450/400 3" double as a stopping rifle?

"Even in the Contest between Man vs. Steer .. The Issue is never Certain"

Brain Shot 10ft away. 500?

Tell your friend to use his 375 Ruger and he will be perfectly fine with a good bullet in the right place. That's a great cartridge for a buff and especially for your first buff.

Try the newest .577 load!

1721169738657.png

Turn your .577 NE from a stopping rifle into an accelerating rifle.
A lot more fun guaranteed!

Also available in .600 NE and on special order in .700 NE, for even more fun!

Last edited:
Try the newest .577 load!

View attachment 620092

Turn your .577 NE from a stopping rifle into an accelerating rifle.
A lot more fun guaranteed!

Also available in .600 NE and on special order in .700 NE, for even more fun!
You are killing me.

"Even in the Contest between Man vs. Steer .. The Issue is never Certain"

Brain Shot 10ft away. 500?

Yes. 500NE. The guy that shot from the truck had a heart condition that precluded him from hunting on foot. This is the video that started it all for Mark Sullivan. The first shot was in the bridge of the nose. Then the killing shot was just under the boss.

The 450-400 3” is designed for smokeless powder. It has a thicker rim and stronger case.
Correct. The 3 1/4 version was originally for black powder if I’m not mistaken. Much thinner rim and case thickness. The extra length is all in the neck of the case, where it doesn’t offer much more in respect to case capacity.

Without derailing too much I believe the 450-400 3”, the 450 No.2 and the 475 No.2 are the only nitro express cartridges designed around smokeless powder. All by Jeffrey.
I think the 450 ne 3 1/4 was the first ne cartridge designed for smokeless

The .450-.400 3" was developed around 1896 by Jeffery. Probably the first large bore cartridge designed for use with the higher pressures produce by smokeless powder. 60 grain cordite loads with 400 grain slugs produced 2150 fps. The 3 1/4" was a blackpowder case and not as strong as originally designed. Source: A_Square loading manual. I have a Kreighoff in .450-.400 3", and am looking forward to using it on suitable game. Not as fun to say 400 Jeffery is it?

Ok so we are talking about a "stopping rifle" not a hunting rifle. And for Buffalo in particular. But hey why not throw elephant in there for good behavior. We are talking about something in the 500 class. In particular 500NE for a double and 505 Gibbs for a bolt gun. When the PH can finally afford one you can bet he will own a 500NE Double. That's what Buzz uses and in fact is having Rigby build him one to replace what he currently has. Richard Harland, who developed an affinity for bolt rifle, Mannlicher-Schonauer 458, when eliminating entire herds of Elephants, as a PH used a 505 Gibbs which he still has (and she is a beauty). Sten Cedergren used a 500NE double with the triggers wired together and he'd pull the back trigger firing both barrels at the same time- a true stopping rifle.

In 2008 Ruger collaborated with Craig Boddington to produce a DG series of Ruger no. 1 rifles. Each cartridge would have 250 rifles made, and the calibers were 375RUGER (lion), 450/400 (buffalo), 7x57 (leopard), 300H&H (kudu) and 450NE (elephant). They were released in that order as well.

The 450/400NE was originally made in 3 different lengths...2 3/8", 3" and 3 1/4". Partially as a result of the collaboration between Ruger and Boddington, the other two have fallen out of favor. It's my understanding that Craig had conversations with both Ruger and Hornady about which one to use and decided on the 3" version.

Ammo for the 2 3/8" is almost nonexistant and the 3 1/4" is not far behind. I know that Craig didn't intend to have a negative effect on these two cartridges, but he couldn't pick all three.

Is the 450/400 3 1/4" better than the 450/400 3"...I suppose it could be better if you could find ammo.
In addition to what a few others have said about the 3” case being thicker and designed for cordite vs a revamped bpe cartridge (and easier to reload IMO), Craig once wrote that far, far more pre-war doubles were made for the 3” compared the the 3 1/4 or any other chambering. That matches what I see anecdotally in the second hand market and auctions. That 2 3/8” is a unicorn in my experience. Well before the Ruger #1 came around, the 3” was already the most popular or common variant.

The potential case capacity “advantage” is a little moot, since it will all be about the load that regulates. I think two loads were available, a 60 and 55, with the 55 tropical actually being more common. I’ve had 450/400 3” doubles proofed for each. The 450/400 3 1/4’s I’ve had have all been 60.

is the recoil of the 450/400 that substantially less than the 450 NE as to justify the decrease in power?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KenNunan7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,