What's up with todays' gun shops?

Gulf Breeze Firearms in Florida would be good too.

I actually called them the other day. Very nice folks. They had a 375HH I had been interesting in but the consignor was a little bit on the high-side of what it was worth. They sent me a bunch of pics right away and answered all my questions.

I think I may be the odd man out here. I have been a gun guy much longer than I have been into hunting. I have used these black and “Tupperware” guns professionally for half of my life at this point. I use an AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor (funny how a lot of people that bash it can’t spell it) for hunting in the eastern US. It fits well, carries easy, drives tacks and with a low power variable optic I can shoot quickly in the brush or a few hundred yards across a field in addition to that I have thousands of rounds on the platform. I can also take it to the range and enjoy it.

I have carried a glock on a daily basis for almost two decades and I carry one when I bow hunt as well, I have thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds through them.

With all that being said i have recently developed more of an interest in traditional rifles and shotguns as I get more and more into hunting but for me the black rifles will always be there. Variety is the spice of life right??

I had a M70 shipped to a FFL near me awhile back, I don’t think I will ever return to a “ gun store “ anytime soon, everyone behind the counter was decked out in tactical gear, glock on hip , 3 magazines in belt, Kevlar, ect .and every customer had on a similar costume.
when did folks start wearing costumes to gun shops, hunting shows, DSC , ect
this costume thing is a joke imo

P.S
this “ shop” has a Black Rifle Coffee next door ( seems fitting)

I recently acquired a sort-of tacticool low power low price no frill scope for my 404J build rifle. It seems to fit the bill for dangerous game rifle ... except it's matte finish ... which virtually all scopes wear nowadays. The crosshairs are simple duplex and only two turrets (not electrified). The turrets are a bit oversize but not bad. 30mm is a fatter scope but I was able to find a relic super low base to compensate. The gun mounts essentially the same, whether scope or optional iron sights (QD rings). Okay, Bushnell isn't Zeiss or Leopold and the old Weaver 1-piece base isn't Talley, but the scope seems to do the job. For the price, I had nothing to lose. I wasn't sure about the thicker scope so didn't want to spend a pile of money in case it didn't work out. Seems to rather nicely bridge the gap between tactical and DGR.
View attachment 611523
I think the new Elite is only very loosely tacticool. Compare it to the VX-7 1.5-6x24, which presumably was meant to be a "classic". The new Elite 1-4x is roughly similar in overall silhouette (but shorter). Yes, the Elite has more branding on it. The turrets on the VX-7 are comparably chunky based on the photo.
20097149263-leupoldvx7_fs.jpg

Last edited:
I think I may be the odd man out here. I have been a gun guy much longer than I have been into hunting. I have used these black and “Tupperware” guns professionally for half of my life at this point. I use an AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor (funny how a lot of people that bash it can’t spell it) for hunting in the eastern US. It fits well, carries easy, drives tacks and with a low power variable optic I can shoot quickly in the brush or a few hundred yards across a field in addition to that I have thousands of rounds on the platform. I can also take it to the range and enjoy it.

I have carried a glock on a daily basis for almost two decades and I carry one when I bow hunt as well, I have thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds through them.

With all that being said i have recently developed more of an interest in traditional rifles and shotguns as I get more and more into hunting but for me the black rifles will always be there. Variety is the spice of life right??
Absolutely, personal preference.

Late '60s still at home, pre NICs days, I bought an M1 carbine. My father, a former Garand carrier from WW2 says "What the hell are you going to do with that"? Me, "I got a six hundred round tin of ammo in bandoliers and stripper clips I'm going to take to Jim's father's farm and blast away". Shakes his head and says "Be careful". He was a dyed in the wool lever action man. Fast forward to today, different generation, same scenarios.

I was backstage after my brothers show long ago.
There was an older man with a cane sitting in a chair: My Brother said "I want you to meet him" He was a collector. Explained (before they hit the market) CZ's 500, 505 Gibbs were coming.

His family had enough with his collecting in his youth. 1970's: He had an opportunity to buy "two GE Miniguns @ $10K a piece". His family put an absolute stop on it. To his regret, he never listened to anyone again.

I had a M70 shipped to a FFL near me awhile back, I don’t think I will ever return to a “ gun store “ anytime soon, everyone behind the counter was decked out in tactical gear, glock on hip , 3 magazines in belt, Kevlar, ect .and every customer had on a similar costume.
when did folks start wearing costumes to gun shops, hunting shows, DSC , ect
this costume thing is a joke imo

Come to WI a couple days before deer season. Blaze orange everywhere. The most ridiculous I ever saw was actually a well presented fellow. An older gentleman with cowboy boots, Wranglers, quality button up long sleeve blaze orange shirt topped off with a blaze orange cowboy hat. I barely made it passed him without laughing. Good gracious did he look ridiculius.

I'm beginning to lose interest in everything ;

Except a roof over my head & a soft bed.

I must be one out in this discussion about gun shops . I live about 4 miles from the Australian distributor for Rigby & Purdey . Was in there the other day to pick up a beautiful leather rifle case for my Rigby . He always has interesting classic rifles both new and old . A little further up the road circa 6 miles is Rebel Gunworks . They handle amazing stuff . Had Holland and Jeffery double rifles in transit recently . I picked up a beautiful cased Powell shotgun with 2 barrels there last week . I am fortunate to be near some really cool firearm shops in Brisbane .
the real question is, did you move to where you live now to be in the proximity of those gun shops OR did those gun shops came to be in your vicinity as they found their biggest market there :E Rofl:

I must be one out in this discussion about gun shops . I live about 4 miles from the Australian distributor for Rigby & Purdey . Was in there the other day to pick up a beautiful leather rifle case for my Rigby . He always has interesting classic rifles both new and old . A little further up the road circa 6 miles is Rebel Gunworks . They handle amazing stuff . Had Holland and Jeffery double rifles in transit recently . I picked up a beautiful cased Powell shotgun with 2 barrels there last week . I am fortunate to be near some really cool firearm shops in Brisbane .
I'm curious which case you grabbed, if you care to share .. I've been looking @ this: though I don't believe it's happening?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 8.04.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 8.04.41 AM.png
    542.8 KB · Views: 17
From an old guy (75 this month) that's done a mix of the gun games starting with skeet and IMSHA (pistol silhouette) in the '70s through action pistol and 3-gun tactical in the 80s thru the mid 20-teens:

The AR15 and similar is the easiest firearm with which to become proficient with, and more importantly the easiest to maintain proficiently, that ever existed.

How do I know? As I've aged and no longer compete, I still go out and run some of the same pistol and rifle drills from when I competed in the IPSC and 3-gun matches.

My pistol times have gone up by at least 50% (sub 8 seconds to ~ 11 or 12) for a standard El Presidente. And these days I cheat by not doing the 180* turn.

But with the AR or similar gas or piston rifles, be it 5.56/223 or 7.62/308, the times are holding so even it's magical. For home defense, I don't think a properly set up AR15 can be beat. Especially as one's reflexes and eyesight go through the aging process.

And why are black rifles so popular? The initial desire to own one still applies and originated with Billy Bob Clinton's AW ban in 1994.

But I still appreciate my other rifles equally well, if not more so :)

I was backstage after my brothers show long ago.
There was an older man with a cane sitting in a chair: My Brother said "I want you to meet him" He was a collector. Explained (before they hit the market) CZ's 500, 505 Gibbs were coming.

His family had enough with his collecting in his youth. 1970's: He had an opportunity to buy "two GE Miniguns @ $10K a piece". His family put an absolute stop on it. To his regret, he never listened to anyone again.
In 1977? or thereabouts, an LGS had a semi automatic 20mm Oerlikon cannon on display and for sale for $550us. With ammo. Same cannon used to blow the safe open in the 1974 movie “Thunderbolt and Lightfoot” starring Clint Eastwood.

I'm beginning to lose interest in everything ;

Except a roof over my head & a soft bed.
Go to a black gun store and buy an AR 10 and demand a camo stock. You feel better. Or maybe worse. LOL

In 1977? or thereabouts, an LGS had a semi automatic 20mm Oerlikon cannon on display and for sale for $550us. With ammo. Same cannon used to blow the safe open in the 1974 movie “Thunderbolt and Lightfoot” starring Clint Eastwood.
Imagine that, $550... I'd hate to look back @ opportunities lost. But that's really neat .. I love that movie! Even the song by Paul Williams.
Many thanks!

Imagine that, $550... I'd hate to look back @ opportunities lost. But that's really neat .. I love that movie! Even the song by Paul Williams.
Many thanks!
At that time new Ruger, Remington and Winchester rifles were $157 plus $10 more for magnums or bull barreled varmint models. I bought a Ruger .220 Swift varmint at that time. Ruger #1s were $195 plus $10 more for magnums. It’s all relative due to inflation though.

I don't mind the two semi local "gun stores" carrying some black rifles. But so many? To me its like a wall of 30 variations of the same Halloween costume.

I've carried an AR out in the woods in central FL. But they were not my only rifle, just the handy one. Really, the 10/22 was handier. And yes, walnut stocked!

It seems to me that there are only two types of hunting firearms that have resisted the trade trend that leans towards designs that are militaristic, cheap as possible, and mass marketable. Upland bird shotguns and dangerous game rifles. One of the reasons why I really appreciate the artistry, history, and utility of both types.

It seems to me that there are only two types of hunting firearms that have resisted the trade trend that leans towards designs that are militaristic, cheap as possible, and mass marketable. Upland bird shotguns and dangerous game rifles. One of the reasons why I really appreciate the artistry, history, and utility of both types.
I don't find that to be entirely true. Most of the higher end manufacturers make them. You just have to open your wallet. Most of them do seem to be European, their market is different. It shows in their offerings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IrishSeris

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia