What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

IWC opened a boutique not far from us and we stopped by yesterday. I admired the Big Pilot Watch (43mm) and even tried it on. It looked like a dinner plate strapped to my wrist...LOL. My skinny wrists lack the meat necessary to pull it off. Lots of other nice pieces in there, especially their dive watches called the Aquatimer. Even though it's a 44mm case, it seems to wear like a much smaller watch. It felt like a 40mm because of the shape of the lugs and strap supports. Lots of interesting features on this watch too.
View attachment 576253
I really like IWC, not necessarily this exact model, but their simplest pilot mark XX or XVIII for an everyday watch.

For those dress occasions the best looking watch in the world IMO: the IW500704 , I would just replace it with a brown coloured strap.

I really like IWC, not necessarily this exact model, but their simplest pilot mark XX or XVIII for an everyday watch.

For those dress occasions the best looking watch in the world IMO: the IW500704 , I would just replace it with a brown coloured strap.
There is elegance in the simplicity of design. A few watch companies get it, most don't.

I find myself going away from sub dials, GMT, day of the week or even a date window. I do like an automatic Swiss movement that is chronometer certified but three hands on a face done with class is more than enough for me.

The IWC Pilot Mk XX & XVIII are excellent examples of this kind of craftsmanship. My only gripe with them is the look of the leather strap is not to my taste and the deployment clasp they use isn't as secure as I'd like. Both of these problems could be easily sorted.

When I picked up my last watch I changed the strap and clasp before ever putting it on. It made a world of difference.
1703411214119.png

1703411170366.png

I really don't understand men's watch fetishes :):)
But I guess some like to wear all manner of jewelry. I've noticed it's most common among the early 20 somethings and those in some stage of mid-life crisis. The only watch I wish I had was my dad's. It was a small chronograph type he wore as a pilot in WW2. It either wore out or he lost it sometime in the 60s- I don't know? When physically working, I really don't like to wear a watch at all. Especially a big, impressive, thick, heavy, "manly" watch with all the knobs and dials. Watches, especially big, thick ones, constantly catch on things and sometimes get damaged. For me, no interest in wearing or even owning something like a Rolex- no point in it other that to show off to impress others- not unlike wearing gold bracelets and necklaces :) Might as well wear penny loafers without socks and light blue slacks or have gauge ear rings and bad ass body art.

For travel... just a quiet, easy to read, easy to set, simple, reliable, thin, accurate, 50 m H20, analog Casio with woven synthetic band and velcro closure for me. Inexpensive and easy to replace if lost or stolen.

IMG_5150.JPG

But I guess some like to wear all manner of jewelry. I've noticed it's most common among the early 20 somethings and those in some stage of mid-life crisis. The only watch I wish I had was my dad's. It was a small chronograph type he wore as a pilot in WW2. It either wore out or he lost it sometime in the 60s- I don't know? When physically working, I really don't like to wear a watch at all. Especially a big, impressive, thick, heavy, "manly" watch with all the knobs and dials. Watches, especially big, thick ones, constantly catch on things and sometimes get damaged. For me, no interest in wearing or even owning something like a Rolex- no point in it other that to show off to impress others- not unlike wearing gold bracelets and necklaces :) Might as well wear penny loafers without socks and light blue slacks or have gauge ear rings and bad ass body art.

For travel... just a quiet, easy to read, easy to set, simple, reliable, thin, accurate, 50 m H20, analog Casio with woven synthetic band and velcro closure for me. Inexpensive and easy to replace if lost or stolen.

View attachment 576311
I'd say a wrist watch is a reflection of the person wearing it. The same could also be said about the rifle one carries. There are choices to suit every taste, regardless of what others think about it.

I'd say a wrist watch is a reflection of the person wearing it. The same could also be said about the rifle one carries. There are choices to suit every taste, regardless of what others think about it.
His opinion could be synthesized as: "Because I cannot appreciate something, let's ridicule everyone else who does." There have been other members on this thread and on other topics exclaiming the same philosophy. Basically another form of virtue signaling.

His opinion could be synthesized as: "Because I cannot appreciate something, let's ridicule everyone else who does." There have been other members on this thread and on other topics exclaiming the same philosophy. Basically another form of virtue signaling.
I must be doing it wrong. I have 2 rifle that are $6,000 each and either do not wear a watch or if I do while hunting I wear a $20 Casio. I will not bring a Rolex when hunting after having one taken from me when I took it scuba diving. Not going to lose another one and no need to show off to others---That includes the rifle I am shooting, scope (always a Leupold on hunting rifles just because the plain work), gun case, boots and such. I buy what I want or need and do not care what others think.
I do not look at hunting as a fashion show or a look at what I have that is so much more expensive than you have. Too often I have seen people with expensive rifles/pistols and optics that cannot shoot or had the biggest mag and were afraid of the firearm. I do not have an ego problem like they do. I hunt, shoot and kill usually with one shot, gut, skin and go home. I pay no attention to the big ego, look at me type of people.

Last edited:
While I am hunting, I just look at the sun...

HWL

Reactions: pc3
I must be doing it wrong. I have 2 rifle that are $6,000 each and either do not wear a watch or if I do while hunting I wear a $20 Casio. I will not bring a Rolex when hunting after having one taken from me when I took it scuba diving. Not going to lose another one and no need to show off to others---That includes the rifle I am shooting, scope (always a Leupold on hunting rifles just because the plain work), gun case, boots and such. I buy what I want or need and do not care what others think.
I do not look at hunting as a fashion show or a look at what I have that is so much more expensive than you have. Too often I have seen people with expensive rifles/pistols and optics that cannot shoot or had the biggest mag and were afraid of the firearm. I do not have an ego problem like they do. I hunt, shoot and kill usually with one shot, gut, skin and go home. I pay no attention to the big ego, look at me type of people.

I believe I did not explain myself sufficiently clear and this caused some misunderstanding:

You like spending nice money on rifles, but not on watches? Good for you.

Someone else has yearly lodge tickets to his favourite sports team, but could not be seen dining in a fancy restaurant? Good for him.

Someone likes his wine or liquor and collects a multi thousand dollar cellar, but would never wear a decent shirt. Good for him.

Still someone just likes to spend all his money on yachts, cars, guns, whatever , watches. Good for them.

But there is nothing elevated about belittling what someone else’s preferences are. We all have something where we are willing to spend a bit more liberally our hard earned money.

@Divernhunter - I wear a nice watch for me, because I like it. That's all.

i love the IWCs. I have Pilots Mark xvi, classic pilots chronograph (3717-01 reference), and a GST stainless. gorgeous line of watches.

I believe I did not explain myself sufficiently clear and this caused some misunderstanding:

You like spending nice money on rifles, but not on watches? Good for you.

Someone else has yearly lodge tickets to his favourite sports team, but could not be seen dining in a fancy restaurant? Good for him.

Someone likes his wine or liquor and collects a multi thousand dollar cellar, but would never wear a decent shirt. Good for him.

Still someone just likes to spend all his money on yachts, cars, guns, whatever , watches. Good for them.

But there is nothing elevated about belittling what someone else’s preferences are. We all have something where we are willing to spend a bit more liberally our hard earned money.
I have a number of "nice" rifles and I have budget ones. I have a cheap watch and 4 Rolex watches. But I understand what you are saying.
Like you said I spend the money on what i want and really do not care if others like it. It is my money to spend as I please and others can do the same.
The one thing I dislike is people who have high end hunting clothes, optics, gun cases as well as a expensive rifle and show up to hunt without every shooting it. So many of them say "the gun shop bore sighted it" so it is good to go.
Heck I have seen people show up at the range and do not even have the correct ammo. That is why in the CCW class I help with we check the ammo and mags as well as the serial number to be sure it is all correct.

View attachment 576311
Wear what you like or nothing at all, but why do people feel the need to denigrate those who enjoy fine watches? It shouldn't be difficult to see the commonality between enjoying and appreciating nice rifles, optics, cars, pens, watches etc.

So this thread has been both cordial and complimentary and a little contentious? I’m not sure why? Seriously, let’s just enjoy the insight of ourselves that we bring to a discussion like this? Yes?
Soooo I’ve been buying some watches over the last year and I thought I would share…
IMG_5958.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

From the left is a Rose Gold and Stainless “57” Speedmaster, then my Planet Ocean, Rolex ”Maxi Case” Explorer II, Panerai Luminor Marina, and a Frank Muller Casablanca…
The bottom pic is of the face of my Rolex Anniversary DateJust
I only wear the Planet Ocean hunting
Now people can say whatever but two thoughts…
One, I like nice things!
Two, I live by the idea that you always buy and invest in something of value! That way when my time is done and my belongings are left to my family they have something of worth and not a house full of worthless disposable items! Thats just me and my thinking…
Merry Christmas everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurus4d

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg