Everything you need to know about slings and swivels for safaris and safari rifles

I bought the Murray quick set rifle sling this morning. I’ll have it tomorrow. Excited to try it out. Thanks for the great thread. I would have not known anything about this sling otherwise.

I cannot speak to the condition of a brand new Murray Sling, but I can speak to the "replica" we made and to a very, very used Murray sling I've borrowed in Africa.

When our sling was new, it was very stiff and uncooperative. We used a lot of leather conditioner and rolled it every which direction to turn stiff latigo into very soft latigo in the same way an old set of reins gets that soft feel.

When very supple and broken in, the Murray slider buckle moves instantly with minimal effort. If yours is uncooperative when you get it, you may need to lube it up with conditioner and break it in while watching TV.

I have the trader Keith canvas sling with the narrow leather frogs on the end. It is definitely traditional in look. It is not quick to adjust whatsoever, nor is it exceptionally durable. Specific to durability, when it gets worked the belt loop sliders that cover the leather ends start to slide around, potentially sliding up enough that the brass hooks that go through the holes can slip out.

I used one with NECG swivels on my double rifle on safari. I knew it was going to be cumbersome and potentially snag in the Jesse. It did many times. However, I was willing to sacrifice odds of success to protect a particularly valuable rifle that I could not use a Dick Murray sling on due the euro sling swivels. (Dick Murray slings are too thick to slide through the euro swivel loops)

On my magazine rifles, I always use a Murray sling which works perfect. I was introduced to them by a sling-hating PH with 50 years experience in the Bush. He convinced me by borrowing his for a 14 day hunt.

Pic of Trader Keith sling attached so readers can follow along with the conversation.

View attachment 624652
Love my slings from them

I've always been a fan of "Super-Slings" made by The Outdoor Connection.

I don't like them as much as I used to, because they have started using sling swivels that are square in cross section, and do not adjust as easily as the old ones with round Uncle Mike's type swivels.

I have an older 1 1/4" solid brown one that is my favorite.

My DR rides on a 1 1/4 Boyt Leather sling. It works perfectly.

I carried a bolt-action rifle on my last trip that had a Magpul MS1 sling. I was constantly adjusting it, because the buckle tended to slip. I'm not a fan of those anymore...

The Quick Set Latigo Slings from Brownell's are great, especially the 1 1/4" ones on heavy rifles.

https://www.brownells.com/gear/slings-sling-swivels/slings/quick-set-latigo-sling/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleyHo

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED