Got my first elk hunt this year - Help me pick a cartridge

Which cartridge to use??

• Total voters
don't use the lapua; a 3006 with 180+ gr bullet is a better choice.

the 375 ruger with 250 gr GMX bullets are a good choice as well, i have shot moose and caribou with that bullet and it worked great.

I would also not recommend the cartridge 338 Lapua Magnum either, especially not in a rifle Blaser R8. The cartridge 338 Lapua Magnum is a good cartridge, but its potential can only be realized in a rifle that is designed for it. If not, you have ultimately only a ballistic performance that is more like that of a cartridge 338 Win Mag, with the disadvantages such as flush at the muzzle and strong recoil.

My present rifle from McMillan caliber 338 Lapua Magnum. Barrel length 29 inches, overall length 51 inches, weight 15.5 lbs. It can be used for hunting, but it is not exactly an ideal rifle for carrying it for days in the field, especially in high mountains. I had before a classic hunting rifle from Heym caliber 338 Lapua Magnum. The ballistic performance was modest and that's why I preferred it for hunting a rifle caliber 340 Weatherby Magnum.

IMG_0002.jpeg

I would also not recommend the cartridge 338 Lapua Magnum either, especially not in a rifle Blaser R8. The cartridge 338 Lapua Magnum is a good cartridge, but its potential can only be realized in a rifle that is designed for it. If not, you have ultimately only a ballistic performance that is more like that of a cartridge 338 Win Mag, with the disadvantages such as flush at the muzzle and strong recoil.

My present rifle from McMillan caliber 338 Lapua Magnum. Barrel length 29 inches, overall length 51 inches, weight 15.5 lbs. It can be used for hunting, but it is not exactly an ideal rifle for carrying it for days in the field, especially in high mountains. I had before a classic hunting rifle from Heym caliber 338 Lapua Magnum. The ballistic performance was modest and that's why I preferred it for hunting a rifle caliber 340 Weatherby Magnum.

View attachment 609949

From your list. 30-06 out to 400 yards with 180 grain Federal TBT or Terminal Ascent.
If further shot is required, .338 Lapua with 225 + bullet. Keep Murphy’s Law in mind.

I think the biggest thing to remember about getting a rifle for elk hunting is that you got to carry that thing up and down the mountains so weight is a factor! I see a lot of guys nowadays carrying large cumbersome and overly heavier Target style rifles into the mountains hunting elk and they end up learning that that rifle weighs too much to be carrying up and down them hills! I think any 30 caliber rifle the weighs around 8 lb with optics on it is a good place to start.

Any 30 cal will do the job( Win Mag, Weatherby, PRC) to name a few. I personally like the Win Mag for bullet availability and use a 200 grain ELDX with great success.

HH

I’ve shot a couple dozen elk, with various rifles, muzzleloader and bows; so have some basis for what I’m about to say. While I think your cartridge choices are pretty good, I’m not so sure you’re picking the best bullets to go with them. Older, big bulls, if you’re fortunate to take such an elk, are tough animals and heavier for caliber premium bullets will serve you well. Personally, I like Partitions, Bearclaws and TTSX bullets for elk.

When I’m hunting elk with a rifle, it’s almost always with my .338 Wing Mag, shooting 225 grain Bearclaws or TTSX bullets. Your choice of 30-06 is very good, but I’d opt for a 180-200 grain premium bullet over the lighter weight you listed.

From your list. 30-06 out to 400 yards with 180 grain Federal TBT or Terminal Ascent.
If further shot is required, .

You have a 30-06 in the list, why wouldn't you just upgrade that rifle to premium 165 gr. bullets or even better 180's, and that would be ideal for 90% of the situations you will encounter
The bullet I picked is the most premium bullet made today.

I’ve shot a couple dozen elk, with various rifles, muzzleloader and bows; so have some basis for what I’m about to say. While I think your cartridge choices are pretty good, I’m not so sure you’re picking the best bullets to go with them. Older, big bulls, if you’re fortunate to take such an elk, are tough animals and heavier for caliber premium bullets will serve you well. Personally, I like Partitions, Bearclaws and TTSX bullets for elk.

When I’m hunting elk with a rifle, it’s almost always with my .338 Wing Mag, shooting 225 grain Bearclaws or TTSX bullets. Your choice of 30-06 is very good, but I’d opt for a 180-200 grain premium bullet over the lighter weight you listed.
Read any post by @michael458 on here. Raptors tend to do better with smaller for caliber. They are long.

Thanks for the input though.

I think the biggest thing to remember about getting a rifle for elk hunting is that you got to carry that thing up and down the mountains so weight is a factor! I see a lot of guys nowadays carrying large cumbersome and overly heavier Target style rifles into the mountains hunting elk and they end up learning that that rifle weighs too much to be carrying up and down them hills! I think any 30 caliber rifle the weighs around 8 lb with optics on it is a good place to start.
Agree. Thanks for the feedback.

I’ve hunted elk for 60years (1st one age 7) my dad was an outfitter in CO. I live in Premium elk country of WY and hunt multiple states for years!
Your list lacks heavy for Caliber, limitation with Blazer is 11” twist in 30cal rarely will stabilize 200 and even some 180s
Spent much of my life hunting and killing elk. Blazer won’t hold up well on a horse hunt find a 300 or 338 WM and shoot 200 or 250. And I’ve shot elk cows and bulls with everything on your list except 375 Ruger but have used 375 H&H on multiple. Speed isn’t what kills its transfer of energy

I’ve hunted elk for 60years (1st one age 7) my dad was an outfitter in CO. I live in Premium elk country of WY and hunt multiple states for years!
Your list lacks heavy for Caliber, limitation with Blazer is 11” twist in 30cal rarely will stabilize 200 and even some 180s
Spent much of my life hunting and killing elk. Blazer won’t hold up well on a horse hunt find a 300 or 338 WM and shoot 200 or 250. And I’ve shot elk cows and bulls with everything on your list except 375 Ruger but have used 375 H&H on multiple. Speed isn’t what kills its transfer of energy
Again. Not wanting a bullet debate. Just which of these to use.

Energy transfer in non charging animals has been debunked. Terminal bullet characteristics and tissue damage is what kills animals

Experience is the best evidence ... better than gun nuts literature. In the middle of my very long hunting career I switched to 165 gr 30-06 CoreLok for extended range. Very unsatisfactory results for both deer and elk so I stepped back up to 180 gr. Nowadays with better bullet materials I have dropped down to 165 gr again with good results on animals every bit as tough as moose and elk.

If you are planning 500 yard shots, two things to keep in mind: 1) You may get a lightweight bullet that will reach that far accurately, but what's it got left for gas/wt when it makes impact? 2) What will you have left to take to the butcher if the elk pops up at fifty yards (keep in mind all but one of the thirteen elk I shot were closer than eighty yards)? A high muzzle velocity bullet designed to "shed petals" is bound to make a mess at close range. The concept is for petals to explode inside the animal, but at close range are they not going to be coming apart on exit? My suggestion is keep the range less than 300 yards and use a heavy enough bullet that will hit hard when it gets there.

Experience is the best evidence ... better than gun nuts literature. In the middle of my very long hunting career I switched to 165 gr 30-06 CoreLok for extended range. Very unsatisfactory results for both deer and elk so I stepped back up to 180 gr. Nowadays with better bullet materials I have dropped down to 165 gr again with good results on animals every bit as tough as moose and elk.

If you are planning 500 yard shots, two things to keep in mind: 1) You may get a lightweight bullet that will reach that far accurately, but what's it got left for gas/wt when it makes impact? 2) What will you have left to take to the butcher if the elk pops up at fifty yards (keep in mind all but one of the thirteen elk I shot were closer than eighty yards)? A high muzzle velocity bullet designed to "shed petals" is bound to make a mess at close range. The concept is for petals to explode inside the animal, but at close range are they not going to be coming apart on exit? My suggestion is keep the range less than 300 yards and use a heavy enough bullet that will hit hard when it gets there.
Again. Off thread.

You don’t have to guess what the bullet will have when it gets there. You can dope and know its velocity and what it will do on impact.

This is my first trophy elk hunt. Much more concerned with clean ethical harvest than some meat damage.

Again. Off thread.

You don’t have to guess what the bullet will have when it gets there. You can dope and know its velocity and what it will do on impact.

This is my first trophy elk hunt. Much more concerned with clean ethical harvest than some meat damage.
I see. Well, I guess I was wrong all these years thinking that wasting meat was unethical. My upbringing by parents who grew up in a small Idaho agricultural community during the Great Depression probably had something ro do with the shaping of my oddball "harvesting" ethics.

You asked for an opinion and I gave it to you: 150 gr 30-06 is too light for elk no matter who makes the bullet. Seems I'm not alone in that thinking. A few fellas with similar levels of experience agree. But hey, what do we know? We're not gun writers or TV influencers. :D It's too bad my gun can't weigh in on this discussion ... but I doubt you'd listen. (insert wink emoji)
Deer Gun final 3.JPG

I see. Well, I guess I was wrong all these years thinking that wasting meat was unethical. My upbringing by parents who grew up in a small Idaho agricultural community during the Great Depression probably had something ro do with the shaping of my oddball "harvesting" ethics.

You asked for an opinion and I gave it to you: 150 gr 30-06 is too light for elk no matter who makes the bullet. Seems I'm not alone in that thinking. A few fellas with similar levels of experience agree. But hey, what do we know? We're not gun writers or TV influencers. :D It's too bad my gun can't weigh in on this discussion ... but I doubt you'd listen. (insert wink emoji)View attachment 610008
Beautiful gun.

Again. Off thread.

I would encourage a heavy for caliber bullet in whichever caliber you land on. Personally I would use an A-Frame. You may not get the optimal shot. You want to be able to bust big bones and anchor your bull. A wounded elk will go places you just don’t want to go!

Have a great time planning your adventure!

Beautiful gun.
Thanks. That's what it looked like for almost fifty years. But the barrel finally gave out and had to be replaced during the pandemic. So I added iron sights, QD rings, and a better scope. Sadly, the new barrel is longer and the gun no longer fits in the saddle scabbard I made. I'm guessing Dad cut some corroded rifling off the end of the first barrel. When he finished building this one, he made another identical Springfield for himself but its barrel is full 24".
20230813_102935.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JimmieWool

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!