Everything you need to know about slings and swivels for safaris and safari rifles

I bought the Murray quick set rifle sling this morning. I’ll have it tomorrow. Excited to try it out. Thanks for the great thread. I would have not known anything about this sling otherwise.

I cannot speak to the condition of a brand new Murray Sling, but I can speak to the "replica" we made and to a very, very used Murray sling I've borrowed in Africa.

When our sling was new, it was very stiff and uncooperative. We used a lot of leather conditioner and rolled it every which direction to turn stiff latigo into very soft latigo in the same way an old set of reins gets that soft feel.

When very supple and broken in, the Murray slider buckle moves instantly with minimal effort. If yours is uncooperative when you get it, you may need to lube it up with conditioner and break it in while watching TV.

I have the trader Keith canvas sling with the narrow leather frogs on the end. It is definitely traditional in look. It is not quick to adjust whatsoever, nor is it exceptionally durable. Specific to durability, when it gets worked the belt loop sliders that cover the leather ends start to slide around, potentially sliding up enough that the brass hooks that go through the holes can slip out.

I used one with NECG swivels on my double rifle on safari. I knew it was going to be cumbersome and potentially snag in the Jesse. It did many times. However, I was willing to sacrifice odds of success to protect a particularly valuable rifle that I could not use a Dick Murray sling on due the euro sling swivels. (Dick Murray slings are too thick to slide through the euro swivel loops)

On my magazine rifles, I always use a Murray sling which works perfect. I was introduced to them by a sling-hating PH with 50 years experience in the Bush. He convinced me by borrowing his for a 14 day hunt.

Pic of Trader Keith sling attached so readers can follow along with the conversation.

View attachment 624652
Love my slings from them

I've always been a fan of "Super-Slings" made by The Outdoor Connection.

I don't like them as much as I used to, because they have started using sling swivels that are square in cross section, and do not adjust as easily as the old ones with round Uncle Mike's type swivels.

I have an older 1 1/4" solid brown one that is my favorite.

My DR rides on a 1 1/4 Boyt Leather sling. It works perfectly.

I carried a bolt-action rifle on my last trip that had a Magpul MS1 sling. I was constantly adjusting it, because the buckle tended to slip. I'm not a fan of those anymore...

The Quick Set Latigo Slings from Brownell's are great, especially the 1 1/4" ones on heavy rifles.

https://www.brownells.com/gear/slings-sling-swivels/slings/quick-set-latigo-sling/

Last edited:
I cannot speak to the condition of a brand new Murray Sling, but I can speak to the "replica" we made and to a very, very used Murray sling I've borrowed in Africa.

When our sling was new, it was very stiff and uncooperative. We used a lot of leather conditioner and rolled it every which direction to turn stiff latigo into very soft latigo in the same way an old set of reins gets that soft feel.

When very supple and broken in, the Murray slider buckle moves instantly with minimal effort. If yours is uncooperative when you get it, you may need to lube it up with conditioner and break it in while watching TV.
The sling I received is very soft and flexible already. It’s very easy to adjust. It definitely is saving me a little time getting on target. I don’t have to be conscious of where the sling is at compared to the claw sling I had been using.
IMG_0059.jpeg

The sling I received is very soft and flexible already. It’s very easy to adjust. It definitely is saving me a little time getting on target. I don’t have to be conscious of where the sling is at compared to the claw sling I had been using. View attachment 625537
I'm not sure what you mean by "conscious of where the sling is at" for claw sling. It certainly appears to me that the metal buckle on the sling on this rifle could easily rub against the floorplate and mark it, especially when loaded into a soft case.

I'm not sure what you mean by "conscious of where the sling is at" for claw sling. It certainly appears to me that the metal buckle on the sling on this rifle could easily rub against the floorplate and mark it, especially when loaded into a soft case.
The claw sling has a wide shoulder pad that I would have to lift over the tripod head so that the rifle would sit flat and not canted. Also the buckle position is easily changed when it’s loosened. I think it may be something to watch for but shouldn’t be much of an issue.

The claw sling has a wide shoulder pad that I would have to lift over the tripod head so that the rifle would sit flat and not canted. Also the buckle position is easily changed when it’s loosened. I think it may be something to watch for but shouldn’t be much of an issue.
I was thinking of military claw slings. They are uniform width, usually 1". I'm also not wild about fat slings. Or neoprene. I once borrowed my brother's 300 Win BAR with stretchy neoprene sling a couple of winters back. Too squirrely and they get soggy in foul weather.

One possible drawback I see to Murray type slings with big open loops of leather is they might get hung up on stuff, particularly gear detritus some hunters feel they must hang on their belts. I wear a binocular holster on my belt, off side. A handgun would definitely be an issue I'd think. Any thoughts from those who use this style?

One possible drawback I see to Murray type slings with big open loops of leather is they might get hung up on stuff, particularly gear detritus some hunters feel they must hang on their belts. I wear a binocular holster on my belt, off side. A handgun would definitely be an issue I'd think. Any thoughts from those who use this style?

Its entire purpose is to not do what you suggest it might do. It allows instant adjustment of length when carried as a sling, or instant tightening to have it completely taught under the gun for stalking without snagging.

Its entire purpose is to not do what you suggest it might do. It allows instant adjustment of length when carried as a sling, or instant tightening to have it completely taught under the gun for stalking without snagging.
I would prefer to simply take off the sling for stalking. It would seem the biggest concern with double loop of leather getting caught on belt detritus would be when the gun is slung on shoulder not when stalking. Also, a tight sling under the gun would, I'd think, impede getting on the sticks?

I have encountered the same situation with older M/S rifles and Drillings. Although it might sound crazy, I've been using surplus Chinese SKS slings. They are an olive drab, woven cotton strap with leather ends that have fit all of my older, European sling loops so far.
I found these at Amazon. I even had a choice of O.D. or khaki. I got the khaki canvass one. It works perfectly! Even looks good on my dad's rifle. The cost was just about $13. Thanks for the tip!

Doug

I would prefer to simply take off the sling for stalking. It would seem the biggest concern with double loop of leather getting caught on belt detritus would be when the gun is slung on shoulder not when stalking. Also, a tight sling under the gun would, I'd think, impede getting on the sticks?

It does not. Hence the point of the thread where we covered the problem with slings and why PHs that hate or prohibit slings tend to have a sole exception to that generalization, the Murray sling.

They’ve worked for me on the last 100 days in the bush hunting dangerous game.

It does not. Hence the point of the thread where we covered the problem with slings and why PHs that hate or prohibit slings tend to have a sole exception to that generalization, the Murray sling.

They’ve worked for me on the last 100 days in the bush hunting dangerous game.
Okay. Let's look at the image posted of Murray sling de-slacked for stalking.

Post in thread 'Everything you need to know about slings and swivels for safaris and safari rifles' https://www.africahunting.com/threa...-safaris-and-safari-rifles.84710/post-1278270

So ... how is the stalking shooter supposed to get his hand onto fore end underneath that sling in a hurry? Throw it on sticks and it's clearly going to be sitting on top of the sling, not on the sticks. And even though tightened up for stalking I see plenty of leather loop to get caught on stuff. By contrast, this simple "cheap" sling has no loops.
20240806_111146.jpg

It is adjustable but I've never bothered changing it. Occasionally it comes off, usually at the range. I typically track game in rugged country with heavy cover. I've found its better to have the rifle closest to my center of gravity (by my side on my shoulder) with both hands potentially free to catch my balance, push brush out of the way, etc. In Africa the sling often comes off during final stalk. The terrain is typically less rugged. No matter what model, slings just don't mate well with shooting sticks. Over here I never hunt with sticks. No PH or tracker to carry them for me. So my sling never comes off hunting deer, elk, or moose.

Your confusion and assumptions wouldn’t be covered by the contents of this thread, but in a nutshell, shooting sticks aren’t used or held in the manner you suggest. When sticks are used in the conventional method, a Murray sling does not interfere with their use.

If you’d like to discuss shooting sticks, let’s create a separate thread on how they are held and used.

IMG_0537.jpeg
IMG_0536.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuinnCarna

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe