Everything you need to know about slings and swivels for safaris and safari rifles

Jacques Tredoux, South African made
I wrap it several times around the swivel
image.jpg
image.jpg

My shotgun has a sling. When hunting it is usually detached and inside the game bag on my upland vest. I'll reattach for long wals out,, especially in cold weather so I can tack my hands in pockets or inside the vest.. However, I had problems with the swivel stud on the butt getting caught on my vest when I mounted the shotgun so I removed the stud. I'm in the process of acquiring a set of recessed cup quick detach sling swivels (push button release style). Anybody tried these? They are big with the tacticool crowd apparently.

These work great. But can squeak occasionally View attachment 624819
That is nearly the exact sling I’m using on my goose shotgun. I’m thinking of taking the swivels off and replacing them with a set of Talon black stainless and having the webbing sewed back to eliminate the squeaks.

Good info. Now I have a question. I inherited my dad's .30-06. It was custom built for a friend of his in Germany just after WW II. Of course it was built on a Mauser 98 action. It has two sling swivels, one on the barrel, and the other in the usual place on the butt stock. They cannot be removed and the inside of the loop only measures 3/4". All standard 1" slings in the US cannot fit in the narrow swivels. Dies anyone make a sling to fit this rifle?
I have encountered the same situation with older M/S rifles and Drillings. Although it might sound crazy, I've been using surplus Chinese SKS slings. They are an olive drab, woven cotton strap with leather ends that have fit all of my older, European sling loops so far.

I have encountered the same situation with older M/S rifles and Drillings. Although it might sound crazy, I've been using surplus Chinese SKS slings. They are an olive drab, woven cotton strap with leather ends that have fit all of my older, European sling loops so far.
I suspect a cheap poly webbing sling from Wallmart could be made to work with narrow swivels. Cut the sewn seams to release the cheap detachable swivels that come with the sling (they will eventually fall apart anyway - ask me how I know!). Then turn on a stove burner. When it gets hot enough, simply apply both sides of the webbing loop for swivels until enough is melted away to allow the narrow swivel to fit. Heat up the tip of an awl and use it to punch holes in webbing for Chicago screws to put the sling back together. Don't forget to bugger the threads a bit so the screws don't unthread. It might look like crap but should work. As you may have surmised by now, I've never been overly concerned about appearances ... except when I'm shopping for a date on the internet. :D A Mossy Oak sling from Walmart on a prewar commercial Mauser would make for an interesting conversation piece over bourbon around the lodge campfire. Bound to get more attention than a $1K safari hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goacallgirlsservice01

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available