Would you like a Cigar?

Smoking a claro color cigar, Connecticut shade Oliva

44EA8465-A500-4F5D-8795-61B3F0C66718.jpeg

Just had a 5 Vegas classic, and a couple Brewskies.
Good budget smoke.
20200316_164226.jpeg

Well this Red Dot was underwhelming. I punched it and not only did the entire cap crumble off but also the wrapper pretty much all the way to the band. Then as it smoked, it cracked the whole length. Hardly any smoke at all. I gave up at 2"
IMG_20200401_1929391.jpg

Was the Cigar dry? I like to punch cut when I can, but some Cigars have delicate caps. I've busted the cap on many.

Was the Cigar dry? I like to punch cut when I can, but some Cigars have delicate caps. I've busted the cap on many.

I stored it at 65 humidity bodeva for prob 8 months before changing to 62 humidity last month. At 65 I felt I was still relighting too many times across all brands. After extensive reading, it appeared 62 humidity would be ok and often preferred by seasoned smokers.

62 too low?

Man, looking at the cracked wrapper by your thumb, I'd say that it does look like it's dry. Could it be that your hygrometer is not working properly? When was the last time you calibrated it? I would calibrate it first and if it doesn't calibrate, then get a new one.

Man, looking at the cracked wrapper by your thumb, I'd say that it does look like it's dry. Could it be that your hygrometer is not working properly? When was the last time you calibrated it? I would calibrate it first and if it doesn't calibrate, then get a new one.

So I started using the bodeva packs about six months ago (2 large packs per 15 cigars). At the time, I put my hydrometer in to test the packs and it was spot on 65 humidity. I suppose there are assumptions in play, possible but unlikely, both the packs and hydrometer could be wrong.

Since then I have just trusted the packs to do their job until they get grainy. As I said, I started using the 62's recently.

I was having some cap problems at 65 too, mostly with a punch as Brent stated.

So I'm far from an expert, but I've always worked on the assumption that for 'new world' cigars, you want to be around 68-70%.

Cubans respond well to lower, and I store my collection at 64 for that reason, but if I had a load of Nicaraguan or Dominicans I'd certainly be leaning towards a bit higher?

That said, it depends on your personal preference, and if you're happy at 62, crack on I guess?

Al.

If the Cigar was in a cellophane wrapper, it's possible that it was already dried out when you got it? Cellophane wrapped cigars absorb moisture extremely slowly in a humidor.

Hmmmm, my apologies, I failed to see that part that you were using the Boveda humidity control packs. now, that is strange. Do you by any chance rotate your cigars? Do you mind posting a picture of the inside of your humidor? I'm trying to figure out why you are having those issues, which you shouldn't since you are using those Boveda humidity control packs.

Just picked up a couple Ashton VSG's..... Hope to be up in smoke soon! :cool:

The first two is what I smoked yesterday, and the last one is what I smoked this afternoon. :)

1. Caldwell, The King is Dead
2. CAO Flat Head
3. Oliva G maduro

CALDWELL.jpg

CAO.jpg

Oliva G.jpg

Reactions: BWH
2 & 3 both very mild smokes. How’s the Caldwell?

Actually the Caldwell is like a Medium body and not bad at all. A friend gave me a 5 pack of Caldwell. Cigars, 2 & 3 are considered full body, but for my taste they are more like a med/full, not quite full body at all like they are listed.

Reactions: BWH
That’s interesting.... a lot of the CAO & Oliva are considered Mild.

Yes, some of the lighter ones like the CAO Colombia, Italia or America are quite mild. However the CAO Brazilia, Nicaraguan or Amazon are med-full. The same with the Olivas. The Oliva V and V Melanios (which are my favorite :) ) are full body cigars. Obviously the taste depends on each individual palate.

I am an equal opportunity cigar smoker. :LOL: I have from mild/med cigars to full body cigars, and smoke them depending on the mood or time that I have to smoke. Luckily my wife supports my bad/good habit. LMAO!!!!

The King is Dead, is a good smoke. I pick one up at the local shop on occasion. The Eastern Standard by Caldwell is good too.

Hmmmm, my apologies, I failed to see that part that you were using the Boveda humidity control packs. now, that is strange. Do you by any chance rotate your cigars? Do you mind posting a picture of the inside of your humidor? I'm trying to figure out why you are having those issues, which you shouldn't since you are using those Boveda humidity control packs.

I rotate monthly. I am using food storage glass flip top jars with silicone seal. It holds 15 max, which is the number in there now. I try to keep 10-12 in them, I'm heavy on stock now

I immediately remove the wrappers when received and I always buy from cigar.com. I don't recall them being excessively dry from the shipment.

IMG_20200402_1856060.jpg
IMG_20200402_1855306.jpg

I believe that right there is your problem. Humidors are not seal completely, they need to breath a little and those jars do not, only when you open them to get a cigar. Also, the Spanish cedar wood in the humidors helps control the humidity & temperature. In those jars you are controlling the humidity, but not the temperature and cigars have a temperature range they need to be in also.
My humble recommendation would be to get a small humidor (20-30) and you’ll see a huge difference. I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimothyFit

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia