What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

Laco is one of the original flieger watch companies along with the likes of IWC, A. Lange & Söhne, Stowa and Wempe.

The ETA (aka ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse) caliber 2801-2 manual wind movement used in the Laco Dortmund Erbstück is incredibly robust yet accurate. I believe the Laco belonging to @0002S began production in 2019...but I'm not sure if it's still is. However, Laco does offer other watches that have a similar "distressed" look but retain the advantages of modern metals and caliber. A beautiful timepiece for sure.

Little known fact...
Many of the watches used during WW2 did not belong to the pilots and were instead issued just prior to the flight and returned upon landing (assuming they did return). They were maintained, calibrated and set by a member of the ground crew so that all the watches for the entire wing going on the sortie were in perfect time and fully wound prior to take off. They were also worn on the outside of the flight jacket and the large face was intended to increase visibility.

I went by the IWC shop last week and as @BeeMaa said, was really surprised by the size of the new watches, don´t like them at all.

Mine are from 2004 and 2011, with a 40mm case.

Laco is one of the original flieger watch companies along with the likes of IWC, A. Lange & Söhne, Stowa and Wempe.

The ETA (aka ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse) caliber 2801-2 manual wind movement used in the Laco Dortmund Erbstück is incredibly robust yet accurate. I believe the Laco belonging to @0002S began production in 2019...but I'm not sure if it's still is. However, Laco does offer other watches that have a similar "distressed" look but retain the advantages of modern metals and caliber. A beautiful timepiece for sure.

Little known fact...
Many of the watches used during WW2 did not belong to the pilots and were instead issued just prior to the flight and returned upon landing (assuming they did return). They were maintained, calibrated and set by a member of the ground crew so that all the watches for the entire wing going on the sortie were in perfect time and fully wound prior to take off. They were also worn on the outside of the flight jacket and the large face was intended to increase visibility.

Another Laco, I wear when I hunt.

9AC1AF6E-1A21-488B-AD4A-8AFFDE678522.JPG

I went by the IWC shop last week and as @BeeMaa said, was really surprised by the size of the new watches, don´t like them at all.

Mine are from 2004 and 2011, with a 40mm case.
The largest I own are 40mm and that's about all my wrist can support and have it look normal. The 43's and 45's look good on some people but you need a thick wrist to pull it off.

However I do appreciate the larger dials as my eyesight is not what it used to be. My wife might be on the market to upgrade her 32mm Aqua Terra for that very reason. LOL. I think most of her other watches are at least 38mm.

Little known fact...
Hi @BeeMaa,

could you explain the price differential between these companies, IWC, Stowa, Laco, Wempe, for a basic pilot/flieger watch? I just checked Lago, and their watches run around 4-500 EUR, while a similar looking watch from IWC will be 4-5000 EUR. Is there really so much difference in the movement used? Or is it mostly name?

If one where to want a bomb-proof automatic, that would never needs to be taken off and having the simple, clear and functional pilot styling, where would you look?

Hi @BeeMaa,

could you explain the price differential between these companies, IWC, Stowa, Laco, Wempe, for a basic pilot/flieger watch? I just checked Lago, and their watches run around 4-500 EUR, while a similar looking watch from IWC will be 4-5000 EUR. Is there really so much difference in the movement used? Or is it mostly name?

If one where to want a bomb-proof automatic, that would never needs to be taken off and having the simple, clear and functional pilot styling, where would you look?
I'm sending a PM.

I like Laco as a brand and was considering one of their automatics (along with one from Stowa) before I picked up the Railmaster.

Railmasters are a very nice watch

Hi @BeeMaa,

There are huge differences between a 500 EUR Laco w/Miyota movement and a 5000 EUR IWC w/in-house Swiss movement. I’m sure @BeeMaa will fill you in.

There are huge differences between a 500 EUR Laco w/Miyota movement and a 5000 EUR IWC w/in-house Swiss movement. I’m sure @BeeMaa will fill you in.
For the most part, most watch companies do not make their own movements. You would be surprised to learn that companies such as Rolex, Omega, IWC, Breitling, Tag Heuer, Jaeger-LeCoulture, Longines and even the famed Patek Philippe have used movements that were not produced by them.

Much like making a rifle, parts of a watch can be outsourced. The barrel from one maker, trigger from another and even the stock from someone else...it's the nature of the business. What I have found in watches is that (currently) companies concentrate their own movements on the items they believe are the most important. Many times the in-house movement will be showcased in a clear case back. I've seen this on a few luxury watch brands including Omega and IWC.

The movement is the movement and some are better than others. More accurate, more robust, more complications...etc. The big deal is what does it mean to you. How do YOU feel about the watch on your wrist, the name attached to it, how it looks...etc. Does it make you happy?

I don't mean satisfied, I mean truly HAPPY!!! Like when you look at your wrist, you feel joy. The same way when you open the vault and see your favorite rifle, shotgun or pistol...you are joyful in just SEEING it, let alone shooting it. Regardless of who made the action, barrel, trigger or stock...it makes YOU happy. That's what's important.

And there will be no criticism for the money spent (or saved) as long as you are enjoying what you have.

For the most part, most watch companies do not make their own movements. You would be surprised to learn that companies such as Rolex, Omega, IWC, Breitling, Tag Heuer, Jaeger-LeCoulture, Longines and even the famed Patek Philippe have used movements that were not produced by them.

Much like making a rifle, parts of a watch can be outsourced. The barrel from one maker, trigger from another and even the stock from someone else...it's the nature of the business. What I have found in watches is that (currently) companies concentrate their own movements on the items they believe are the most important. Many times the in-house movement will be showcased in a clear case back. I've seen this on a few luxury watch brands including Omega and IWC.

The movement is the movement and some are better than others. More accurate, more robust, more complications...etc. The big deal is what does it mean to you. How do YOU feel about the watch on your wrist, the name attached to it, how it looks...etc. Does it make you happy?

I don't mean satisfied, I mean truly HAPPY!!! Like when you look at your wrist, you feel joy. The same way when you open the vault and see your favorite rifle, shotgun or pistol...you are joyful in just SEEING it, let alone shooting it. Regardless of who made the action, barrel, trigger or stock...it makes YOU happy. That's what's important.

And there will be no criticism for the money spent (or saved) as long as you are enjoying what you have.

Most movements come from 3 countries. The more recognizable brands use base or in-house upgraded Swiss movements. The Swatch Group locked down ETA SA and limits it’s availability. Sellita is the Swiss alternative. Seiko and Miyota are Japanese work horses. Seagull Chinese movements seem to be the value based alternative and found in most of the boutique start up brands. Then the rest are the random Chinese clones.

For the money, a Seiko 4R36 (35 date only), is bomb proof and comes in many different Seiko watch designs, Most notably in their dive watches. It is also used in many boutique brands.

Another great movement, for the money, is the Miyota (Citizen) 8205 hacked (8215 date only). Again, they come in a variety of Citizen and boutique watches. The 500 EUR base Laco pilot watches use this movement with an exposed decorated rotor. I give these as gifts from time to time and the owners love them.

Buy premium brands and the face (you look at it) to have quality and hold resale value.

Buy used premium brands and the face (you look at it) to have quality and hold resale value better.

A great value Swiss watch is a Hamilton Field Khaki.

Buy Japanese moments for work horse watch.

Buy the watch face. Ultimately you look at it and 99% of the world doesn’t know the movement and most don’t know brands past TAG, Rolex, Omega and Breitling.

Another watch I like to wear in the field.

IMG_2317.jpeg

Most movements come from 3 countries. The more recognizable brands use base or in-house upgraded Swiss movements. The Swatch Group locked down ETA SA and limits it’s availability. Sellita is the Swiss alternative. Seiko and Miyota are Japanese work horses. Seagull Chinese movements seem to be the value based alternative and found in most of the boutique start up brands. Then the rest are the random Chinese clones.

For the money, a Seiko 4R36 (35 date only), is bomb proof and comes in many different Seiko watch designs, Most notably in their dive watches. It is also used in many boutique brands.

Another great movement, for the money, is the Miyota (Citizen) 8205 hacked (8215 date only). Again, they come in a variety of Citizen and boutique watches. The 500 EUR base Laco pilot watches use this movement with an exposed decorated rotor. I give these as gifts from time to time and the owners love them.

Buy premium brands and the face (you look at it) to have quality and hold resale value.

Buy used premium brands and the face (you look at it) to have quality and hold resale value better.

Buy the watch face. Ultimately you look at it and 99% of the world doesn’t know the movement and most don’t know brands past TAG, Rolex, Omega and Breitling.

View attachment 577151
Excellent Tuna and AMG. Rock solid advice/summary here.

View attachment 577151
With this display of knowledge on watches and movements, I might contact you to check for your opinion on a few watches. :D

Seiko 5 Sports, in different models, one is a clone of the Hamilton Khaki

If you can stretch the budget a bit, step up to something from the full Seiko diver line, they'll have screw down crowns vs the push detents found on most of the Seiko 5's. Not that the 5 Sports are bad, but water resistance is significantly enhanced with the screw down crown set-up

If one wants, arguably the least expensive, and most indestructible watch I've ever owned, it would be the Casio G-SHOCK Rangeman GW9400-1. I've had this everywhere including as deep as 165ft. Dual time zones, atomic clock setting, alarm, countdown timer, compass, altimeter, temp, baro pressure, solar powered. It really is the ultimate adventure watch.

Not sexy or prestigious, but it won't break and isn't looked at to be stolen in far away lands by hard up people.

tempImagejwOXaa.jpg

For today’s bird & small game hunt: my new Invicta Pro Diver. We’ll call it an homage to the Rolex Submariner.
IMG_0624.jpeg

The hunt got ruined by the emergence of feral hogs, but I knew precisely what time it happened.
IMG_0625.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trangchuhi88

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!