Who's Trophy is it anyway? Wounded Animals

@Hunter-Habib

I guess it would come down to mind set and ethics.

Good PH/Guide, outfitter, outfitter/PH or Guide

An outfitter, outfitter/PH, PH has a client for X number of days. It's the client's last or second to last hunting day. The client wounds his animal. Time is spent looking for the animal to no avail in finding the animal.

The client as we are all aware pays for the wounded animal. Client has to depart, for personal or business whatever reason cannot extend his stay.

The outfitter, PH relay to the client that they will make every effort to recover the client's animal, notify them, etc, etc,.

A day or so later the outfitter notifies the client the animal was recovered. Outfitter doesn't see the need to provide details, unless client ask, on how the animal was recovered.

Since the previous client paid for the wounded animal; Shouldn't the previous client be given the trophy?

Now allow me to ask community members opinions:

What if the wounded animal is a #1 record book animal.

Who should get credit in claiming the record?
Messenger_creation_665951e7-33b2-4220-a50f-641729998704.jpg

A very good question, Ridge Runner.

Reminds me of the time when I shot both these Axis stags. The one to my right, was taken on my own personal license. The one to the left was wounded in the gut in the afternoon by Brigadier General Mahmudul Hassan but I followed him up & finished him off. The Beat Office officially listed the Shikari of the left side stag as the General since the General's bullet wound wound eventually have proven fatal (albeit after days of agony).

In Africa & Asia, it goes to whoever drew first blood. I don't necessarily agree with this philosophy but it is what it is.
When another hunter wounds/cripples a game animal, I will kill it if I can to end its suffering and to relieve the other hunter of his anxiety. I do not want to claim it as my own. This is especially true if the other hunter is one of my group. Of course, individual circumstances could change things. Big game vs birds for instance, degree of injury from the first shot, etc.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, an incident in Northern California is what prompted my question. In 1989 I was hunting black tails in the Yolla Bollas. I had already killed my buck so I was along with my friend when a buck came sneaking by. He killed the buck and while we were gutting the buck another guy came along and said it was his as he had wounded it, we looked everywhere and found no wound and the deer was moving normally. A huge argument ensued and I finally found a crease on the buck hind leg just above the hoof where the other hunter hit . When the other hunter saw where he hit it, he relented and helped us get the buck to the horses. Everyone was happy but it could’ve ended so much worse.
I agree. When I talk about who hit the animal first, I'm talking about a serious wound.

I agree. When I talk about who hit the animal first, I'm talking about a serious wound.
Agree, the first shooter said when he shot the buck it jumped and kicked making him think he made a good shot. But quickly realized what happened after he saw the evidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KlaudiaI94

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe