by our outfitter. The animals looked and acted wild, there was the proper mix of young and adult animals. We saw some predators, hyenas and jackals and were told there are leopards in the area. As far as managing the animals, I was told what they do is very limited. They do survey poulations by spotlighting, helicopter and drone. A farm might be closed to a certain species for a time to allow its population to rebound. During severe drought periods they provide enough support to the wildlife to keep animals alive, pumping water to water holes and providing feed in rare cases. Also move males around from other areas to keep genitic diversity.

The fences were distracting to me at times. Sometimes we would drive along a fence for miles, sometimes we would go hours without seeing a fence. I saw a large Kudu jump the fence. Also saw smaller animals going under courtesy of burrowing by ardvarks and warthogs. Animals are everywhere, I saw a lot in Limpopo that were not in a high fenced area. One of the guys in my group took a really nice Kudu with his bow at a water hole just a couple hundred yards from our lodge, no fences!

So my perspective after one trip to South Africa...I understand those who yearn for a true wilderness hunt. But my experiece was great! The animals were wild, and plentyful so we had lots of opportunites. We also put in long days and worked hard at it! I like being able to be at the lodge for dinner every night and interacting with the other hunters from all over around the fire afterwards. Kuche Safaries was amazing. Great people, a family run business. They take great care of you at the lodge and in the field. We have already booked again with them.

Because good is better, but better is best! ;) :ROFLMAO:
My very best, as always!

7140C63B-4D50-4565-9B93-7831ACC11C96.jpeg

Wildlife ranching in South Africa has been the saving Grace for all wildlife in Southern Africa. There are more privately owned game animals in SA than in all the National parks including lions and rhino but excluding elephants. It is only possible thanks to you the hunter that makes it viable.Most outfitters use large concession areas so you don’t feel like you are hunting fish in a barrel! If you prescribe to ethical hunting a fenced in areas will still be a challenge!

Isn’t the use of the term “concession” by safari operators operating on private property just a bit of marketing wordplay intended to make what they’re selling sound similar to the government owned land concessions elsewhere(like wild Africa)?

The definition technically applies to land that’s use has been conceded to someone by ANY controlling body so I guess it’s not a huge deal. It’s just that that term is mostly associated with a government land use. Just something I noticed..

Since it’s been watered down everyone can refer to their deer leases as concessions!

The same goes for the term “reserve” as well. Almost always a government deal…

Last edited:
Isn’t the use of the term “concession” by safari operators operating on private property just a bit of marketing wordplay intended to make what they’re selling sound similar to the government owned land concessions elsewhere(like wild Africa)?

The definition technically applies to land that’s use has been conceded to someone by ANY controlling body so I guess it’s not a huge deal. It’s just that that term is mostly associated with a government land use. Just something I noticed..

Since it’s been watered down everyone can refer to their deer leases as concessions!

Agree. I believe the definitions have “evolved” from my original understand.

Correct . Private land is not a concession.

I

It is kinda a play on words but there ia a legal connotation in that many outfitter’s don’t own all their own land so they need to get a transfer of hunting rights and there for be granted a concession on that land…

Fellow Hunters,

I have tried to remember that some folks get their hackles up when I refer to an African hunting lease as a “concession”, unless it is truly gigantic and definitely government or tribal owned.
This, in spite of the dictionary definition of “concession”, (being pretty much any space leased / rented from the rightful owner thereof, for the purpose of the renter conducting business / making money).

One smartass example is that an 8 foot by 8 foot carnival booth which, is leased / rented, for the purpose of the renter selling popcorn, is by definition, a “concession”.

Anyway, the English dictionary definition aside, I do agree that within the context of hunting in Africa, this word “concession” seems to be generally more acceptable to some folks when referring only to massive tracts of land that, are definitely not owned by private persons.
In other words, even if they are leased to a safari company, said lands had better be owned by tribal organization/s or, the government.
If not then, some folks are sure to get annoyed.

And so, I try to remember, when referring to hunting lands, leased from private / not government, not tribal owners, to call them “hunting leases”.
**Once in awhile I do forget and say the “concession” word, when referring to other than government and / or tribal hunting land.
But, I do not do so to be difficult.
Well ok, the rented carnival popcorn booth was meant to be a wisecrack. LoL (But it is by definition a “concession”, just admittedly not really in the Africa hunting lease context).
**I make the mistake sometimes due to being a forgetful old buzzard.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Very interesting thread!

I took my first hunting trip to Africa a few months ago not really knowing what to expect. We hunted Free State and Limpopo in South Africa, very different experiences.

I was very interested in how the game farms were managed and asked questions. There were no "put and take" areas being hunted by our outfitter. The animals looked and acted wild, there was the proper mix of young and adult animals. We saw some predators, hyenas and jackals and were told there are leopards in the area. As far as managing the animals, I was told what they do is very limited. They do survey poulations by spotlighting, helicopter and drone. A farm might be closed to a certain species for a time to allow its population to rebound. During severe drought periods they provide enough support to the wildlife to keep animals alive, pumping water to water holes and providing feed in rare cases. Also move males around from other areas to keep genitic diversity.

The fences were distracting to me at times. Sometimes we would drive along a fence for miles, sometimes we would go hours without seeing a fence. I saw a large Kudu jump the fence. Also saw smaller animals going under courtesy of burrowing by ardvarks and warthogs. Animals are everywhere, I saw a lot in Limpopo that were not in a high fenced area. One of the guys in my group took a really nice Kudu with his bow at a water hole just a couple hundred yards from our lodge, no fences!

So my perspective after one trip to South Africa...I understand those who yearn for a true wilderness hunt. But my experiece was great! The animals were wild, and plentyful so we had lots of opportunites. We also put in long days and worked hard at it! I like being able to be at the lodge for dinner every night and interacting with the other hunters from all over around the fire afterwards. Kuche Safaries was amazing. Great people, a family run business. They take great care of you at the lodge and in the field. We have already booked again with them.

Out of interest how many other hunters were there, and where were they hunting ?......

I

It is kinda a play on words but there ia a legal connotation in that many outfitter’s don’t own all their own land so they need to get a transfer of hunting rights and there for be granted a concession on that land…
I understand and agree but as Velo Dog notes in his following post, it’s the context that matters. Folks are indeed making a play on word association trying to equate good destinations with better ones. Or the best ones.

Wildlife ranching in South Africa has been the saving Grace for all wildlife in Southern Africa. There are more privately owned game animals in SA than in all the National parks including lions and rhino but excluding elephants. It is only possible thanks to you the hunter that makes it viable.Most outfitters use large concession areas so you don’t feel like you are hunting fish in a barrel! If you prescribe to ethical hunting a fenced in areas will still be a challenge!

OK John....you say most outfitters use large concession areas....but there are hundreds...maybe more of game ranches in SA, and not being funny but obviously a majority aren't going to be in that category....not being argumentative just saying....and I obviously know bugger all about SA game ranching...... ;)

Out of interest how many other hunters were there, and where were they hunting ?......
Between 10 and 20 other hunters in camp while we were there. I don't know where they were hunting, I don't know where I was hunting, where ever my PH took me. Never saw another hunter in rhe field, only in camp.

OK John....you say most outfitters use large concession areas....but there are hundreds...maybe more of game ranches in SA, and not being funny but obviously a majority aren't going to be in that category....not being argumentative just saying....and I obviously know bugger all about SA game ranching...... ;)
Indeed Spike! But not all outfitters use large areas.one of the requirements to be an Outfitter in SA is to either have your own land on which you operate on or you become a PH for 3 years and then apply to be an Outfitter using an others land. This is where the transfer of hunting rights comes into play. It’s a way for the authorities to prevent fly by night operations where you get sold a hunt and end up poaching or hunting land that has no facilities and little game. Each parcel of land is vetted by the Department.Sometimes the land is being used by the owners and outfitters. Sometimes the Outfitter owns one tract and hunts his neighbors parcel also. So even though the guy has a million acres it may be made up of 20 individual farms. You typically sign a 3 year lease which is the validity of an Outfitter’s permit.

Go in any on direction long enough and you will hit a natural or man made barrier.

This being said, I've hunted large fenced and non fenced lands. Once you get to a certain size acreage (hectare) you and the animal won't know the difference.

Very interesting and great learning post!
Mostly for newcomers and those who have never been to Africa (Me)... yet

Thank you very much all of you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Will Green

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg