What's the next cartridge your looking to add to your collection and what role will it fill?

A Ruger No1 in 300H&H, to fill the gap in my No1 collection between 275 Rigby and 375H&H, very thin on the ground in Australia.
@Kiwifire111
If you find one be prepared to pay big $$$. My mate just sold a No1 in 270 with a 26 inch barrel. He didn't really want to so he priced it at $2,600. The bloody thing sold in 2 hours of placing the add. He ended up with an early Marlin 444 with an 18 inch factory ported barrel. Problem is with the straight stock it beats the snot out of him with the 265gn loaded with 2207. He settled on the 240gn deep URL and a load of Benchmark 2.
Ridiculous.
Bob

@Kiwifire111
If you find one be prepared to pay big $$$. My mate just sold a No1 in 270 with a 26 inch barrel. He didn't really want to so he priced it at $2,600. The bloody thing sold in 2 hours of placing the add. He ended up with an early Marlin 444 with an 18 inch factory ported barrel. Problem is with the straight stock it beats the snot out of him with the 265gn loaded with 2207. He settled on the 240gn deep URL and a load of Benchmark 2.
Ridiculous.
Bob
Bob, a couple Qs - 1). does a 26” barrel add meaningful velocity to a standard .270 round? I thought that 24” takes full advantage of that caliber but am no expert in ballistics. I personally do Not care for any rifle barrel over 24” “unless” its really adding to that rifles performance - as some of the Magnums seem to require. I think the long barrels also look odd (although on a Ruger No 1 it might look fine) and if rifles have a muzzle break or suppressor on it — I break out in a “rash”.
Q. 2). Did not know that a Marlin .444 kicked that hard. I have a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and with full power loads (Buffalo bore) it kicks way too hard for me - so much so that I contradicted my above comment and put a “muzzle brake” on it - yes ugly as hell and makes me a hypocrite but it was either that or sell it. I thought “should’ve gotten it in.444” but your post got me thinking that might not of mattered??

... Been doing some research, thanks to Anthony George, N T Gunsmith, and the Free Library post; for a D/G rifle, the African Express (based on the 404J)would top my list; no silly belt, at least equals, if doesn't exceed the Lott's performance, with the same magazine capacity. In addition, it's an African "invention/development, where 95% of our D/G hunting would occur. I know that A G has a reamer, and dies, plus Bertram (Australia) may have brass as well as South Afrika. In addition, the range of high-quality bullets is sufficient for the most fastidious hunter. Comments, anyone?

... Been doing some research, thanks to Anthony George, N T Gunsmith, and the Free Library post; for a D/G rifle, the African Express (based on the 404J)would top my list; no silly belt, at least equals, if doesn't exceed the Lott's performance, with the same magazine capacity. In addition, it's an African "invention/development, where 95% of our D/G hunting would occur. I know that A G has a reamer, and dies, plus Bertram (Australia) may have brass as well as South Afrika. In addition, the range of high-quality bullets is sufficient for the most fastidious hunter. Comments, anyone?
There was one years ago called the 460 guns and ammo based on the 404j.

Bob, a couple Qs - 1). does a 26” barrel add meaningful velocity to a standard .270 round? I thought that 24” takes full advantage of that caliber but am no expert in ballistics. I personally do Not care for any rifle barrel over 24” “unless” its really adding to that rifles performance - as some of the Magnums seem to require. I think the long barrels also look odd (although on a Ruger No 1 it might look fine) and if rifles have a muzzle break or suppressor on it — I break out in a “rash”.
Q. 2). Did not know that a Marlin .444 kicked that hard. I have a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and with full power loads (Buffalo bore) it kicks way too hard for me - so much so that I contradicted my above comment and put a “muzzle brake” on it - yes ugly as hell and makes me a hypocrite but it was either that or sell it. I thought “should’ve gotten it in.444” but your post got me thinking that might not of mattered??
@hank Buck
The 26" barrel adds abot 50fps to the velocity. That's just what his No1 came with.
The straight stock doesn't fit him as well as the pistol grip stock so it seems to kick harder to him.
He had an 1885 marlin guide gun in 45-70 that I stocked up with 350 grainers at 2,200fps. That bitch would cut your lead finger in the lever loop with every shot unless you were careful. I offered to load some 495s to 1,700fps but he declined. He sold it because it was was to much for him.
I have a misbegotten maverick 12 gauge that weights 7lbs. That thing with 3" slug loads gets your attention. Equivalent to a 500gn bullet at 1,600fps.
Bob

A Ruger No1 in 300H&H, to fill the gap in my No1 collection between 275 Rigby and 375H&H, very thin on the ground in Australia.

Hey Mal,

That No. 1 battery will be pure class.

I have a possible lead on a used No. 1 in 300 Holland.

Will email you.

Mark

Last edited:
No holes to fill. Three rounds I’ve always wanted: .22 Hornet, .257 Wby and .375 Wby. Wouldn’t mind a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun.
@meigsbucks
I have a 22K Hornet and a 25 that equals the the Weatherby.
Both superb calibers for their intended purpose.
12gn of 2205 and a 40gn VMAX gives me 2,900fps and it's bitty groups. The 25 hits and kills stuff as far out as I'm comfortable. Flat, fast and devastating what more can you ask.
@rdog Has a beautiful little bolt gun in 6.5 Grendel and loves it.
Bob

@hank Buck
The 26" barrel adds abot 50fps to the velocity. That's just what his No1 came with.
The straight stock doesn't fit him as well as the pistol grip stock so it seems to kick harder to him.
He had an 1885 marlin guide gun in 45-70 that I stocked up with 350 grainers at 2,200fps. That bitch would cut your lead finger in the lever loop with every shot unless you were careful. I offered to load some 495s to 1,700fps but he declined. He sold it because it was was to much for him.
I have a misbegotten maverick 12 gauge that weights 7lbs. That thing with 3" slug loads gets your attention. Equivalent to a 500gn bullet at 1,600fps.
Bob
Bob, i assume you’re 1885 Marlin = 1895? Also, funny you mention that 350 trainers at 2200fps “cut your lead finger” - I found the exact same thing when using Buffalo Bore 350 gr. I was sighting in at the bench and getting very beat up, took a break and another shooter asked me about the gun - I told him “kicks a lot”. He asked to take a shot and I warned him “just hold on to it tight” and he laughed a bit “I’ve got a .338 win mag” - like I was some sissy. He took one shot (from the bench) - scope cut his eye brow and loop/trigger guard cut his finger...he wasn’t laughing (I’m happy he didn’t sue me). After that I had the muzzle break installed and tamed that rifle by 25% or so — still unpleasant and I rarely use Buffalo Bore, have found that the slightly tamer Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr.provides all the power needed and while it doesn’t penetrate as well - it’s “enough” for most

Bob, i assume you’re 1885 Marlin = 1895? Also, funny you mention that 350 trainers at 2200fps “cut your lead finger” - I found the exact same thing when using Buffalo Bore 350 gr. I was sighting in at the bench and getting very beat up, took a break and another shooter asked me about the gun - I told him “kicks a lot”. He asked to take a shot and I warned him “just hold on to it tight” and he laughed a bit “I’ve got a .338 win mag” - like I was some sissy. He took one shot (from the bench) - scope cut his eye brow and loop/trigger guard cut his finger...he wasn’t laughing (I’m happy he didn’t sue me). After that I had the muzzle break installed and tamed that rifle by 25% or so — still unpleasant and I rarely use Buffalo Bore, have found that the slightly tamer Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr.provides all the power needed and while it doesn’t penetrate as well - it’s “enough” for most
@HankBuck
Reminds me of the shooter I gave my 444 a shot of. He was a 22lr silhouette shooter. He kept on relaxing his lead Hanson the forearm. I told him 3 times to hang in to it. When he touched the old girl off she bucked and roared and the scope kissed his forehead. Luckily it didn't open him up.
It wasn't your normal 444 tho. It was a rebarreled SMLE Mk4 No2. Weight a bit over 7 pounds. It could handle loads that would make the marlin cringe. The load he touched off was a 280gn Woodleigh RNSP at 2,400fps.
He sheepishly handed it back and said you did warn me.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonoreMos

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well