Elk at 688 yards with a 243

Bob is being a little generous in praise in regards to the 425's recoil!
I certainly wouldn't regard it as low recoil! :oops:
l regard any sub 9lb rifle firing a 400gn projectile at 2300fps as a handful...

Hey, we all feel recoil differently l guess - and maybe l'm a little biased, as my last memory was shooting 10-12 rounds out of that bloody thing of the bench in one session (n)

I'm glad you liked it Bob, it certainly is a nice practical rifle chambered for a fantastic cartridge.
Hopefully our next hunt will be a little longer and we can see how it performs on game (y)

Russ
@Badboymelvin
Russ as you said recoil is subjective. Off the bench where the body doesn't give it probably is a bitch but standing it's a different ball game. That rifle fit me well and that makes a big difference. That's why I found it very comfortable to shoot.
My mate @peter who has a 9.3x62 that is an absolute bitch. One shot cured me of ever wanting to shoot that prick ever again. It was absolutely brutal. A fence pailing would have fit me better.
So it comes down to fit of the rifle and that 425 fit me like an old comfortable pair of slippers.
Bob

Unfortunately real power Lott is not an inexpensive round to shoot. It used to be reasonable before the ammunition manufacturers decided that the .458 didn't need a bear class bullet and flipped it into a mostly safari round. Hornady had the Interlock in 500 grains that was a decent bullet to shoot out of it for the practice and some hunting. Now you're pirating .45-70 lightweight bullets and dealing with premium safari bullets that might not always be what you want. I'm seeing Corbin dies in my future as well as casting.

@Badboymelvin
Russ after shooting that 425 Express retire the 458. It's one sweet shooting, low recoiling rifles I have shot in a long time. It's a beautiful hard hitting low recoil rifle.
Dang my bolt action mossberd maverick 13 bore with 3" sellior and ballot magnum slugs kicks more than that.
I love that little 425.
Bob
The gun looks little in your hands. Like BB gun in the hands of giant.
Bob is being a little generous in praise in regards to the 425's recoil!
I certainly wouldn't regard it as low recoil! :oops:
l regard any sub 9lb rifle firing a 400gn projectile at 2300fps as a handful...

Hey, we all feel recoil differently l guess - and maybe l'm a little biased, as my last memory was shooting 10-12 rounds out of that bloody thing of the bench in one session (n)

I'm glad you liked it Bob, it certainly is a nice practical rifle chambered for a fantastic cartridge.
Hopefully our next hunt will be a little longer and we can see how it performs on game (y)

Russ
Generous indeed. It appeared quite lively and strong to me. What's the parent case for this?
@Badboymelvin
Russ as you said recoil is subjective. Off the bench where the body doesn't give it probably is a bitch but standing it's a different ball game. That rifle fit me well and that makes a big difference. That's why I found it very comfortable to shoot.
My mate @peter who has a 9.3x62 that is an absolute bitch. One shot cured me of ever wanting to shoot that prick ever again. It was absolutely brutal. A fence pailing would have fit me better.
So it comes down to fit of the rifle and that 425 fit me like an old comfortable pair of slippers.
Bob
I only saw you shoot it once...how many shots did you take?

Very interesting. She was not dialing, and after I closely examined the video, it looks like the turret cover is on. I ran some numbers using the highest possible g1 bc, at 3200fps, 100 grain bullet. The spotter told her to hold "Dead On, behind the shoulder". That means she would be over 1 foot high at 100 yards, 900 foot pounds on impact. The chart is attached. One "LUCKY" shot, or a bad range finder!

Image 11-5-23 at 12.17 PM.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The gun looks little in your hands. Like BB gun in the hands of giant.

Generous indeed. It appeared quite lively and strong to me. What's the parent case for this?

I only saw you shoot it once...how many shots did you take?
@Forrest Halley
Fired it twice mate and both times real sweet. No problem at all even with my dicky shoulder. As I said fits me extremely well.
Bob

3,200 fps with a 100gn bullet out of a pissant 243 WOW. You would have more chance of shovelling water than get those velocities out of a 243.
Bob
yep, no kidding. I was being VERY generous, giving them every piece of data in their favor, I figured 5000ft, 40% humidity, 35f. A nearly impossible combination, but done to illustraate the point. The .243 velocity should hover around 2900-3000 and the cold temps don't help either. None the less a remarkable Elk shot, I would never take.

yep, no kidding. I was being VERY generous, giving them every piece of data in their favor, I figured 5000ft, 40% humidity, 35f. A nearly impossible combination, but done to illustraate the point. The .243 velocity should hover around 2900-3000 and the cold temps don't help either. None the less a remarkable Elk shot, I would never take.
@Hififile324
Very generous is an understatement to say the least. Even 2,900 to 3,000 is being generous. The best I could ever get out of one with Max loads of H4350/2209 was a just over 2,800fps. Using H4831SC/2213sc Max loads didn't improve on it and gave worse accuracy.
This was out of 3 different 243s all with 22 inch barrels.
Bob

5Kft? I live in town at 6700ft! They’re hunting at probably 8-9K at least. That’s why my .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM can reach out and touch those elk, because there’s no air to slow down the bullet OR much oxygen to breathe either. LOL

@Hififile324
Very generous is an understatement to say the least. Even 2,900 to 3,000 is being generous. The best I could ever get out of one with Max loads of H4350/2209 was a just over 2,800fps. Using H4831SC/2213sc Max loads didn't improve on it and gave worse accuracy.
This was out of 3 different 243s all with 22 inch barrels.
Bob
Bob,
That’s because you’re living on top of that ancient gigantic asteroid strike and the swirling magnetic field is slowing down your bullets. LOL
CEH

3,200 fps with a 100gn bullet out of a pissant 243 WOW. You would have more chance of shovelling water than get those velocities out of a 243.
Bob
I was curious about the optimism of that load myself. Must've been a .243-.375 W&H(Wishing and Hoping)!
yep, no kidding. I was being VERY generous, giving them every piece of data in their favor, I figured 5000ft, 40% humidity, 35f. A nearly impossible combination, but done to illustrate the point. The .243 velocity should hover around 2900-3000 and the cold temps don't help either. None the less a remarkable Elk shot, I would never take.
You forgot to put a hand warmer in the barrel and keep the bullet in a warm place til she needed it.

@Forrest Halley
Fired it twice mate and both times real sweet. No problem at all even with my dicky shoulder. As I said fits me extremely well.
Bob
That's great to hear Bob. Maybe now you can step up to that .4-0-BadBore!
5Kft? I live in town at 6700ft! They’re hunting at probably 8-9K at least. That’s why my .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM can reach out and touch those elk, because there’s no air to slow down the bullet OR much oxygen to breathe either. LOL
I hear it's cold enough that BS doesn't stick to your shoes either! Long live the tree-turdy-hate. Wishchester Madden'em!

In all seriousness Mark, I respect your loyalty to your less powerful rifle caliber even though you possess the big boys as well. I feel that kind of love for the .30-06. Of course it has converted a whole bunch of doubters to true believers in democracy and fed a few families along the way...

I was curious about the optimism of that load myself. Must've been a .243-.375 W&H(Wishing and Hoping)!

You forgot to put a hand warmer in the barrel and keep the bullet in a warm place til she needed it.

Kassandra, with a "K", sounds like she comes from one of those cold countries and lives in the Alp's . Just a chip shot for her with her .243.

That's great to hear Bob. Maybe now you can step up to that .4-0-BadBore!

I hear it's cold enough that BS doesn't stick to your shoes either! Long live the tree-turdy-hate. Wishchester Madden'em!

In all seriousness Mark, I respect your loyalty to your less powerful rifle caliber even though you possess the big boys as well. I feel that kind of love for the .30-06. Of course it has converted a whole bunch of doubters to true believers in democracy and fed a few families along the way...
Forrest,
Although I've never owned a .30-06 (I know heresy!) (well, I did have a Garand once), after all of these years since its inception, there's probably no other cartridge ever designed that's suitable for ALL the non DG on the planet. Probably a lot of DG have been taken with it too. I may need to buy one someday.
Mark

Kassandra, with a "K", sounds like she comes from one of those cold countries and lives in the Alp's . Just a chip shot for her with her .243.
Kassandra Agarand, Canadian huntress. She's in married with a kid and hunts with her "partner" some guy named Beau Something who cares....
There's no mention of a long range shooting pedigree.
Forrest,
Although I've never owned a .30-06 (I know heresy!) (well, I did have a Garand once), after all of these years since its inception, there's probably no other cartridge ever designed that's suitable for ALL the non DG on the planet. Probably a lot of DG have been taken with it too. I may need to buy one someday.
Mark
Scratch that idea. Come East and I'll let you play with one. No need to overlap for sentiment's sake.

I have a friend who recently purchased 600 acres of land that has some nice open areas for long range shooting. He's already set up a 400 yard range with a covered bench. He's also about to make a 600 yard range on the same property. He has put the long range target shooting bug on me now, so I ordered a Tikka T3X CTR in.....gasp....6.5 Creedmoor. I ordered a Zeiss Conquest 4-16×44 scope for it today as well. This is a caliber that I've never had any interest in before, but it seems to be a good option for what we'll be doing. So....I'm thinking that some long range deer hunting may be in order as well. It just depends on what I'm able to do on targets with this set up.

Kassandra Agarand, Canadian huntress. She's in married with a kid and hunts with her "partner" some guy named Beau Something who cares....

Scratch that idea. Come East and I'll let you play with one. No need to overlap for sentiment's sake.
I'm afraid to go too far east of the Rocky Mtns. Maybe I could meet you in Kansas? LOL

Ok, I actually thought there was something about her long range accomplishment in an earlier post, maybe not.

Who cares? Bob cares , he likes to bag the .,243 and I find it amusing. I was arguing with someone on Facebook earlier about chamfering the crimp from a primer pocket. I almost tagged Bob as this guy was saying don't remove brass from the case head.

Yes, fair enough but millions of people must be doing that and companies produce the tool for it so confused as I thought it was an accepted practice.

On that occasion I wanted Bob to back me up because I reckon he woulda on that. But, I do know he mentioned a swaging tool In regards to another issue .

I did ask this guy politely to elaborate as I'm pretty sure chamfering is common practice although there may be alternative s

Ok, I actually thought there was something about her long range accomplishment in an earlier post, maybe not.

Who cares? Bob cares , he likes to bag the .,243 and I find it amusing. I was arguing with someone on Facebook earlier about chamfering the crimp from a primer pocket. I almost tagged Bob as this guy was saying don't remove brass from the case head.

Yes, fair enough but millions of people must be doing that and companies produce the tool for it so confused as I thought it was an accepted practice.

On that occasion I wanted Bob to back me up because I reckon he woulda on that. But, I do know he mentioned a swaging tool In regards to another issue .

I did ask this guy politely to elaborate as I'm pretty sure chamfering is common practice although there may be alternative s
Chamfering is a common method to remove the primer crimp on milsurp brass. The better method is a primer pocket swaging tool. If you chamfer, you want to just take off the crimp ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoover

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!