416 Rigby vs 458 WinMag a civil discussion

The way Kevin Robertson puts it is "the 404 did all the work, and the 416 Rigby got all the glory." Many/most African conservation officers were issued 404 Jeffery.
Correct.

The usual theory with respect to its widespread use by the indigenous workers employed by African game departments is that the rifles were affordable because Jeffrey “had released the cartridge to the trade,” meaning anyone could make a .404-chambered rifle. That’s as opposed to the pricey proprietary DGR rifles of the day, like those from Rigby and Westley Richards.

While partly true, as well as that .404 ammo was generally cheaper (back then), it was the .404’s actual ballistics out of real-world rifle barrels that made it immensely popular. In the typical magazine rifle, the .404 imparted the mildest felt-recoil of any of the .400-class cartridges then available, and so skinny Africa game-dept employees could shoot it accurately, under stress, without flinching. No worse than a .375 H&H firing a .300grn load.

Folks like to quote “2150fps” as the defacto standard velocity for .404 ammo with a 400grn/.423” dia bullet, but that was never the case in the field from factory production barrels. The difference is because Jeffrey, Kynoch, et. al, used factory test-barrel fixtures of 26”-28” in length to derive “box-flap” velocity rather than real-world .404 rifle barrels which tended to be 22”, 23”, or 24” in length.

Kynoch is a good example … For their 400grn .404 ammo they list a m.v. of 2125fps as derived from a 28” factory test barrel. From a 24” rifle barrel, the given velocity is 1900fps. In other words, the mild recoil and shootability of .404 Jeff rifles is because actual m.v. in the field ranged from 1900fps to maybe 2100fps as a maximum. My own personal AHR-built .404J sports a 23” Douglas barrel. What muzzle velocity would that same Kynoch ammo make from that barrel?

Yet, with a 400grn bullet, the cartridge still killed all the big dangerous stuff, which led to Taylor’s famous observation that “THE elephant gun” was always a reference to Jeffrey’s .404 and to nothing else.

Last edited:
I believe those 450gr 458WM numbers are off since Barnes advertises their 450gr load at 2,240 fps producing 5,015 ft-lbs.

Also, although i'm sure that the 416 could be reloaded for 450gr @ 2,300 fps, all the 450gr factory loads i've seen are doing 2,100 fps - 2,150 fps.
I was using reloading data not factory advertised loads that online calculator might be off nut I suspiect more that for advertising puposes they push the numbers a bit.

So for 404J - you would go with NF 400 at 2300 or 430 gr at 2150? Or Hammer 400 gr?

Ele is well north of my budget, so thinking strictly for buffalo.
For buffalo 400gr is good enough I was using they 450gr bullet in 416 to show that it is a good performer.

I was actually listening to Robertson and John McAdams discussing exclusively 40 cals recently. Robertson pointed out that a 430 or 450 gr bullet in 416 has a higher SD than a 500 gr 458, though at 2150 fps, it does give up some ground on energy to 458.

Did you listen to the recent episode on the >50 cals? Aside from the 500NE, 500J and 505 Gibbs he didn't see much practical utility in the other big thumpers.

Did you listen to the recent episode on the >50 cals? Aside from the 500NE, 500J and 505 Gibbs he didn't see much practical utility in the other big thumpers.
Yeah, the missus and I were listening to that podcast between Houston and Baton Rouge. Even she, after listening to the way he described some of them, was like "wtf would anybody want something like that?"

Also interesting to note that Dr. Robertson couldnt recall a single example during his time PH'ing in Africa actually seeing one of those cartridges (.577 T-Rex, 600 Overkill etc) used on game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GarlandCha

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.