United from EWR-JNB no firearms as of today

What a bloody nightmare. Leaving the customers in the lurch.

If the CAA is requiring an additional permit why is it only affecting United and not Delta flights?

Because United doesn't care or rather has leftist animus against the hunter. Whereas if the same thing was going on at say Emirates or Qatari they'd be fixing the issue ASAP before one of their royalty gets inconvenienced.

I can't wield a big stick in the world of aviation but I can certainly stay in the middle of a herd going in the right direction, reaping the benefits of the herd's protection.

United and other US/EU carriers are not going to be advocating and resolving issues that I may face on a political standpoint. Hence, I go where my business is wanted and where support for travel with guns is a normal part of business.

If the CAA is requiring an additional permit why is it only affecting United and not Delta flights?
Great question. My guess it's all BS and a smoke and mirrors tactic from United. It's probably a United staffing shortage and/or baggage issue with their personnel and operations in JNB and CPT? Either way, I really feel for the affected hunters and hopefully the situation can get resolved quickly.

Travel at your own risk through Newark.

Never again for me through Newark, New Jersey. Been there, done that. I learned the hard way last year.

Good luck!

I’m headed to Lusaka on Monday. I try to avoid JNB and NJ/NY airports like the plague! I’m on Qatar to Doha and straight to Lusaka. Longer flights but gives me more time to catch up on work and sleep since I’m always overloaded with work before big trips. This debacle confirms my belief in avoiding JNB, United and other US airlines as much as possible.

So sorry to hear of your troubles. Just sucks. Good luck getting it resolved quickly!
Bruce

We had to postpone our trip until next August due to an emergency surgery. Were scheduled to leave August 8th through Newark.
I believe things happen for a reason and this debacle may just be one of them.
I flew United for years leading up to Covid and then did not fly for awhile. Had to travel last week and flights were delayed and cancelled all over the board.
The airline industry, at least domestically, are very messed up right now.
I hope United does the right thing for all of you who are stranded right now.

Hard to fathom. A month ago, went through EWR and JNB with guns like greased lightning.

I received this message from Newark United agent this morning.

Good morning Patrick,
7:00 AM
Just heard from Johannesburg that the CAA
demanded a separate permit from United in addition
to the security company handling weapons for us. This
is allegedly incorrect demand and their decision will be
reverted today. Waiting for a senior manager of the
airport to send a written confirmation and we should
be ok to allow weapons back to normal on tonight's
flights to Johannesburg and Cape Town.
Sebastian”
IM sorry im not fluent in (Kamala) what does that mean?

Just got word from Sebastian in Newark that the suspension was lifted and firearms will resume as normal on United. Quick resolution.
1658338056556.png

Guys I see a lot of hunters here with miserable stories flying out of EWR. First EWR is a terribly managed airport. I quit flying there for business.

Secondly STAY OUT OF NEW JERSEY AS A WHOLE. You taking a firearm to New JERSEY is like you or me taking a swim the Limpopo covered in Zebra blood. Very anti gun state they are worse than NYC.

Always try to fly through Atlanta or Washington.

Atlanta is the holy grail with no problems

Also heard feom PHASA that its being sorted and will be back to normal by tonight

Meanwhile the hunters have had their entire safari blown to bits.

Incompetence

Could United not have gotten you to Frankfurt then on to JNB? They cancelled my flight in May and that’s the route I took. Next time I will fly Delta out of ATL.

Can300, how did you get a rifle through Frankfurt without a permit? Thanks!

Can300, how did you get a rifle through Frankfurt without a permit? Thanks!
I was flying without rifles, are you using a travel agent like TWG? They should be able to handle all of that even if last minute. I had a friend in similar situation who was also rerouted through Frankfurt with his rifle and got it all worked out with his agent.

Delta via Atlanta to Jberg is only other direct. You dont need any special paperwork to travel with rifles on Delta just 4457 and RSA temporary import permit (I usually receive a copy by email before I fly out).
No you don’t need a preapproved rifle permit to fly Delta. It does help but is not required.

Because United is the new kid on the block. Same as the fuel shortage that caused them to cancel and others had contacts to get fuel.
Stay away from United!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallyNesbi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?