What's the next cartridge your looking to add to your collection and what role will it fill?

7x65R in a single break action probably a K95......mountain rifle....mnt reedbuck, vaal rhebuck, klippie, blesbok, springbuck, redhartebeest, black wildebeest etc. Rifle.....

I have 22LR, 22-250, 6.5 GAP SAUM (Gnat Ass Precision), 30-06, 300WSM, 375 H&H and 458Lott. Thinking I need a 416 Rigby??
Scott,

Looks like you've done a lot more hunting than I have - (I'd say 99% of this forum has).

But -

This question came up on my last hunt - 416 Rigby.

Like you, I have a 375 H&H and a 458 Lott, I also have a 450/400 Double with a 500NE Double on the way.

Where does the 416 fit in this line up? Does it take the place of the 375 or the 458?

When and how would you use it?

Don't take this the wrong way - I'm all for buying another rifle.

It's similar to the shoes thing with my wife, "Why do you need so many shoes?" Answer - they all have a specific application.

The other question then becomes, which do you take? Now you have to get them and enough ammo into Africa.

I suspect ballistics would be a major factor - not something I am very familiar with.

Please share your thoughts

9mm and 10mm
9mm because I had 2 in the past, didn't like either and sold them. Now I need another.
10mm for a smaller, higher capacity option in the back country. (I use a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag now)

I have a Glock 29 in 10mm, it is the compact version with the 6 round magazine. I love it but wanted a higher capacity magazine so I put a Glock 20 15 round magazin and an X-grip in it and now have a wonderful back country gun for when I am in Grizzly country.
I put it in a Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest holder and it is the cats meow!

Scott,

Looks like you've done a lot more hunting than I have - (I'd say 99% of this forum has).

But -

This question came up on my last hunt - 416 Rigby.

Like you, I have a 375 H&H and a 458 Lott, I also have a 450/400 Double with a 500NE Double on the way.

Where does the 416 fit in this line up? Does it take the place of the 375 or the 458?

When and how would you use it?

Don't take this the wrong way - I'm all for buying another rifle.

It's similar to the shoes thing with my wife, "Why do you need so many shoes?" Answer - they all have a specific application.

The other question then becomes, which do you take? Now you have to get them and enough ammo into Africa.

I suspect ballistics would be a major factor - not something I am very familiar with.

Please share your thoughts
I completely agree that I am covered with the 375 H&H & the Lott but I’m considering getting a 416 Rigby because it’s such a classic round. Always kind of wanted one. I have two 375s, one for Africa and another one that’s weatherproofed for Alaska. I have another 375 coming next week as a a partial trade on a hunt. It’s a new unfired Kimber Caprivi. Might sell it. Could take that money and get a 416?? I’m still mulling it over.

I decided not to get into double rifles due to my eyes requiring reading glasses now and I can’t quite bring myself to put a red dot sight on a double!

I am pretty gapless, want a 318 WR in a take down WR. Thanks to @tarbe i just closed a lever action gap with a 348 AI browning 71 and he even delivered it to Montana! We had a great visit! I got to put a picture of it up here, going to fit nicely next to my 1886 browning grade 6.
080FA733-2C81-4645-86CC-6AB36196E2B1.jpeg

I am pretty gapless, want a 318 WR in a take down WR. Thanks to @tarbe i just closed a lever action gap with a 348 AI browning 71 and he even delivered it to Montana! We had a great visit! I got to put a picture of it up here, going to fit nicely next to my 1886 browning grade 6.
View attachment 557855
That is a great looking Browning lever - not familiar with that model but it is very appealing and the wood alone would sell me on it !!. Can you get your fingers into that “loop” easily? I have some trouble with my Marlins 1895 (.45-70) and was looking into adding the enlarged loop - especially for wearing gloves. Will you be adding a scope to that lever action?

That is a great looking Browning lever - not familiar with that model but it is very appealing and the wood alone would sell me on it !!. Can you get your fingers into that “loop” easily? I have some trouble with my Marlins 1895 (.45-70) and was looking into adding the enlarged loop - especially for wearing gloves. Will you be adding a scope to that lever action?
Plenty of room but with heavy gloves would be tight I imagine but I only wear heavy gloves on a snowmobile, I have a hard enough time feeling things without gloves, no way I could shoot with them on

View attachment 557855
Damn that is a beauty Cody :) I'm jealous;)

I completely agree that I am covered with the 375 H&H & the Lott but I’m considering getting a 416 Rigby because it’s such a classic round. Always kind of wanted one. I have two 375s, one for Africa and another one that’s weatherproofed for Alaska. I have another 375 coming next week as a a partial trade on a hunt. It’s a new unfired Kimber Caprivi. Might sell it. Could take that money and get a 416?? I’m still mulling it over.

I decided not to get into double rifles due to my eyes requiring reading glasses now and I can’t quite bring myself to put a red dot sight on a double!
Scott you do need a 416 Rigby. Preferably in a Rigby Big Game:)

I currently don't have anything that shoots a 6.5, .338, or .416 bullet; but i don't really feel compelled to fill in those areas because I have plenty of calibers on either side of them, so I'll just save my nickels for when the next pretty piece of walnut catches my fancy.

Thinking about a Remington 760/7600 in .308 to replace an old model 94 carry in my truck. The .30-30 is becoming an heirloom. I'd also like to get my hands on a CZ550 in. 458 Lott or a ruger #1 in 7x57 just because...

Scott you do need a 416 Rigby. Preferably in a Rigby Big Game:)
Hmmm… I’m thinking about it but if I had your money, I’d bury mine! Lol

Hey guys,

I have just purchased a sporterised M17 in 308 Norma Magnum.
This will be a nice match to my newly acquired 425 Express...
My plan is to load up a nice sleek 180gn projectile at 2950-3000fps and this is the rifle I'll bring if I feel a longer shot might crop up.
According to my ballistic calculator it's got a nice useable trajectory out to about 350m - plus a
308 Norma is just cool (y)

tITd957.jpg

Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

You and I are definitely kindred spirits. For me, the words 416 Rigby conjures up all the lore and romance which attracted me to African Big Game hunting in the first place.

Do I need one - no. Do I want to be able to say I own one - hell yes.

The next question is: Do I stick with Heym and get one chambered in 416? My thought is, if you're going to own a 416 Rigby - it should be a Rigby. What are your thoughts?

As for the doubles - I am with you on that. I'm 70 and I still shoot mine open sights. I shoot with both eyes open so that helps with acquisition, that, and most of my shots have been in the 30 - 40 yard range.

Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

You and I are definitely kindred spirits. For me, the words 416 Rigby conjures up all the lore and romance which attracted me to African Big Game hunting in the first place.

Do I need one - no. Do I want to be able to say I own one - hell yes.

The next question is: Do I stick with Heym and get one chambered in 416? My thought is, if you're going to own a 416 Rigby - it should be a Rigby. What are your thoughts?

As for the doubles - I am with you on that. I'm 70 and I still shoot mine open sights. I shoot with both eyes open so that helps with acquisition, that, and most of my shots have been in the 30 - 40 yard range.
Franco,
Yes, we seem to have the same thoughts. I agree that the ultimate 416 Rigby should be a Rigby rifle. I might consider “settling” for a Hartmann & Weiss or even a nice Dakota. Still thinking it over. Not sure how many more African safaris I will do after this year’s trip to Tanzania if I get my lion?!? We shall see! Also hope to get a roan, topi, Thomson gazelle and Robert’s gazelle. Might not get them all?! I’ve been sifting through rhino opportunists as well but haven’t booked yet.

I want a resonably modern double .600 with modern steel to cope with Woodleigh solids for elephant hunting.. Life insurance..
I have my eyes on one..

What's the next on your list and does it fill in any "gaps" in your collection?

I'm personally leaning toward a 338WM for a moderate thumper that is effective at reaching out beyond the limits of my .308.
@Northern Shooter
Forget the horrible little 338WM mate.
Get a 35 Whelen. It will do everything the 338 will then some.
A 225gn Woodleigh or accubond at 2,900fps will reach way way out and thump the living be jeezes out of game.
The 250s at 2,700fps will hit even harder
Or you can use a 275gn Woodleigh or 280gn A Frame to almost 2,600fps for some serious hurt.

For up close and personal the 310gn Woodleigh RNSP or solid at 2,400fps should give you some serious penetration and power.

As you can see I do like the Whelen.
Plus you can load it with pistol bullets so the kids cam pink with daddy's big gun.
Can't do that with a 338.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikeyyy

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia