Elk at 688 yards with a 243

I know what you mean, my explanation was not stated well enough.

Because of the rounds and rifles you shoot, you are limited to say 10-15 rounds a session. If you were shooting one of the rounds I listed in the same weight rifle you currently use. Your session can easily double if not triple. When you are concentrating on where to place your bullet and that is the only factor, you can learn alot about your abilities. Meaning I'm hitting low (probably your breathing) I'm hitting right (could be slapping the trigger). You have the ability to diagnose what is going on. Big magnums, you fight more recoil and blast. Especially when you are trying to make quality shots while training.

Understand not everyone can or will buy a new rifle for certain scenarios, we all have a limit. Could be space, time, or money. If a new rifle is not in the cards, I will suggest running your same drills. Only dry fire, watch your cross hairs when you trip the trigger. If the crosshairs are not on the same spot of the target, you need to work on your fundamentals. It's painless (recoil and wallet), it will help make you a better marksman. I know someone will say, " you will damage you fp" I have rifles with over 300k dry fires on them, fire pin is just fine.
Well, as I have mentioned before here, I bought a Savage 110 in .308 WINCHESTER and have been playing around with it on the range. Virtually no recoil, very accurate and shooting a couple boxes in a range session is "pleasant". I wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with it using Barnes 168gr TTSXs at the ranges where I hunt under 200yds. I probably won't though as I like my .338 better for elk and it ALWAYS anchors them with one shot.

So how did everyone determine that the shooter could get any closer to the elk by watching a 2 minute video? How do we not know if they hadn't been stalking those elk for the previous 4 hours of the last half of the last day of the season?

Lots of speculation going on here. As I've said, I don't have a problem with a 688 yard shot on a elk, just with the 243 that was used.

On trying to get closer to a animal, a lot of members here need to go on a coues deer hunt. On my coues hunt we spotted my buck a mile and a half away. 3 hours later we were 420 yards away with no way to get any closer without spooking him out of the country. A single shot from my 25-06 and he was down. That same hand load would of dropped a elk another 200 yards out.

@NIGHTHAWK
Me thinks not. I used the max load in the manual and even ventured higher to try and get the velocities.
Alas I ran into very flat primers and still didn't get close so backed off to Max.
Even my so called fast chrony was slow as well as a magneto speed chrony they were tried on.
One 243 wouldn't even break the 3,000fps with a max load of H4350 with an 87gn on either chrony set at 12feet.
Dang even Winchester revised their velocities down because they were pie in the sky.
Bob
Bob, I respect the effort you put into preparing to hunt and believe your experience speaks volumes about who you are in the community. I wish I were as dedicated. At this point I depend on others to build custom or semi custom rifles for me and they include custom ammo. That said, I have a fairly well documented PG hunt with a .243 posted here on AH. On that hunt, I took a Golden Wildebeest at a respectable distance with the .243. My PH was mesmerized by the speed and accuracy of that little .243. I have no idea have fast it shoots?! I do know that where ever I aim, and as long as everything remains constant, those Barnes bullets have found their mark every time. Wildebeest weigh somewhere in the 450lb range (plus/minus) and can also be pretty tough. They are not 700lb elk! I’ve killed elk with 7REM MAG, 300 RUM, and .45 Muzzle Loader and I just could not imagine being lucky enough to get a spine shoot, let alone a heart or lung shoot on an elk with my .243! It’s not worth f’ing it up and having an elk wounded and suffer! That said, my little .243 will continue to accompany me around the world to do its job; ethically dispatch animals that I choose to hunt. The reason I also have a long range hunting riffle in 300 RUM, that I continue maintain my skill level with, is to be certain that my effective killing range remains consistent. That includes shooting at different elevations, at different angles, in different shooting positions, and in difficult weather. All this to give the animal the respect it deserves when I choose to take its life. It’s not to feed my ego…

IMG_4021.jpeg

So how did everyone determine that the shooter could get any closer to the elk by watching a 2 minute video? How do we not know if they hadn't been stalking those elk for the previous 4 hours of the last half of the last day of the season?

Lots of speculation going on here. As I've said, I don't have a problem with a 688 yard shot on a elk, just with the 243 that was used.

On trying to get closer to a animal, a lot of members here need to go on a coues deer hunt. On my coues hunt we spotted my buck a mile and a half away. 3 hours later we were 420 yards away with no way to get any closer without spooking him out of the country. A single shot from my 25-06 and he was down. That same hand load would of dropped a elk another 200 yards out.

Coues deer definitely test your glassing and shooting skills. I spotted my last buck at just over a mile. We stalked as close as we could, but it was still a cross valley shot with a ripping crosswind.

Bob,
I’m getting 2,900 with 100 gr bullets in my .243. I don’t feel like I’m pushing it hard. I will admit that I don’t totally trust my chrono, hence the LabRadar heading my way from @Inline6.
Bill
So you could be understating your velocities.
Can't wait till we see the true velocity, might break 3k yet.

I would chronograph my wife's but it's a little 20" barrel so that is a handicap against Bob's .25

Coues deer definitely test your glassing and shooting skills. I spotted my last buck at just over a mile. We stalked as close as we could, but it was still a cross valley shot with a ripping crosswind.
Yep. Hadrest deer to hunt in the USA, I believe.

What rifle / cartridge did you use? I use a 25-'06 or a 280 AI. Some long shots here.

Yep. Hadrest deer to hunt in the USA, I believe.

What rifle / cartridge did you use? I use a 25-'06 or a 280 AI. Some long shots here.

I’ve been using a very accurate .325 WSM. However, the 6.5 PRC pictured earlier in this thread with my 600 yard plate was built specifically for Coues hunting.

Bob, I respect the effort you put into preparing to hunt and believe your experience speaks volumes about who you are in the community. I wish I were as dedicated. At this point I depend on others to build custom or semi custom rifles for me and they include custom ammo. That said, I have a fairly well documented PG hunt with a .243 posted here on AH. On that hunt, I took a Golden Wildebeest at a respectable distance with the .243. My PH was mesmerized by the speed and accuracy of that little .243. I have no idea have fast it shoots?! I do know that where ever I aim, and as long as everything remains constant, those Barnes bullets have found their mark every time. Wildebeest weigh somewhere in the 450lb range (plus/minus) and can also be pretty tough. They are not 700lb elk! I’ve killed elk with 7REM MAG, 300 RUM, and .45 Muzzle Loader and I just could not imagine being lucky enough to get a spine shoot, let alone a heart or lung shoot on an elk with my .243! It’s not worth f’ing it up and having an elk wounded and suffer! That said, my little .243 will continue to accompany me around the world to do its job; ethically dispatch animals that I choose to hunt. The reason I also have a long range hunting riffle in 300 RUM, that I continue maintain my skill level with, is to be certain that my effective killing range remains consistent. That includes shooting at different elevations, at different angles, in different shooting positions, and in difficult weather. All this to give the animal the respect it deserves when I choose to take its life. It’s not to feed my ego…

View attachment 565186
NightHawk, You appear to have extensive experience hunting and especially with the .243, you know the importance of accuracy/bullet placement and proper bullet construction — and have PROVEN results in big game in the field. You make a fact based case for using the .243 on big game — so why Not Elk “under reasonable circumstances” ie: under 300 yrds, broadside shot, steady rest and “good shooting conditions”? While it is Not the best round for Elk (there is NO “best” round) ....place that bullet in the rib cage and there’s gonna be a very dead Elk. Good shooters shooting well constructed bullets = good results. As for my own experience - only shot deer and black bear with the .243 - very good results out to 200 yrds. My Guide in Montana told me that when he was a teenager - he killed several Elk with a .220 Swift “base-of-neck-shots”. He said the round was deadly but required specific/almost perfect placement. Certainly Not a legal round for Elk and kids do dumb stuff but I took his story for just how much “Bullet Placement” can do vs. caliber. On that Elk hunt I had the “smallest caliber in Camp - .30-06. All others had .300, .7MM, .338 magnums. And one guy with. An antique .45-70 open sights. Out of 9 of us - The only “clean kills” were made by me and the guy w/.45-70. One guy with the .338mag killed 2 Cows “by mistake” - he thought he missed his 1st shot - (lost sight in the Magnums recoil) - and took 2nd shot at what he thought was the same cow...dropped it and walked up to find TWO dead Cows ! Game Wardens were called, fined him & confiscated both Cows.
My Summary - Magnums are more powerful and have advantages AND disadvantages because most Hunters don’t shoot them as accurately as lighter recoiling calibers.

Here's a beauty regarding the .243 that you might enjoy. Back in 1976, I wrote to Elmer Keith seeking his opinion on the cartridge. He addressed his response in this personal letter. Back then, I was just beginning to understand his preference for heavy bullets. He also obviously wasn't too hip with word processing and typed the letter on a typewriter, mis-spelled lots of words, and didn't proofread -- all of which always amused me to no end. That was Elmer. Anyway, here it is for you.
From Elmer.jpg

This being a hunters forum perhaps we are a bit hard to please as we are of like minds. Hunters hunt.

Personally think it has more to do with egos, if we are going to be honest.
To these to thoughts I'll ask us all to a man these questions:
How many of you that are condemning the long range shot with a light caliber have ever had to try and track down another hunter's mess and deal with it?
How many of those that are applauding this long range shot have ever had to try and track down another hunter's mess and deal with it?

I'm in the first camp and I'll wager that those in the second camp will be few.

If you aren't answering yes to either question, then respectfully I feel as if you have no standing in the discussion. Your perspective will be greatly changed when you have had that happen a few times.

Here's a beauty regarding the .243 that you might enjoy. Back in 1976, I wrote to Elmer Keith seeking his opinion on the cartridge. He addressed his response in this personal letter. Back then, I was just beginning to understand his preference for heavy bullets. He also obviously wasn't too hip with word processing and typed the letter on a typewriter, mis-spelled lots of words, and didn't proofread -- all of which always amused me to no end. That was Elmer. Anyway, here it is for you.
View attachment 565232
Very interesting letter and great of You to post it. Elmer Keith was well versed in ballistics and helped develop the .41 magnum - believeing that Police needed something more powerful then the .38 & .357’s commonly used in the 1970s. (Problem was Cops couldn’t handle the recoil so the .41 mag never caught on). Elmer Keith also had to compete with the much more popular gun writer JACK O’CONNER so much of Keith promoting bigger bullets and heavy calibers was to be “different” the Jack. Keith consistently “bashed” the .270 Winchester and once wrote “the .270 is a ‘Marginal’ coyote round. Where as Jack was touting it as a great all around caliber for all deer up to Elk & Moose using the 150 gr round and “always” good bullet placement. I enjoy the writings of both men and both had expertise far beyond mine - but I think Elmer was more of a “character” and a bit of BS vs the smarter and more highly regarded Jack O’Conner.

How many of you that are condemning the long range shot with a light caliber have ever had to try and track down another hunter's mess and deal with it?
How many of those that are applauding this long range shot have ever had to try and track down another hunter's mess and deal with it?

If you aren't answering yes to either question, then respectfully I feel as if you have no standing in the discussion. Your perspective will be greatly changed when you have had that happen a few times.
Any Hunter that has Not followed up on a wounded animal - theirs or someone else’s - hasn’t hunted much. I don’t think wounding an animal is the definition of a poor, careless, or egotistical Hunter — it can happen to anyone but is rarely shown in videos, hunting ‘campfire tales’ etc.. I do agree that there are many ways to reduce the likelihood and minimize the risk - limiting range of your shots certainly one of them

These questions are from a different perspective and separate from the original concept. This would be someone else shooting and you required to clean it up. Not about your abilities to shoot. Yes, I have had to clean up others people's messes. It would not have mattered the calibers used, a gut shot is a gut shot along with other bad shots.

NightHawk, You appear to have extensive experience hunting and especially with the .243, you know the importance of accuracy/bullet placement and proper bullet construction — and have PROVEN results in big game in the field. You make a fact based case for using the .243 on big game — so why Not Elk “under reasonable circumstances” ie: under 300 yrds, broadside shot, steady rest and “good shooting conditions”? While it is Not the best round for Elk (there is NO “best” round) ....place that bullet in the rib cage and there’s gonna be a very dead Elk. Good shooters shooting well constructed bullets = good results. As for my own experience - only shot deer and black bear with the .243 - very good results out to 200 yrds. My Guide in Montana told me that when he was a teenager - he killed several Elk with a .220 Swift “base-of-neck-shots”. He said the round was deadly but required specific/almost perfect placement. Certainly Not a legal round for Elk and kids do dumb stuff but I took his story for just how much “Bullet Placement” can do vs. caliber. On that Elk hunt I had the “smallest caliber in Camp - .30-06. All others had .300, .7MM, .338 magnums. And one guy with. An antique .45-70 open sights. Out of 9 of us - The only “clean kills” were made by me and the guy w/.45-70. One guy with the .338mag killed 2 Cows “by mistake” - he thought he missed his 1st shot - (lost sight in the Magnums recoil) - and took 2nd shot at what he thought was the same cow...dropped it and walked up to find TWO dead Cows ! Game Wardens were called, fined him & confiscated both Cows.
My Summary - Magnums are more powerful and have advantages AND disadvantages because most Hunters don’t shoot them as accurately as lighter recoiling calibers.

This has become an ethics in hunting discussion and that is a good thing. Most of us have the common goal of protecting our hunting rights and privileges, wildlife conservation, and maintaining traditions.

Face value: we saw a video of a cow elk killed at distance from a good shot with a smaller caliber rifle.

Would any of us have felt differently if it were a 400” Bull shot with a .338 or 300 RUM long range rifle at the same distance? Did that set up on a non trophy elk seem unethical because it was unnecessary?

My feeling:
I’m a better shot than I am a hunter. I’m trying to become a better hunter so I can get closer to the animals I’m pursuing. When I started rifle hunting big game with a 7 REM MAG, I was limited to about 300 yards as my personal effective killing range and that was basically flat shooting. Limited for several reasons. But, mostly inexperience. I did not know how to shoot steep angles either up or down. On a guided hunt In Wyoming I had to pass on a big mule deer because it was about 360 yards down a canyon at a significant angle and I refused to shoot. I was on a 2x1 guided hunt. The guide asked if I wanted to try? I told him I didn’t want to risk wounding the buck and have him run off… Guide and I go back the old Suburban and he gets the other hunter, who is a friend, whom insists that “he will be successful and kill this buck!” I sit in the Suburban and wait. 4 shots go off from his bolt action rifle and I assume he hit it and needed to finish the poor buck off. They come back to the truck only to report he missed 4 goddamned times! So, I tore into both of them! I said “I could have done that -lobbed shots at that damn buck!” Now, my friend is a very successful hunter and I know that in his 55 plus years of hunting he has killed a lot of deer and elk! But, not in the way I intend to. That’s when I decided to get a custom rifle, with the correct equipment/gear, and learn how to shoot better… I chose a 300 RUM from MOA rifles. I also hunt with several different magnum rifles. **BTW on that same hunt, he wounded another nice buck and we didn’t recover it. While hunting partner and the guide were off pursuing another buck, I glassed a lesser 3 point buck, got within 75 yards of it, by crawling and sneaking, and filled my tag with a one shot kill. We later found out his scope got bumped and was off!

I’ve killed several Elk - out to 300 yards. I know they are tough. I’m not lucky, so I just don’t feel comfortable risking wounding one with a round smaller than a 7MM. My success as a hunter is based on being a practiced shot, taking good instruction/direction from good guides/PH’s, trusting my instincts, and keeping my ego in check. I’ve passed on plenty of animals from not having the right set up or being uncomfortable!

I’m not recoil sensitive and have never had an animal run off wounded and unrecovered because I flinched or wasn’t steady with my shot. I’ve been fortunate to have recovered all the animals I’ve shot, in close proximity to where they were first hit, and always in a short time period.

I’ve made a few neck and spine shots on different animals to include: Buff, Eland, Giraffe, Croc, and Deer. I’ve made these kinds of shots successfully because I don’t get unusually nervous and I practice shooting off sticks, prone, steep angles, and long distance. Those neck or spine shots are also due to circumstance and not because I’m trying to prove something. I used to prefer to shoot Nosler Partition and shoot right on the shoulder of bigger game to break them down, but I changed to Barnes and Berger bullets and my shot placement changed. Again, circumstance stance driven and not ego driven.

There are all kinds of arguments and discussions as to why we as hunters should do things a certain way. There are many criticisms of why we shouldn’t take certain shots, using said calibers or types of rifles and that is what will happen when you post something for the public to see and provide their opinion on. I will give my opinion on my personal experience and my quest to hunt as ethically as possible. Just keep in mind that there are many anti hunting factions out there that collect a lot of information, mostly out of context, to try to stop hunting; even the most ethical hunting!

We should try to take away their ammo! Pun intended…

View attachment 565232
Wow !
I love Elmer Keith , and never thought I would see proof of him condoning a 6.5 ( probably a 6.5x55 Swedish)
I personally don’t condone any shot over 350-400 yards, but I am old school so to each their own

View attachment 565186
@NIGHTHAWK
I respect you shooting abilities and the use of the correctly bullet for game eg the Barnes. The 243 with PROPER game bullets matched to the game will definitely kill animals with well placed shots.
The problem arises when the shot is taken the animal is not always in the right position broadside (animals forget to read the play book when hunted). A lot of people don't have the patience to wait for the perfect shot. I personally prefer to use a caliber that will do the job at any angle or pass up the shot. Yes I have stuffed up and wounded game but have always followed up and finished the job. I have even lost game, a pig that I just couldn't find no matter how hard I looked. Some may say it was just a pig but to me it was a game animal that deserved better.
We all have our skill sets and long range hunting isn't one of mine. My rifles are capable of outstanding accuracy but unless I absolutely have no option I will not shoot past 400yrds. I respect others that can do it alone further but still wonder why.
Bob

@NIGHTHAWK
I respect you shooting abilities and the use of the correctly bullet for game eg the Barnes. The 243 with PROPER game bullets matched to the game will definitely kill animals with well placed shots.
The problem arises when the shot is taken the animal is not always in the right position broadside (animals forget to read the play book when hunted). A lot of people don't have the patience to wait for the perfect shot. I personally prefer to use a caliber that will do the job at any angle or pass up the shot. Yes I have stuffed up and wounded game but have always followed up and finished the job. I have even lost game, a pig that I just couldn't find no matter how hard I looked. Some may say it was just a pig but to me it was a game animal that deserved better.
We all have our skill sets and long range hunting isn't one of mine. My rifles are capable of outstanding accuracy but unless I absolutely have no option I will not shoot past 400yrds. I respect others that can do it alone further but still wonder why.
Bob
A true hunter is haunted by the one that got away. When we muck it up it teaches us a bitter lesson we never forget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concasinoofficialChristal

Latest profile posts

Here are an update on available dates for 2025

Hunting dates available 2025
1-18 March
2-10 April
17-26 April
13-24 May
2 -30 June
8-16 July
26 July - 7 August
23 August - 30 September
LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia