Best .45 ACP round for black bear protection

Here's a quick watch, this shows you how to practice for defense against an animal.

In Alaska, they practice the “Bear Attack Drill,” set up like so:

IMG_0419.jpeg

As it was explained on another forum:
Setup the Bear Drill:

Set up four to six targets in a staggered pattern, placing the farthest 50 feet downrange and the closest at 5 feet. Also, alter the height at which you position the targets, placing them between 2 ½ to 4 ½ feet above the ground.

You can use IPSC targets or cut out 8-inch circles of cardboard. In either case, put a 2 ½-inch black spot in the center of the target. (This spot represents the bear’s nose, a useful aiming point.)

How to Shoot The Drill:

Move your eyes ahead of your gun and learn to time your shot so the trigger breaks the moment your front sight settles on the black dot. Don’t start and stop the gun in a jerking motion - keep it moving smoothly.

Use a shot timer and start with your firearm at the low ready. Set the timer for 3 seconds. At the sound of the buzzer, bring the gun up to the farthest target and get a sight picture (front sight on black dot).

Whether you pull the trigger is up to you, but either way, quickly transition to the next target and then the next. Keep the gun moving in a smooth back-and-forth motion. Before the 3 seconds are up, you should have taken a sight picture on each target, finishing on the closest one.

One clean hit is better than a bunch of misses, and the drill can be shot with a rifle or a handgun. But if you’re using a handgun, you want to try to get at least THREE good hits in that time frame - the more, the better.

For black bear I’d use Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman.45 ACP +P.
It’ll go through seven meth heads and a station wagon full of nuns so I wouldn’t carry it in town. You’ll want a heavier recoil spring too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheronFosd

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg