45-70 for dangerous game?

I wonder how that crescent butt plate would feel with Marlin/Winchester loads? Sure is beautiful though.

I have a Browning B-78 that was a .45/70, but reamed to .45/110... I don't find the crescent plate bad, even with stout 405 grain gas checked loads... but I also am a fan of pasta and pot roast so take that into consideration.
Browning B-78 Right.JPG

I just got my 45/70 bolt action rifle back from the gunsmith today. Now I can get back to tightening up my 300 ttsx group. It was at 1 1/2 inch at 100 yds. If I can get it at one inch or less its going on the plane to SA. No Cape Buffalo on this trip. just Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbok, Impala and Warthog.
20240228_123514.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it feeding?
Very good. I just had a muzzle break added. It likes the 300 grain .458 socom ttsx. Just over 1 inch at 100 yards. I am trying to get the group under 1 inch. It will be a few months before I can get back to the ranger. We just got hammered with another 3 ft of snow . Hopefully by mid April I can get to the ranger.

Here's my latest rat stopper. I've even installed a suppressor so they don't hear all that lethality coming....
Have the same marlin trapper, but no suppressor's behind enemy lines here in IL. Cool setup!

I wonder how that crescent butt plate would feel with Marlin/Winchester loads? Sure is beautiful though.
I also have a Winchester 1885 with that steel cresent....... Some say not too bad, damn thing is not any fun to me at all, I never learned to work with that........... Its fine with light loads, heavy loads, not so much.......... I went insane a few years ago, and I sold that gun, the long barrel 1886. I took a black bear with that gun in the early days. We chasing with dogs, just happened to tree next to the road, so thank goodness I did not have to carry that thing very far..........
black panther attack
Once again, Dangerous Game...... be glad you had enough gun, but it looks like the Panther took it from you, you are not supposed to let them get that close...........HEH

As long as you make sure your shoulder is all the way in the curve it's not too bad.
Even at 13lbs my 45-90 Rollingblock with a crescent butt plate was pretty uncomfortable to shoot. I ended up shaping a chunk of an old recoil pad to fit the void and using a leather slip-on over it. Works pretty good.

Even at 13lbs my 45-90 Rollingblock with a crescent butt plate was pretty uncomfortable to shoot. I ended up shaping a chunk of an old recoil pad to fit the void and using a leather slip-on over it. Works pretty good.
Yeah, I have thought about doing something similar, however, I am just not talented enough to make something that looks decent, I would have my gun wrapped in black duck tape to hold it on...... Whew....... I never learned to roll with that steel cresent plate, and it just is not much fun with heavy loads....

DSCN2608-X3.jpg

In reality I like the Uberti much better, I have had this gun for years on top of years..... I carried it in Alaska in 2000 and took the only moose I have ever shot and a wolf as well.......

DSCN2642-X2.jpg

Hmmm...... Wolf, is that Dangerous Game? 45/70 did a pretty good job on it........ I did not like myself after that very much however, personal thing I suppose...... It was a snap decision ............I did not think, just did........

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...... Wolf, is that Dangerous Game? 45/70 did a pretty good job on it........ I did not like myself after that very much however, personal thing I suppose...... It was a snap decision ............I did not think, just did........

Wolves are dangerous game if you identify as a rabbit.

Don't feel bad about the wolf... that feeling would go away if you watched wolves yank a calf moose out of a cow giving birth while she is running to escape.

Wolves are dangerous game of you identify as a rabbit.

Don't feel bad about the wolf... that feeling would go away if you watched wolves yank a calf moose out of a cow giving birth while she is running to escape.
Right, and black bears are even worse. Its funny in a sick way, hunters will spend big money to hunt deer, moose and caribou. But when it comes time to thin out the predator population most won't even consider it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheenaFord

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Here are an update on available dates for 2025

Hunting dates available 2025
1-18 March
2-10 April
17-26 April
13-24 May
2 -30 June
8-16 July
26 July - 7 August
23 August - 30 September
LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia