What's up with todays' gun shops?

Come to WI a couple days before deer season. Blaze orange everywhere. The most ridiculous I ever saw was actually a well presented fellow. An older gentleman with cowboy boots, Wranglers, quality button up long sleeve blaze orange shirt topped off with a blaze orange cowboy hat. I barely made it passed him without laughing. Good gracious did he look ridiculius.
Wisconsin is a special place the weekend before Thanksgiving.

About as bad as the 50 somethings in Daytona during bike week wondering outloud to their trophy, asking if their new chaps make their butt look too fat. Never trust a biker with shiny boots.
The same as seen at most gun shows I've ever been to, which is why I quit going.

Where I live everything is 90% black guns and pistols when I go into the shops looking for USED hunting rifles. They all have new rifles for sale with 99% camo synthetic stocks and many seem to have a SMALL handful of bolt action rifles but half of those are WW2 military rifles. Try and find ANYTHING .338 and up is useless. What has happened? I ask this question to find out if this is a Nationwide trend here and/or in other countries? I guess I'm just fu***** old. LOL
If you ever get near Isle Minnesota at the South East corner of Lake Mille Lacs, stop in at Boone's Fine Guns. After you spend and hour or two looking at stuff in the several rooms and glass cases, mostly new stuff..... go upstairs and start all over with used guns and other cool stuff. I don't think there are any double rifles and not too much in the way of African big bores but they do have a Gatling gun. Some old single barrel with a bore over an inch, lots of M70's, tons of lever guns, especially Winchester. A beat up old double Shotgun decorated with a feather and repaired with some raw hide and says Red Dog on the stock. Even some African taxidermy. Lots of hand guns, especially wheel guns. I do not recall seeing an AR.

And go fishing for Small Mouth or Muskies. Those are World Class in that lake famous for walleyes. There is a little Cafe/Bistro/bar across the side street from the Hardware store. Go in there and have a Bob burger :)

Idk what it was: an AR Carbine @ L&M supply here. With the short stock, I thought, this thing feels remarkably accurate ..
100 yards is a far shot, for me, with anything.

"I could not hit a target at 300 yards if it was rested on Gibraltar .. I have no doubt the Gun is Sound"

I don't find that to be entirely true. Most of the higher end manufacturers make them. You just have to open your wallet. Most of them do seem to be European, their market is different. It shows in their offerings.

Definitely still out there but I agree, very big shift out of the USA or at least USA originated guns.

Browning still makes some very nice OU's. All their "safari" rifles are gone though.

Now days M98 Mauser receivers are harder to find, junker rifles are north of 400.00, stocks worth a hoot are 300.00 plus, barrels are north of $200.00, triggers are $150.00 plus, what you used to throw together for $500.00 is now over $1200.00 once you start drilling holes for scope mounts, bending bolt handles, if you get rid of the flag safety add another $100. For a commercial shroud, and that’s if you do all the smith work yourself. For that price you can buy two kick around AR platform rifles, fun to shoot they sure are but just not the same as a well built Mauser. Just reminiscing I suppose…..

Now days M98 Mauser receivers are harder to find, junker rifles are north of 400.00, stocks worth a hoot are 300.00 plus, barrels are north of $200.00, triggers are $150.00 plus, what you used to throw together for $500.00 is now over $1200.00 once you start drilling holes for scope mounts, bending bolt handles, if you get rid of the flag safety add another $100. For a commercial shroud, and that’s if you do all the smith work yourself. For that price you can buy two kick around AR platform rifles, fun to shoot they sure are but just not the same as a well built Mauser. Just reminiscing I suppose…..
Your cost estimates mostly reflect what I spent last year building my 404. The donor action tapped with a 30-06 barrel and scope relief bolt handle was only about $300 US, but the bolt required trueing (I did the work). My barrel was $400 which I think was fair price. But $600 to ream, thread, and install seemed a bit steep. A Timney trigger with side safety is $150 + whatever $$$ for commercial bolt shroud. I paid $80 for Timney without safety and bought a Dakota 3-position Model 70 style safety including bolt shroud for $200. Opening the bolt face was about $75 US ($100 Can). New bottom metal was $400 (ouch). You forgot that. Bluing was $150 (a bargain but bolt, extractor, and striker stayed white). I used a scavenged butt pad so no cost there. The first 1-piece scope base was $70 but the lower one it wears now was only ten bucks (true!). I found a muzzleloaders outlet on line with a set of Warne QD rings on clearance for only $65. And a couple months ago I picked up a used high grade checkered commercial stock for $300 US delivered to the border. Except for 404 barrel and opening bolt face, I did rest of the work, including modifying feeding rails, loading ramp, and extractor. So that's what, +$2500? Not including the new 1-4x scope @ $150 US (same scope here $380 Canadian)
20240420_112851.jpg

Yep, building guns isn't cheap.

Your cost estimates mostly reflect what I spent last year building my 404. The donor action tapped with a 30-06 barrel and scope relief bolt handle was only about $300 US, but the bolt required trueing (I did the work). My barrel was $400 which I think was fair price. But $600 to ream, thread, and install seemed a bit steep. A Timney trigger with side safety is $150 + whatever $$$ for commercial bolt shroud. I paid $80 for Timney without safety and bought a Dakota 3-position Model 70 style safety including bolt shroud for $200. Opening the bolt face was about $75 US ($100 Can). New bottom metal was $400 (ouch). You forgot that. Bluing was $150 (a bargain but bolt, extractor, and striker stayed white). I used a scavenged butt pad so no cost there. The first 1-piece scope base was $70 but the lower one it wears now was only ten bucks (true!). I found a muzzleloaders outlet on line with a set of Warne QD rings on clearance for only $65. And a couple months ago I picked up a used high grade checkered commercial stock for $300 US delivered to the border. Except for 404 barrel and opening bolt face, I did rest of the work, including modifying feeding rails, loading ramp, and extractor. So that's what, +$2500? Not including the new 1-4x scope @ $150 US (same scope here $380 Canadian)
View attachment 611894
Yep, building guns isn't cheap.
It all adds up in a hurry, especially if you have to hire out any of the smithing.

Yeah, about four years ago I was going to build a .416 Taylor off a Mauser 98. But when I started adding everything up and having a gunsmith do most of it, I awoke from my wet dream. LOL

Yeah, about four years ago I was going to build a .416 Taylor off a Mauser 98. But when I started adding everything up and having a gunsmith do most of it, I awoke from my wet dream. LOL
Amazing how fast a 250.00 project turns into a months tuition for college ain’t it. Thank goodness for Shaw custom barrels, they still put out a respectable product for a fair price.

About as bad as the 50 somethings in Daytona during bike week wondering outloud to their trophy, asking if their new chaps make their butt look too fat. Never trust a biker with shiny boots.
The same as seen at most gun shows I've ever been to, which is why I quit going.

I don't go to many gun shows either anymore, BUT, folks of our "ilk" can find a few gems, because the "spray and pray" crowd makes up most of the attendees.

I bought a CZ 550 Safari Classics in .375 H&H for $800 at the last one I attended!

Sometimes they almost give away big bore ammo. I've bought .375 H&H and .458 Winchester for pennies on the dollar.

The upside is when it's done, the project silk purse built from an ugly WWII man killer is something worth having in my hands made by my hands. And it will only be more worthwhile for the next generation(s). The alternative is put my money in some impersonal mass produced thing made by robots. I could die tomorrow and my 404 build would still have a story to tell. What story would a mail order Model 700 from Cabelas have to tell? "Gee, I wonder how much gas Grandpa had to buy to get to the post office?" :D

Some things really can be priceless. Maybe. But maybe is better than nothing.

Last edited:
I'm curious which case you grabbed, if you care to share .. I've been looking @ this: though I don't believe it's happening?

Daniel - here are some pics . The Australian Rigby distributor now sadly passed and his son were/ are very friendly with me and have given me some special treatment as a good customer over the years . They import a range of rifle cases under the Big Game brand. These are actually very good and sell at a fraction of the price of the Rigby branded cases which are not really much better . My 416 Rigby Big Game is pictured in the Big Game branded case . I also got a great deal on a demonstrator Rigby Americase when I got my 450 Rigby PH from him . It is shown in the attached photos . Both are great cases - would not travel overseas using these but great to pull out of the car at the range or to impress your friends .

IMG_3680.jpeg
IMG_3687.jpeg
IMG_3683.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel - here are some pics . The Australian Rigby distributor now sadly passed and his son were/ are very friendly with me and have given me some special treatment as a good customer over the years . They import a range of rifle cases under the Big Game brand. These are actually very good and sell at a fraction of the price of the Rigby branded cases which are not really much better . My 416 Rigby Big Game is pictured in the Big Game branded case . I also got a great deal on a demonstrator Rigby Americase when I got my 450 Rigby PH from him . It is shown in the attached photos . Both are great cases - would not travel overseas using these but great to pull out of the car at the range or to impress your friends .

View attachment 611919View attachment 611920View attachment 611921
Those brass belt buckles do look classy but I'm not sure I would want them rubbing against the fancy wood and glossy blued metal of a fine $15K gun. I do greatly dislike velcro but must admit it does have utility for some applications.

This has been a very interesting thread to follow. I walk in and out of gun shops every day for a living (gun manufacturer sales rep) and I had to come terms a long time ago that the guns were getting less and less interesting every year that goes by. That being said, they are technological way better than most stuff from the past....but still less interesting.

It would be an interesting survey for this site to ask how many of us own individual guns worth over 10k, 15k, 20k, etc, and how many? Most on this site IMO would be considered far above average hunters and without a doubt we are all spending way more money toward this hobby than 90% of people that go hunting.

If I was a betting man and we did another survey that asked how many members on this site are under 35 years of age, the number would be super small. Then ask them what their most valuable gun would be in their collection, my guess is it's a 2k shotgun or 3500 bolt rifle (with scope), or a 4k Black Rifle. The only trend I see at the higher end for young folks is long range target "tactical" rifles. For some reason these young bucks are willing to go through the trouble of buying 5-8k heavy rifle in 6.5 or some super 30, spend another 2-3k on a scope and go through some "long range shooting course" engineered by some ex-military guy that probably just read a book about it last week, .......But he's an expert and knows how its done. Now that's not meant to be a shot at our military patriots, I have nothing but respect for folks that served, but let's not kid ourselves, 99% of these fellas were never, nor are they ever going to be the "American Sniper".

In a nutshell, there is more happening than most people realize in the gun industry. The management structure is getting younger and younger (lack experience) and are from outside our industry, and the local shops are just trying to survive. They have no choice but to sell what they can bring in and get rid of in a hurry, (for the worst margins of any industry I've worked in)....... or they go broke. The up-and-coming generation was raised on Call of Duty and the plethora of other military inspired games that highlight all the "tacti cool" stuff currently in the stores. Add to that their buying is inspired by the movie industry. How do I know this? Every time a new John Wick movie comes out, whichever HK pistol or Benelli shotgun he is using, we see a spike in sales after the movie release.

Times have changed my Africa Hunting friends, and they are continuing to change. It's becoming more and more difficult and expensive to do these things we love. The incredible level of complication to even get in your truck, drive somewhere out west and go hunting in our own country "the country with the most freedoms" illustrates the future of our sport........but that's probably a topic for a whole new thread....

In an earlier thread I shared pics of a Thomas Bland that I bought at Carl Russell’s shop in the UK. Learning from that experience, I helped a friend set up import for British shotguns for a new shop he has set up. The first shipment is on its way now, inclusive of at least one best quality sidelock. There are still some good shops around!

This is the case worldwide, including in our countries in Europe.

The market for used classic hunting guns and rifles is down. At the moment, rifles are offered far below the price and are often not sold. Some expensive rifles are sold for far less than their real value.

As far as modern rifles are concerned, the synthetic stocks are not always beautiful, but they have some advantages compared to the classic wooden stocks. That is maybe understandable why they are becoming more and more available. As for the caliber of the rifles, you only need to read the posts on the Forum to see where the trend is nowadays, certainly no longer caliber .338 or 9,3mm for hunting game outside of Africa.
Not over here in Australia, far out the used gun market is insane in prices. Usedgunsdotcomdotau if you’re curious.

This has been a very interesting thread to follow. I walk in and out of gun shops every day for a living (gun manufacturer sales rep) and I had to come terms a long time ago that the guns were getting less and less interesting every year that goes by. That being said, they are technological way better than most stuff from the past....but still less interesting.

It would be an interesting survey for this site to ask how many of us own individual guns worth over 10k, 15k, 20k, etc, and how many? Most on this site IMO would be considered far above average hunters and without a doubt we are all spending way more money toward this hobby than 90% of people that go hunting.

If I was a betting man and we did another survey that asked how many members on this site are under 35 years of age, the number would be super small. Then ask them what their most valuable gun would be in their collection, my guess is it's a 2k shotgun or 3500 bolt rifle (with scope), or a 4k Black Rifle. The only trend I see at the higher end for young folks is long range target "tactical" rifles. For some reason these young bucks are willing to go through the trouble of buying 5-8k heavy rifle in 6.5 or some super 30, spend another 2-3k on a scope and go through some "long range shooting course" engineered by some ex-military guy that probably just read a book about it last week, .......But he's an expert and knows how its done. Now that's not meant to be a shot at our military patriots, I have nothing but respect for folks that served, but let's not kid ourselves, 99% of these fellas were never, nor are they ever going to be the "American Sniper".

In a nutshell, there is more happening than most people realize in the gun industry. The management structure is getting younger and younger (lack experience) and are from outside our industry, and the local shops are just trying to survive. They have no choice but to sell what they can bring in and get rid of in a hurry, (for the worst margins of any industry I've worked in)....... or they go broke. The up-and-coming generation was raised on Call of Duty and the plethora of other military inspired games that highlight all the "tacti cool" stuff currently in the stores. Add to that their buying is inspired by the movie industry. How do I know this? Every time a new John Wick movie comes out, whichever HK pistol or Benelli shotgun he is using, we see a spike in sales after the movie release.

Times have changed my Africa Hunting friends, and they are continuing to change. It's becoming more and more difficult and expensive to do these things we love. The incredible level of complication to even get in your truck, drive somewhere out west and go hunting in our own country "the country with the most freedoms" illustrates the future of our sport........but that's probably a topic for a whole new thread....

33 here most exy firearm bought was $2k bolt gun, your age demographic guess (3rd paragraph) was pretty correct so far. Anyone else this bracket wanna chime in? I’m curious too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjohns9393

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?