What's the next cartridge your looking to add to your collection and what role will it fill?

I can't think of too many gaps. Maybe a 338 Lapua for extreme long range. Most likely scenario is my wife gets that, she'd probably take possession anyway;)

To solve that issue, I need a 577NE not to fill a gap but sit on top:)
@ActionBob
You sure are a slow learner my friend. It DOESN'T matter what you buy @Just Gina will claim it anyway.
You need to remember
What's hers is hers and what's yours is hers. Unless you can hide it and only take it out when she is not around.
Be warned once she finds your new toy she will either want it or one like it. Just buy 2 of everything solve the problem.
Bob

@Grumpy gumpy
Give Kieth Bridgeman a call he may have a nice Mauser action laying around for you .
One should never lower their standards but you can call the pigs and goats by their Latin name and make them sound flash.
Bob
I know Keith. My gunsmith mate has a few for me to pick through, just need to justify it with our intellectually challenged firearms branch as they think I have too many
gumpy

What do you think of the .264 win mag bob?
@Skinnersblade
Another cartridge the gunwriters killed by calling it an overborne barrel burner not much more than a 270.

It's a far BETTER round than the 270 will ever be. With the newer powders and bullets it can hold its own in the 6.5 field. With a 26 inch barrel to wring all the velocity out of it it will compete with the newer 6.5s like the 6.5 PRC and others.
Bob

I know Keith. My gunsmith mate has a few for me to pick through, just need to justify it with our intellectually challenged firearms branch as they think I have too many
gumpy
@Grumpy gumpy
You shouldn't have to justify it. Ask them if they can play golf with one club because you can't hunt game with just one rifle.
Bob

Just bought my first new gun ever.
A nice .700 for pigs. Had it at the range on Saturday with a red dot. Cuts lover leafs at 50 yards. Gentle on the shoulder with 400 or 500 grainers at 1,600 fps.
Looking forward to trying it on pigs. Should work well.
20230918_075542.jpg

My new .700 (aka 12 gauge)
Templeton T2000 push button gas operated shotgun. Closest I can legally get to a semi out. 2 rounds of buckshot followed by 4 slugs should sort them piggys out.
Bob

With a 22LR, a 6.5x55, a 30-06, a 9..3x62 and a 404J, there are no real gaps to fill caliber-wise. Sure, one could argue that something like a .222, 223, 243 or perhaps a .22-250 could fit in between 22 and the 6.5... but... the 6.5 can do most of those things as well. And the 9.3 is seldom out of the safe. And the same goes for the 22 actually.

Perhaps I should get rid of the 22 and the 9.3 and get .. something that is different in terms of configuration rather than caliber. Say something like a double in 8x57 for driven hunts. Or a lightweight single-barrel break-action for deer stalking in some 6-7 millimeter size. O
My dear friend,
You are well covered for big game hunting, and I dont think that selling some of the collection will be needed. The trick is in widening horizons.
Let me help with some ideas.

For example:

For hunting, it came to my intention, that a long range fast magnum might fill the gap, something like 338 win mag, bolt action maybe?
Then, starting with IPSC - in which case , CZ Shadow 2 orange, to be considered.
Or starting with clay targets, then Perazzi O/U could be considered....

:unsure:

@Sideshow
Why would anyone waste a beautiful rifle like that on a 243. To me the 243 should never have been in favour.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen They can’t get the sufficient energy with some copper bullets to be legal for shooting Roe deer and above in England Wales. Alright if you reload. Our buy that 6.5manbun:barefoot:
Thats why I left mine in NZ and use the 7x57. Ohooo but wait……I’m still using lead:LOL:
They are leaning toward getting rid of lead….but with the huge deer problem that we have here imo it would be a fool move.
Anyway back to the op Bob
My next purchase will have to be a big bore just have to jump through some hoops to please the chief constable :mad:

I had a 7600 in 'O6 and a 7400 in .243. Sold both of them to finance other purchases. Dad had a 760 in '06 also.
Jay, I’m gonna guess that your Rem 7400 .243 (semi auto) had some jamming issues? Although I never owned one the guys in camps that did called them “Jammomatics”, (although their’s were in larger calibers so not sure if the .243 cycled better?). The 760s were very reliable and popular in States like PA where semi autos were illegal — I believe Remington sold more 760s in PA then any other State.

Franco,
I’m definitely no rifle expert so I’m not qualified to know all the differences in the Rigby offerings. I’ve heard they offer a really nice fairly standard rifle called the Big Game. From there, they offer bespoke rifles that are built to your specifications and measurements. Guys like @rookhawk and @Red Leg are better qualified and informed on rifles than I will ever be. I know quite a bit about different places to hunt but less about fine firearms.

I have taken Grant’s gazelle but not Thomson’s or Robert’s. I’ve taken lesser kudu, gerenuk, fringe-eared oryx and Cookson hartebeest, like you, but not the other two gazelles.

If you want any info on Botswana elephant, let me know.
Scott,

Thanks. I'll see Chris from Heym later this week, I'll ask him about 416's.

I got a nice elephant in Botswana last year, I'm always interested in hearing about elephants.

Jay, I’m gonna guess that your Rem 7400 .243 (semi auto) had some jamming issues? Although I never owned one the guys in camps that did called them “Jammomatics”, (although their’s were in larger calibers so not sure if the .243 cycled better?). The 760s were very reliable and popular in States like PA where semi autos were illegal — I believe Remington sold more 760s in PA then any other State.
Mine was very reliable. The key is keeping them very clean. In the case of .243, I just didn't care for the cartridge and the necessity of removing the barrel to clean it, thereby throwing the scope off. The 760 had the same issue, but was not nearly so finicky about being clean.

I hate to say it, but the older I get, the more compelling the desire to thin out the range of cartridges I use and shoot. Over the last 30+ years, I've accumulated about 50 different sets of dies, brass, and bullets for cartridges ranging from the 6.5 Carcano and 8X50R Lebel to the .500 NE.

Since resources are necessarily finite, I've decided that instead of spending time and money on shooting a myriad different rifles, I'd rather plan at least one memorable big-game hunt a year. That's because I realize that after I got all those cartridges out of my system, I always go back to the same one or two rifles--and using them on new species of game around new parts of the world is what makes for thrilling experiences and cherished memories.

Truth be told, I ever see very little reason to reach for anything else but my H&H single shot in .375 flanged. I can shoot it scoped or with a Lyman tang sight, I am supremely confident with it, and it's plenty accurate with a variety of bullets and loads. From plains game to whitetail, from Greenland muskox to Utah elk, from bear to buffalo, that rifle can do--and in most cases has done--it all. If I absolutely had to thin out my sporting rifle collection, that's the one I would keep, plus (perhaps) my 1903 Mannlicher in 6.5x54.

If I ever (doubtful) get the itch to hunt elephant, I have two .450-400s as well as a .500 NE. But even those I have to say I foolishly bought just to have them--and they are just money tied up sitting in a safe for years. I know this is probably not what the OP wanted to hear, but I thought of giving a different perspective. In a world with unlimited money, physical space, and time, I would own every British sporting cartridge ever designed, but this is clearly not the reality.

Just bought my first new gun ever.
A nice .700 for pigs. Had it at the range on Saturday with a red dot. Cuts lover leafs at 50 yards. Gentle on the shoulder with 400 or 500 grainers at 1,600 fps.
Looking forward to trying it on pigs. Should work well.View attachment 558110
My new .700 (aka 12 gauge)
Templeton T2000 push button gas operated shotgun. Closest I can legally get to a semi out. 2 rounds of buckshot followed by 4 slugs should sort them piggys out.
Bob
Wow Bob, thought you liked “pretty guns” - .35 Whelen’s and nice wood?
That gun pictured is Lethal for sure....it’s looks alone could kill (ugly - reminds me of my Prom date) BUT that likely makes it perfect for the classy game you are pursuing PIGS !

What's the next on your list and does it fill in any "gaps" in your collection?

I'm personally leaning toward a 338WM for a moderate thumper that is effective at reaching out beyond the limits of my .308.
Awaiting arrival of used kimber in 280 ackley improved that I’m going to “mess with” and it should do all I need it to do… going to start with some 162 gr Hornady ELD-X ammo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikeyyy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia