What's the next cartridge your looking to add to your collection and what role will it fill?

@Skinnersblade
The 338WM in a Tikka t3 Lite will be a handful. Being 7 pounds it's going to belt you black and blue.
After a mag full of ammo you will be wanting your 340 Weatherby back.
Bob
Only planning on using the action bob , a Boyd’s stock and a heavy contour barrel will tame it down some and a muzzle break will help too. Looking to build on short and handy for calling bears.

I am having a 35 Whelen and a 9.3x62 being put together now. Both from Ruger M77s, MarkI II that are currently 30.06s. That should have me completely covered from 22LR, 223 Rem, 270 win, 30.06, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H and 404 Jeffery and once I get the 35 Whelen and the 9.3x62 I think I’ll have all my bases covered from squirrels to Elephants.
@Fatback
Here goes my big word for the day
There's a PLETHORA of koding info on this forum that will make the Whelen perform how it was meant to.Gets some Hogdon CFE223, stoke it up and go have fun
Bob

Only planning on using the action bob , a Boyd’s stock and a heavy contour barrel will tame it down some and a muzzle break will help too. Looking to build on short and handy for calling bears.
@Skinnersblade
Mate forgot that 338WM
Just git yersef a Whelen. More versatile and hits just as hard.
Remember ol Elmer kilt his world record grizzly bar wif a Whelen loaded with a 275gn bullet.
Bob

@Skinnersblade
Mate forgot that 338WM
Remember ol Elmer kilt his world record grizzly bar wif a Whelen loaded with a 275gn bullet.
Bob
.458 bob not .338 I don’t think even you can make a Whelen compete with a .458 win mag

@Skinnersblade
Mate forgot that 338WM
Bob
For those who don’t know Elmer kilt is a distinct cousin of kieths who hails from the highlands. Legends say it was windy the day he killed the world record grizzly and just as he began to do the calculations for the artillery style trajectory of a 275 grain whelen load a large gust of wind blew his skirt up scaring the bear so badly he actually died of fright. Thus making him the first man to kill a bear without firing a shot in anger.

I’ve got a fierce 6.5prc. Great gun. Loud as a mug with the short barrel and muzzle brake

How well does the break work?

How well does the break work?
6.5 PRC is a light kicking cartridge already, but with how light the all carbon rifle is and the 20” barrel it kicks about like a 30/06 without the brake. With it it’s so light my 9 and 7 year old boys shoot it.

That said, it’s a directional brake and if you stand beside it it’s almost unbearable even with muffs on. I’m a little scared to shoot it in my fiberglass shooting houses but I’ll let you know how it goes.

I have a suppressor for it ordered and will switch to that as soon as out of jail. A good brake can add 2” so a 5-6” suppressor should be well worth it

6.5 PRC is a light kicking cartridge already, but with how light the all carbon rifle is and the 20” barrel it kicks about like a 30/06 without the brake. With it it’s so light my 9 and 7 year old boys shoot it.

That said, it’s a directional brake and if you stand beside it it’s almost unbearable even with muffs on. I’m a little scared to shoot it in my fiberglass shooting houses but I’ll let you know how it goes.

I have a suppressor for it ordered and will switch to that as soon as out of jail. A good brake can add 2” so a 5-6” suppressor should be well worth it
I’ll shoot It and see how it feels. The rifles so light and balanced, I don’t want to change the feel. I usually use APA little bastard brakes. Good luck w/speed in suppressor purgatory.

Not too sure I will add anything just yet. I have stayed away from loose women for several years, so Santa brought me a Chapuis 9.3x74R double and a Kreighoff .450-.400 3" double plus a Ruger .458 WM. Already had the .375 H&H Bruno 602. Think I am all set. Think I will take the 9.3 for Bushpig and another Zebra next year along with the .375 for Buff. I do like and had at one the .243 and .257 Roberts. So . many choices. Currently have a brake on a heavy barrel .308 blaster, waiting on the can.

404J.... because I want one and I know I'm going to have to build one both due to the rarity and that I'm a lefty. It will be my first LH bolt.

I'll be living in Oz so it will be used for Water Buffalo and maybe scrub bulls.

It's going to be eyewatering expensive and a long process. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
I can recommend a couple of top G'smiths for your 404J DownUnder build, both do marvellous work. Where do you think you'll be "settling"? Anthony George, N T Gunsmith is in Nhulunbuy, NT, and Rob Blomfield is in South-East Queensland (S C Gunsmithing). Quote me as a reference, if you wish. Several others of whom I have no personal experience .

Scott,

Looks like you've done a lot more hunting than I have - (I'd say 99% of this forum has).

But -

This question came up on my last hunt - 416 Rigby.

Like you, I have a 375 H&H and a 458 Lott, I also have a 450/400 Double with a 500NE Double on the way.

Where does the 416 fit in this line up? Does it take the place of the 375 or the 458?

When and how would you use it?

Don't take this the wrong way - I'm all for buying another rifle.

It's similar to the shoes thing with my wife, "Why do you need so many shoes?" Answer - they all have a specific application.

The other question then becomes, which do you take? Now you have to get them and enough ammo into Africa.

I suspect ballistics would be a major factor - not something I am very familiar with.

Please share your thoughts

Franco,
I actually laughed out loud after reading the wife/shoe comment. How true that is!
Myself I have Heym making me a 404 Jeff and a 577 NE. Don’t need them but want them…

HH

404J.... because I want one and I know I'm going to have to build one both due to the rarity and that I'm a lefty. It will be my first LH bolt.

I'll be living in Oz so it will be used for Water Buffalo and maybe scrub bulls.

It's going to be eyewatering expensive and a long process. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
I’m in Australia and I was looking at a 404 on a left hand zastava yesterday, my friend who is a gunsmith, was fitting open sights to it for a customer. Took me a while to work out what was wrong with it before I noticed the bolt was on the wrong side..........;)

:A Stirring:
gumpy

I’m in Australia and I was looking at a 404 on a left hand zastava yesterday, my friend who is a gunsmith, was fitting open sights to it for a customer. Took me a while to work out what was wrong with it before I noticed the bolt was on the wrong side..........;)

:A Stirring:
gumpy
@Grumpy gumpy
Grumps my mate @ Peter who has a lovely left handed Weatherby MkV in 404J.
Ended up with it by accident. No one was bidding on it so he put a silly bid in of $1,600 dollars. Next he knows he owns it, nobody else wanted it.
Bob

I want a 275 rigby ( you shoot a better class of animal with a rigby than with a boring 7x57) because I have the barrel, sights, stock blank and bottom metal already, just need a receiver, it will be the backup rifle for my 308 for deer, may even lower my standards and use it on pigs and goats....
gumpy
@Grumpy gumpy
Give Kieth Bridgeman a call he may have a nice Mauser action laying around for you .
One should never lower their standards but you can call the pigs and goats by their Latin name and make them sound flash.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meiyejiujie262

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?