Elk at 688 yards with a 243

Can I still use my 500 Jeffery on deer? It's my main big game rifle these days :)
No. You'll tear a retina(s). Use your new straight walled .400 Legend by Winchester.

We have different views on practice.
@CoElkHunter what do you mean by practice? I like to shoot a few rounds each year in practice. I've fired 37 rounds of .375 in working up to the season so far. I'm back in big bore shape again.

Last edited:
@CoElkHunter what do you mean by practice? I like to shoot a few rounds each year in practice. I've fired 37 rounds of .375 in working up to the season so far. I'm back in big bore shape again.

You quoted me, so I'll answer form myself. 375h&h a couple hundred plus a year. Same with my 458Lott. 22lr 5k - 10k a year. Precision rifle 2k-4k. The 22 and preision rifle depends upon how many match I shoot in a year.

That was @Inline6 talking about practice. As far as your "practice" regiment goes, when you get up to that round count with your Lott, let us know. LOL

How many rounds would it take to notice a change in accuracy from something like a .264? Don't mean to derail the thread hahaha.

How hard are you pushing it? Length of shot strings (2-3 or a box in 5 mins). Cleaning regiment? Lots of factors come into barrel life. The biggest being your acceptance of accuracy. If we are talking about a 1moa level of accuracy 1000-1500ish. Less if you expect 1/2moa. At the end of the day, barrels have threads. Burn them out and replace them, they are like tires in that regard.

How hard are you pushing it? Length of shot strings (2-3 or a box in 5 mins). Cleaning regiment? Lots of factors come into barrel life. The biggest being your acceptance of accuracy. If we are talking about a 1moa level of accuracy 1000-1500ish. Less if you expect 1/2moa. At the end of the day, barrels have threads. Burn them out and replace them, they are like tires in that regard.
Thanks, I always kinda wondered what "short barrel life" really meant, thanks for the explanation.

Thanks, I always kinda wondered what "short barrel life" really meant, thanks for the explanation.
What @Inline6 posted. Some are worse than others and some will last if not abused. I've observed guys at the ranges who will run twenty rounds through a sporter barrel 7RM in a half hour or less and wonder why the POI won't stay in one place. I felt bad for the barrels.
e-console.gif

I'm sure @Hogpatrol has burned out a barrel or dozen.
26 Nosler had the shortest life.

I used to put close to 1000 rounds a year through my BDL in 270. It's on it's 3rd barrel now, a Hart. Prevous one was a Douglas. All three (including the original Rem barrel) shot lights out. That tapered off once I got a "real job". These days I may put 40 rounds through each of my rifles, then go hunting. Probably on 20 through the 500 Jeffery. It stays sighted in so well. I put a few down range from a rest, then the rest offhand and sitting.

That was @Inline6 talking about practice. As far as your "practice" regiment goes, when you get up to that round count with your Lott, let us know. LOL
Well the Lott is not one of the chosen rifles this year. I was going to alternate between the .243 and the .375 bolt gun trying to get a little blood on them and drag the .375 Encore along for a rainy day rifle since I really can't hurt it. I guess I could shoot the Lott a little too. Darn you Mark...I had a plan and now you're making second guess it by missing that Lott. The only limiter for the Lott is it doesn't do well on evening stands with the open sights and I'll be darned if I hunt that gun in bad weather.
Oh this is making me question running sixteen rounds through the .375 the other day. I stopped as the barrel got warm.
I used to put close to 1000 rounds a year through my BDL in 270. It's on it's 3rd barrel now, a Hart. Prevous one was a Douglas. All three (including the original Rem barrel) shot lights out. That tapered off once I got a "real job". These days I may put 40 rounds through each of my rifles, then go hunting. Probably on 20 through the 500 Jeffery. It stays sighted in so well. I put a few down range from a rest, then the rest offhand and sitting.
It's always nice to hear of a long term love affair with a rifle like this. Did you bother to have iron sights remounted on the subsequent barrels or just go slick? Did you change profiles or stay with the original contour?

@Forrest Halley the 375h&h is a different animal in the way it responses to throat erosion. It is not and overboard cartridge. Their are places that have barrel life calculators that allow you to enter the numbers (powder, charge, caliber) . It basically their to give you an idea of what the life potential is. Like discussed before many factors play into that.

@Forrest Halley the 375h&h is a different animal in the way it responses to throat erosion. It is not and overboard cartridge. Their are places that have barrel life calculators that allow you to enter the numbers (powder, charge, caliber) . It basically their to give you an idea of what the life potential is. Like discussed before many factors play into that.
I just figured my 458 might last 5-6000 rounds and .375 2.5-3k. Hell I like the .458 better anyhow. @CoElkHunter I guess you're right..gotta switch the cannon roster around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbolf

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!