Elk at 688 yards with a 243

To these to thoughts I'll ask us all to a man these questions:
How many of you that are condemning the long range shot with a light caliber have ever had to try and track down another hunter's mess and deal with it?
How many of those that are applauding this long range shot have ever had to try and track down another hunter's mess and deal with it?

I'm in the first camp and I'll wager that those in the second camp will be few.

If you aren't answering yes to either question, then respectfully I feel as if you have no standing in the discussion. Your perspective will be greatly changed when you have had that happen a few times.
I fall into the first camp, which is precisely why I said shooting an elk at long range with a .243 is nothing more than a stunt.

@NIGHTHAWK
I respect you shooting abilities and the use of the correctly bullet for game eg the Barnes. The 243 with PROPER game bullets matched to the game will definitely kill animals with well placed shots.
The problem arises when the shot is taken the animal is not always in the right position broadside (animals forget to read the play book when hunted). A lot of people don't have the patience to wait for the perfect shot. I personally prefer to use a caliber that will do the job at any angle or pass up the shot. Yes I have stuffed up and wounded game but have always followed up and finished the job. I have even lost game, a pig that I just couldn't find no matter how hard I looked. Some may say it was just a pig but to me it was a game animal that deserved better.
We all have our skill sets and long range hunting isn't one of mine. My rifles are capable of outstanding accuracy but unless I absolutely have no option I will not shoot past 400yrds. I respect others that can do it alone further but still wonder why.
Bob

Bob,

I’ve made some shots I wish I wouldn’t have, but they worked out. Hell, I admitted it in one of my last hunting posts - .243 on Safari. And, it was exactly to your point… if you hunt enough, you will find yourself a victim of circumstance…

We all have experiences and learn, hopefully, good lessons from them. Hopefully, they change the way we hunt or the gear/equipment we hunt with.

I don’t use Nosler Accubond bullets any longer because I had two bad experiences with them when shot with a magnum rifle. They literally destroyed large areas of tissue on two different animals. One on a warthog and the other on a north american antelope. I shot that antelope with a 7 REM MAG at about 50 yards and hit a rib on a very slight downhill angle. It was disaster - made a huge hole on the entry side. The Warthog was a monster female on my first Safari that I regret because it was a Texas heart shot, with the same rifle, and the bullet blew out a huge chunk of spine and hind quarter. Another shocking mess! I also wouldn’t recommend that shot because too much can go wrong. It had long, beautiful, perfect, tusks and I got caught up in the moment… I don’t take those kinds of shots anymore. I also changed bullets after that hunt. **I have killed many animals with Nosler Accubond and Balistic tip bullets, but I don't like the damage they do when shot at higher velocities and closer range. This is only derived from my personal experience…

I fall into the first camp, which is precisely why I said shooting an elk at long range with a .243 is nothing more than a stunt.
To DLSJR - and anyone else still reading this Post... Does anyone find it interesting that there are Now 13 pages of “posts” analyzing/criticizing someones 600+ yard shot on an Elk with .243 -—- an Elk that couldn’t be any more DEAD then if shot with a Bazooka in your Living Room. Man, we All need to get a Life (IS everyone as ”RETIRED” and unproductive as ME ?)
>>>>Note, this is now my favorite Post !! <<

A true hunter is haunted by the one that got away. When we muck it up it teaches us a bitter lesson we never forget.
Agreed, I also think I learn from every hunt.
When I was hunting pigs regularly walking the creek or time I've spent "Hunting" Ilike to think I learned something on each occassion. That might be something about my rifle, the land, the situation or animal behaviour actually I can add human behaviour too. Hunting under a PH, Solo, first hunt with an AH member on our first meet or hunting with a friend who is a seasoned Deer hunter or learning about yourself.
That goes back to the times I wandered the hills for goats in the 90's, hunted pigs on foot, hunting cull animals in SA or in pursuit of Fallow Deer in Australia. Each time I come away thinking about what I learned.
It's all new and even hunting with friends you learn from them, you learn about them and you make memories with them . You leave talking about next time and planning another hunt and thinking what that might be.

To DLSJR - and anyone else still reading this Post... Does anyone find it interesting that there are Now 13 pages of “posts” analyzing/criticizing someones 600+ yard shot on an Elk with .243 -—- an Elk that couldn’t be any more DEAD then if shot with a Bazooka in your Living Room. Man, we All need to get a Life (IS everyone as ”RETIRED” and unproductive as ME ?)
>>>>Note, this is now my favorite Post !! <<
I’ll continue to criticize the stunt of long range shooting elk with a .243. Sure it can be done, but that doesn’t mean it should be. A .243 is NOT an elk cartridge, even though it works most of the time. Taking that INADEQUATE for elk cartridge and shooting long distances is a stunt. And don’t try to tell me they’ve never wounded and lost elk with it, unless they’ve shot damn few elk. Big bodied, mature bull elk are damn tough animals that should be shot with sufficiently powerful cartridges and quality bullets. Period.

I'm sorry I saw the link and started it to gently troll Bob, it went out of control. My bad
Bob is in denial. He is shocked and stunned that the .243 can do so much more than he gives it credit for. Proofs in the pudding as Kassandra took the shot and nailed it.
He met up with Russ who took his .425express and it turns out they were overgunned for the smaller deer that were present.
I think this will be all the more reason for BadBoyMelvin to buy that .243 that he is currently contemplating for contentment.

Don't feel bad about it, all good discussions.
Plus, it keeps Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen on his toes. I'm sure he can't wait to get on here to see if anyone's posted something positive about the .243. It's what fuels his sleepless nights. LOL

Obviously, I did not. Oh well.
All good,
Do you know Bob? If not tag him in a post and ask what he thinks of the .243.

All good,
Do you know Bob? If not tag him in a post and ask what he thinks of the .243.
What, and shut down the pumps cooling the reactor rods?
e-rofl.gif

Bob is in denial. He is shocked and stunned that the .243 can do so much more than he gives it credit for. Proofs in the pudding as Kassandra took the shot and nailed it.
He met up with Russ who took his .425express and it turns out they were overgunned for the smaller deer that were present.
I think this will be all the more reason for BadBoyMelvin to buy that .243 that he is currently contemplating for contentment.
Taking the piss like a cow on a flat rock.... :E Laugh: :A Stirring:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IolaGunn9

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!