Elk at 688 yards with a 243

I'm sorry I saw the link and started it to gently troll Bob, it went out of control. My bad
@colorado
As a hunter you make a great fisherman. You got me hook line and sinker. But hey I love bagging out the horrible little 243.
Bob

Bob is in denial. He is shocked and stunned that the .243 can do so much more than he gives it credit for. Proofs in the pudding as Kassandra took the shot and nailed it.
He met up with Russ who took his .425express and it turns out they were overgunned for the smaller deer that were present.
I think this will be all the more reason for BadBoyMelvin to buy that .243 that he is currently contemplating for contentment.
@CBH Australia
Chris @Badboymelvin doesn't overly like the 243 either. To him it's a boring little cartridge. I did try and talk him into a nice 25 as he had a 257 Weatherby at one time. He loved my 25 but thought it was a noisy bitch.
The only game spotted was a fallow fawn and the 25 would have cut it in 2. It was only about 2 and a bit foot tall so would have only got enough meat for a few good sandwiches anyway. It can grow bigger for another day.
Russ's 425 Express is one sweet shooter loaded with 400gn Hornadys at 2,300fps. Very manageable and comfortable to shoot.
Bob

Does this mean you'll be getting a big boy rifle too?
@Forrest Halley
Nah mate. The Whelen will handle anything I want to cut up and fit in a frying pan. Including eland, scrub bulls and buffalo.
Dang if the 9.3x62 has been doing it for over 100 years with 286 and 320gn bullets the Whelen with 275s and 310s should be fine.
Bob

@CBH Australia
Chris @Badboymelvin doesn't overly like the 243 either. To him it's a boring little cartridge. I did try and talk him into a nice 25 as he had a 257 Weatherby at one time. He loved my 25 but thought it was a noisy bitch.
Bob

Bob, if he doesn't really like the .243 the only other thing I can suggest is a .260rem or a 7mm-08 since it is for the family to use. Nothing else comes to mind.

Bob, if he doesn't really like the .243 the only other thing I can suggest is a .260rem or a 7mm-08 since it is for the family to use. Nothing else comes to mind.
@CBH Australia
Chris he is getting the 243 because of the availability of ammo. Plus he now has the dies I gave him and 100 primers.
Bob

@CBH Australia
Chris he is getting the 243 because of the availability of ammo. Plus he now has the dies I gave him and 100 primers.
Bob
It sounds like you support his preference.

I'm sure the Two Fourty Three will make a fine Fallow rifle Bob.

The .243winchester make a fine family rifle choice too.

7mm-08 is available, .260 can be reloaded.

As for availability 6.5 Creedmoor is available, I won't be needing any so he's welcome to all he can find I'f he likes the manbun.

Since the ManBun hasn't come up I don't think he's getting on the bandwagon for that one.

.243 it is

@CBH Australia
Bob

Primers, they are unobtanuium ATM.

I think the .243 is a good idea. But Russ, don't let a set of dies be the deciding factor and settle on the wrong rifle just because you have a set of dies. Just food for thought.

It sounds like you support his preference.

I'm sure the Two Fourty Three will make a fine Fallow rifle Bob.

The .243winchester make a fine family rifle choice too.

7mm-08 is available, .260 can be reloaded.

As for availability 6.5 Creedmoor is available, I won't be needing any so he's welcome to all he can find I'f he likes the manbun.

Since the ManBun hasn't come up I don't think he's getting on the bandwagon for that one.

.243 it is
@CBH Australia
Chris at least @Badboymelvin has brains and will select the right bullet for the job. He reckons get a 100 rounds of federal blue box to pop off to get used to it then reload.
I'm trying to talk him into just getting 100 cases and loading some 95gn SST, 85gn Barnes TTSX or some nice 100gn round nose straight off. Sight it in and go have fun.
Loaded with any of those HUNTING BULLETS and used within its limits and he will be fine. Russ is pretty clued up and switched on when it comes to balistics.
Bob

Primers, they are unobtanuium ATM.

I think the .243 is a good idea. But Russ, don't let a set of dies be the deciding factor and settle on the wrong rifle just because you have a set of dies. Just food for thought.
@CBH Australia
Chris I gave Russ 100 LR primers as well, if he needs more I will gladly donate another couple of hundred to him.
Bob

The fact that Bob had .243 dies makes everything in the world seem like a lie...
@Forrest Halley
The only reason I had the dies was to reload for a couple of mates. They used to use 87gn V Max and wanted me to use them.
I bought 95gn SST and loaded them, they looked the same to them but on game performance was a lot better. They told me those 87gn reloads work well but when I showed them the box of 95gn SST I was using they were amazed and said keep using them they're great.
Bob

@Forrest Halley
The only reason I had the dies was to reload for a couple of mates. They used to use 87gn V Max and wanted me to use them.
I bought 95gn SST and loaded them, they looked the same to them but on game performance was a lot better. They told me those 87gn reloads work well but when I showed them the box of 95gn SST I was using they were amazed and said keep using them they're great.
Bob
Sweet baby Hay-Zeus! You were reloading for people in the great toe-mah-toe stake cartridge all the while preaching about the 2-5 and the turdy-phive! I feel like this is the ballistic version of the church of latter day saints...just making it up as we go! :A Stirring:

I can only imagine the earful they got when they came to pick up their cartridges. :E Laugh: I'm going to stick with my 2-4-3 and enjoy it now that the great false prophecy has been revealed!

Sweet baby Hay-Zeus! You were reloading for people in the great toe-mah-toe stake cartridge all the while preaching about the 2-5 and the turdy-phive! I feel like this is the ballistic version of the church of latter day saints...just making it up as we go! :A Stirring:

I can only imagine the earful they got when they came to pick up their cartridges. :E Laugh: I'm going to stick with my 2-4-3 and enjoy it now that the great false prophecy has been revealed!
@Forrest Halley
They got an earful but I also loaded it because they didn't reload. At least that way I could load bullets that matched the game.
To me it's still a horrible little cartridge.
Bob

What would you think of a .25-08?Personally, I think the 7-08 sounds like the bomb, just a tetch light for our country. But if I lived east of the Rockies, it's all I'd need. Except to hunt deer in Iowa. Then I'd need something bigger than .35 cal. As I understand, anything from .357 mag to .600 Nitro.

What would you think of a .25-08?Personally, I think the 7-08 sounds like the bomb, just a tetch light for our country. But if I lived east of the Rockies, it's all I'd need. Except to hunt deer in Iowa. Then I'd need something bigger than .35 cal. As I understand, anything from .357 mag to .600 Nitro.
@freefall
The 25-08 also known as the 25 Souper is a great round similar to the 257 Roberts.
I personally then the 270- 08 would be a great cartridge almost the the equivalent to the 270 win but a bit slower by around 150fps.
Bob

@Forrest Halley
They got an earful but I also loaded it because they didn't reload. At least that way I could load bullets that matched the game.
To me it's still a horrible little cartridge.
Bob
Well I applaud you for loading such a cartridge which doesn't suit your fancy in such a way.
Careful with those minimum states. Often times there are silly requirements like straight wall cases and maximum case length. Iowa has done away with this, but anything less than .349 and greater than .500 is illegal for the main season. The good news is that they are going by the headstamp or box listing the caliber. Bring on the .500's and .495's, but leave the .505 at home. :A Stirring:

There is some tomfoolery going on in anterless seasons in certain counties. Hard to believe a .30-06 isn't legal to kill a deer during the main season, but a .223 is once the antlers are gone is fine.
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen says "Get a Wellan mate! All you'll ever need!"

Last edited:
@freefall
The 25-08 also known as the 25 Souper is a great round similar to the 257 Roberts.
I personally then the 270- 08 would be a great cartridge almost the the equivalent to the 270 win but a bit slower by around 150fps.
Bob

You really need to step up to a 25CM...135s at 2950ish+/-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConnieQwk

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!