SOUTH AFRICA: KoringKoppie Hunting Safaris *Warning* Stay Away

For some of us yardsticks and record books aren't important. If I have a good time hunting at my first safari outfit, why shouldn't I go back? A good time is a good time. Sure, I can roll the dice with a different outfitter. Maybe I'll hit the jackpot and have a better time. Or maybe it will be a shitshow (see what happened to the OP!). My outfitter worked hard to get my return business. Instead I should just tell him, "Sorry, I'm going to try somewhere else to see if I can have a better time." Just burned that bridge! Maybe it won't matter to him. But I tend to live by the Golden Rule. It would matter to me if I was running the business. So it matters to me as a client. But hey, that's just me. Everyone knows I'm such a jerk. :D
So many truth bombs here

If a outfitter busts his ass to give me a great hunt and exceeds expectations why WOULDN’T I reward that with repeat business???

I am far from inexperienced on guided hunts having done several in Western US, hunted Scotland, Namibia and 4 in RSA.

I have used Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris 3 times because from the 1st hunt to the 3rd he goes above and beyond to make sure my guest and I get a great hunt and a great experience. No resting on his laurels even though he already has me as a repeat customer.

I took a cancellation hunt in 2023 with another RSA operator and even though I did my admittedly hurried due diligences, I was prepared to be let down because Marius had set the bar so high. In the end, that outfiter also exceeded my expectation’s. Not just my lowered expectations, but any expectation I would’ve possibly had.

Was it better? No. But it was a different experience and I’m glad I took it.

At the end of the day I would hunt with somebody other than Marius but only for a different experience not because I think I could find something better.

I can tell you that we’re already planning another trip back with KMG in 2026 and I will go on to Zimbabwe to hunt with the Duckworth family at Save Conservancy after. Once again, just for a different experience.

There is nothing wrong with rewarding a great outfitter w repeat business. In fact, it’s smart.

Last edited:
Yes I bought the hunt at auction. I didn't control the sale price. That was the starting bid. You post says I was taking advantage of the outfitter. I have said multiple times I wasn't going for just the donated animal. I added a day for me and my observer, had list of animals I would take and pay the trophy fees for, rented guns at $50 a day, paid $5 for each bullet, and was going to have the outfitters wife mount atleast 3 birds. So there was money being made by him. Ya its not the same as a family of 4 coming and hunting 5 animals each. But it definitely wasn't me taking advantage of his donation.

Moe, some of those comments weren't directed at you personally. I didn't mean to imply that you personally took advantage of the outfitter. My post was not clear. Its more the whole donation system that takes advantage of the outfitters. I apologize.

I took some combat wounded veterans on Safari in Limpopo RSA this year. One of the hunters was sponsored by the owner, the rest donated by a nonprofit. We were all treated like kings and had a wonderful time. We hunted with Magnus Crossberg at Ranchero's Safari's.

Attachments

• skull pics.JPG
    skull pics.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
Saying that you invalidate a person's experience and opinion because they went to the same outfitter on repeat visits seems foolish and pompous to me. If someone goes to Africa 10 times and has a great time every time, that's valuable information. Also, if someone goes to Africa for their first time and has a great time, that's valuable information too. I would argue that a good portion of this site is filled with first time to Africa members. It doesn't mean that person is the leading Africa expert, but their data point has value. Certainly people can, and have, gone to Africa and had bad experiences their first time as well. So it's important to know both good and bad experiences even if it's from someone who has only been once, or has been to the same outfitter 10 times. Discouraging that and their input because you think your way is superior is narcissistic.

Saying that you invalidate a person's experience and opinion because they went to the same outfitter on repeat visits seems foolish and pompous to me. If someone goes to Africa 10 times and has a great time every time, that's valuable information. Also, if someone goes to Africa for their first time and has a great time, that's valuable information too. I would argue that a good portion of this site is filled with first time to Africa members. It doesn't mean that person is the leading Africa expert, but their data point has value. Certainly people can, and have, gone to Africa and had bad experiences their first time as well. So it's important to know both good and bad experiences even if it's from someone who has only been once, or has been to the same outfitter 10 times. Discouraging that and their input because you think your way is superior is narcissistic.
If a person only shoots a mossberg shotgun their whole life and never tries another shotgun, but still says mossberg is the best. Few would value their opinion about other brands. I see no difference with outfitters. You don’t know what you don’t know and have limited ability to compare. There are hunters who think their first African experience is the best because laundry was done daily without knowing it’s standard.

What a great post.

I took some combat wounded veterans on Safari in Limpopo RSA this year. One of the hunters was sponsored by the owner, the rest donated by a nonprofit. We were all treated like kings and had a wonderful time. We hunted with Magnus Crossberg at Ranchero's Safari's.
The relevance? It seems out of place to mention a what’s hopefully a good outfitter on a negative review, especially under a very different circumstance.

If a person only shoots a mossberg shotgun their whole life and never tries another shotgun, but still says mossberg is the best. Few would value their opinion about other brands. I see no difference with outfitters. You don’t know what you don’t know and have limited ability to compare. There are hunters who think their first African experience is the best because laundry was done daily without knowing its standard.
I’ve rarely seen someone say it was “best.” You’re moving the goalpost.

I’ve seen lots say they had a great trip and experience, only to be invalidated by some on here.

If a person only shoots a mossberg shotgun their whole life and never tries another shotgun, but still says mossberg is the best. Few would value their opinion about other brands. I see no difference with outfitters. You don’t know what you don’t know and have limited ability to compare. There are hunters who think their first African experience is the best because laundry was done daily without knowing it’s standard.
You could also go to Africa many times with many subpar outfitters and then claim to know what's best for everyone, doesn't make it true. Someone who went one time could go with a better outfitter and PH than someone who has gone 5 times. That's why you look at the aggregate of many different people's experience and don't try to invalidate them just because they went once or because they only went to one outfitter a bunch of times.

My only counter to that would be that some folks won't have the money to have such a varied number of safari experiences to make that distinction. Some folks have the means to make enough trips to form such opinions. Neither one is either good or bad, simply different.

How many times have you been to Africa? No need to answer; it's been a bunch through various posts you have shared, and you are young. And that is nothing against you; truly, I am happy for you. I worked through several bad decisions in life to finally go twice in the past 3 years, and even then my budget was limited. I want to go again next year. I had hoped to go for lion. Now? I am going through a divorce so next year might not happen at all. I don't share that to garner any kind of pity. Life is what it is. But at age 57 - even if things break well - I probably won't make it over to Africa a fraction of the times you will and have. So my ability to compare is always going to be a lot more limited. Maybe that 'Mossberg' is all I'll ever have and if I am happy with it? So much the better. ;)

The quote is there are so many saying to avoid donated hunts. My experience with a donated hunt was fantastic
Donated Auction hunts. Sounds like your hunt was donated to a particular cause and particular individuals.

My only counter to that would be that some folks won't have the money to have such a varied number of safari experiences to make that distinction. Some folks have the means to make enough trips to form such opinions. Neither one is either good or bad, simply different.

How many times have you been to Africa? No need to answer; it's been a bunch and you are young. And that is nothing against you; truly I am happy for you. I worked through several bad decisions in life to finally go twice in the past 3 years, and even then my budget was limited. I want to go again next year. I had hoped to go for lion. Now? I am going through a divorce so next year might not happen at all. I don't share that to garner any kind of pity. Life is what it is. But at age 57 - even if things break well - I probably won't make it over a fraction of the times you will and have. So my ability to compare is always going to be a lot more limited. Maybe that Mossberg is all I'll have and if I am happy with it? So much the better.
You can still have hunted with different outfits and different areas if you have made multiple trips yourself…

Again people taking It personally. His fact still stands my man.

Best, truly

You can still have hunted with different outfits and different areas if you have made multiple trips yourself…

Again people taking It personally. His fact still stands my man.

Best, truly
Yeah. Again. Facts vary. To anyone but the 9-10 old timers on the board Tundras post rings much more true.

Donated Auction hunts. Sounds like your hunt was donated to a particular cause and particular individuals.
One veteran's hunt was sponsored and paid for by the PH and Owner of Ranchero's safari. Magnus also allowed me to bring a photographer at no extra cost. And they both were treating like kings

I don’t think he’s discouraging or invalidating their view point, he’s not putting as much faith or credibility into their opinion because they don’t have something else to compare/measure it against. If someone has only ever had the steak at Golden Corral does that mean they know what a Ribeye at Texas Roadhouse will be like compared to Del Frisco’s or Cote in NYC?

This works both ways. There are members of this forum who’ve been blessed to take several safaris Tanzania, CAR, Cameroon or in other wild African places that have tens of millions of unfenced acres but never hunted South Africa let alone a game farm. There are some members who’ve never hunted anywhere in Africa without a fence, and there are others who’ve done both. The post you responded to was implying if you don’t have an experience one way or the other, you don’t know what you don’t know.

I think everyone on AH can agree if you like your outfitter hunt with them. Most would suggest if you want to try a new area, find an outfitter that specializes in that area, and keep hunting Africa as much as you can as long as you’re happy with who you’re hunting with.

How many times have you been to Africa? No need to answer; it's been a bunch through various posts you have shared, and you are young. And that is nothing against you; truly, I am happy for you. I worked through several bad decisions in life to finally go twice in the past 3 years, and even then my budget was limited. I want to go again next year. I had hoped to go for lion. Now? I am going through a divorce so next year might not happen at all. I don't share that to garner any kind of pity. Life is what it is. But at age 57 - even if things break well - I probably won't make it over to Africa a fraction of the times you will and have. So my ability to compare is always going to be a lot more limited. Maybe that 'Mossberg' is all I'll ever have and if I am happy with it? So much the better. ;)
Too bad you couldn’t have held out on that divorce until you went lion hunting …..

How many times have you been to Africa? No need to answer; it's been a bunch through various posts you have shared, and you are young. And that is nothing against you; truly, I am happy for you. I worked through several bad decisions in life to finally go twice in the past 3 years, and even then my budget was limited. I want to go again next year. I had hoped to go for lion. Now? I am going through a divorce so next year might not happen at all. I don't share that to garner any kind of pity. Life is what it is. But at age 57 - even if things break well - I probably won't make it over a fraction of the times you will and have. So my ability to compare is always going to be a lot more limited. Maybe that Mossberg is all I'll have and if I am happy with it? So much the better.
There is quite a difference to saying you had a good experience vs refusing to acknowledge the things you didn’t see or that hunts are done differently in other areas. I always respect your opinion and the way you present yourself here. I see others that don’t want to know differently or ask hard questions because they can’t accept there might be a different reality than what was presented to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindiGlass

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe