Got my first elk hunt this year - Help me pick a cartridge

Which cartridge to use??

• Total voters
Aren't lighter bullets more susceptible to wind drift? Yes! Just another reason to go with heavy bullets.

@Daisy you started this thread looking for confirmation on a variety of calibers, all with relatively light weights and an eclectic assortment. Many, very experienced elk hunters have responded and told you what has worked for them and given a gentle "thumbs down" to your bullet selections. When a few folks have given you more detailed, wise, sage advice, your response has been, "I don't want to get into a bullet debate."

It's a free world and there are lots of bullets and calibers to choose from. It's your hunt, so pick whatever bullet you want and go hunting.
The point about lightweight bullets and wind drift should definitely be a consideration, especially for modern elk hunters who feel compelled to shoot across canyons into the next zip code. I was a tracker in timber and most of my elk and moose (actually all but one) were taken less than eighty yards. And, as I've said, one needs to consider how much power a lightweight bullet will retain at ultralong distances. There's a big difference between making metal gong at a thousand yards and putting an 800 lb animal down at that range. I believe a 200 gr (or better yet 190 gr) bullet pushed out of a 300 Win Mag would have plenty of stopping power up to 400 yards, maybe even 500 yards. No one will convince me a 150 gr bullet designed to "shed petals" on impact will have enough gas left at those ranges to effectively kill an animal that size with any regularity.

What experience I do have with material shedding bullets is strictly limited to 165 gr 30-06 Partitions. Yes, they are killers but two factors turn me off. The first being, as mentioned earlier, the splatter factor at close range. I prefer to eat what I shoot or at least ensure whoever does get the meat is not looking at something shameful when the hide is peeled off. "What asshole did this?" The second drawback is they don't seem to stay on track after impact. I shot this buck last fall at about 220 yards. He had just turned from facing me (I declined that shot as too risky given my position) to turning left (my left) to walk off. As soon as he stopped I put a Partition behind but just touching his left shoulder. The bullet was lodged under the hide of his right ham. A cup and core bullet would not have strayed that far from original trajectory.
20231121_113037.jpg

Rig I’ll be using. This is 338 Lapua barrel with March 2.5-25 scope and AB raptor 8 suppressor with 5” reflex.

All my barrels are 20.5” so the Lapua runs at about 338wm velocities. 26” barrels push a 250gr bullet at 3000. I’m getting a little over 2900 with 225gr raptor.
IMG_4494.jpeg

I’m glad you got the setup you wanted. I was very confused by this thread (not hard to do) as it seemed you were asking advice but already knew what you wanted to do. Anyway, have a great hunt and be sure to post pics.

I’m glad you got the setup you wanted. I was very confused by this thread (not hard to do) as it seemed you were asking advice but already knew what you wanted to do. Anyway, have a great hunt and be sure to post pics.
That’s not true. I asked what rifle to use of the four I posted. I have no idea which I will use. It’s a Blaser r8 system so I just change the barrel in one minute. I posted that also.

Seems like a lot of people either didn’t read what I posted and answered, or just gave their advice either way.

Here is same stock with 375 Ruger.
IMG_3885.jpeg

Here with 6.5prc.
IMG_4010.jpeg

Last edited:
Rig I’ll be using. This is 338 Lapua barrel with March 2.5-25 scope and AB raptor 8 suppressor with 5” reflex.

All my barrels are 20.5” so the Lapua runs at about 338wm velocities. 26” barrels push a 250gr bullet at 3000. I’m getting a little over 2900 with 225gr raptor.
View attachment 610151
If your 338 Lapua and 30-06 both weigh about the same, 338 is definitely the better option.

If your 338 Lapua and 30-06 both weigh about the same, 338 is definitely the better option.
That’s a great point.

Rig weighs about 11.5lbs with any setup. The stock has the large recoil management system in it.

Those are gorgeous my friend. Thanks for posting. Did he expire in the water like that?
Yup, we had to finish him off in the river and he dropped. Guide quick waded out and we were able to get him to the shallow water for quartering

That is not a lightweight rifle for sure. With all that hardware hanging on the end of the barrel, I would be concerned about balance. And I can speak from experience how much non-fun a seriously out of balance gun is to carry stalking game. I had a scope crap out during the season a few years ago so my brother let me use his BAR 300 WM with bipod attached. Those guns are very forward heavy! Carrying that thing in the ready position while chasing this buck through a network of coulees became downright painful pulling on my left arm, shoulder, and neck.
Buck 2018.jpg

Sure, you can shoulder the gun but then you're dealing with the long barrel and suppressors sticking up overhead. Not fun in the timber.

I know you've made your choice. Just wondering how that gun carries.

Seems like this thread has run its course but I agree that 11.5lbs isn’t a great mountain rifle weight if you will be packing in. I didn’t see it mentioned if you will be using horses or your target elevation. Elk are where they are so keep that in mind. My last CO elk was shot at 12.2k.

Seems like this thread has run its course but I agree that 11.5lbs isn’t a great mountain rifle weight if you will be packing in. I didn’t see it mentioned if you will be using horses or your target elevation. Elk are where they are so keep that in mind. My last CO elk was shot at 12.2k.
I would question whether someone could shoot a large caliber rifle that weighs much less accurately.

That is not a lightweight rifle for sure. With all that hardware hanging on the end of the barrel, I would be concerned about balance. And I can speak from experience how much non-fun a seriously out of balance gun is to carry stalking game. I had a scope crap out during the season a few years ago so my brother let me use his BAR 300 WM with bipod attached. Those guns are very forward heavy! Carrying that thing in the ready position while chasing this buck through a network of coulees became downright painful pulling on my left arm, shoulder, and neck.
View attachment 610188
Sure, you can shoulder the gun but then you're dealing with the long barrel and suppressors sticking up overhead. Not fun in the timber.

I know you've made your choice. Just wondering how that gun carries.
I guess it depends on what your definition of balances. I can put my hand under the centerpoint of the rifle and it stays completely completely balanced. Any rifle I’ve ever shot without a suppressor is weighted toward the rear.

That’s really high! My hunt will be between 6-9k. Horses then foot. Day trips from home base, no drop camps.

I agree about the weight. My Browning A Bolt .338 and Remington 700 .300WM each weigh 8.5lbs scoped. When carrying a 25-30lb pack that's all the weight I want to carry when hunting in the mountains for elk at about 8500ft where we hunt.

That’s really high! My hunt will be between 6-9k. Horses then foot. Day trips from home base, no drop camps.
It's the "then on foot" that will kill you with a heavy/heavier rifle.

I would question whether someone could shoot a large caliber rifle that weighs much less accurately.

Without practice, yes. That’s also a good place for the 6.5prc. Good terminal performance without the recoil.

Without practice, yes. That’s also a good place for the 6.5prc. Good terminal performance without the recoil.
If I was going high or hiking too far that’s what I would do for sure.

My rifle has a 16oz kickstop recoil reducer because I shoot it with my larger calibers. Total weight of can is about a pound also. So I could lose two pounds pretty easy if I needed or wanted.

The Blaser system is the best I have found. That said it is not known as a lightweight rifle.

Blaser r8 so same stock/receiver for each.

I’m sorry to not have understood. I did go back to your OP before making that comment. This is what shows in its entirety on my app. I obviously must be missing something. Again, have a great hunt, post pics.

I’m sorry to not have understood. I did go back to your OP before making that comment. This is what shows in its entirety on my app. I obviously must be missing something. Again, have a great hunt, post pics.
Thanks my friend. I’m excited

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeifBannis

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.