United from EWR-JNB no firearms as of today

I HAVE FLOWN OVER ONE MILLION MILES ON UNITED (and Delta, American, and TWA - when they existed). Flying now is a joke and I avoid it whenever possible.

Booked Qatar for my trip to TZ in a couple of months. I will never fly United again since their service and regard for their customers is so degraded.

Do you get the joint in the duty free shops? Asking for a friend.

The problem that you might have in Jersey is if you have to take possession of your firearm and suppressor and leave the airport. Then you are in violation of their laws. As long as you are in transit and your luggage is checked through to your destination where you never take possession then you are fine.

you should know, being from Colorado where to get weed from.

Going to SA in September and just got the Heisman from the travel agent stating Delta and United MIGHT restrict rifles to SA and to stand by.

I had two custom rifles built for this trip and WILL NOT go unless I can take my own firearms.

you should know, being from Colorado where to get weed from.

But I was thinking about inside of a airport past security. Even at the Denver airport you can't get it past TSA

Can300, how did you get a rifle through Frankfurt without a permit? Thanks!

We flew through Frankfurt in 2018 and had to recheck into Air Namibia. We grabbed our bags and gun case, went to the items to declare side of customs and he took the case and walked us to the counter.

The advice of hunting professionals (and experienced hunters alike) has always been along the M.O. of "Keep it simple, stupid!" No military-style (meaning looking) ANYTHING. And, as a result, no problemos, ever. I think it's more fair chase when that gun goes bang (and if the animal runs away, it truly had a fair chance.) But yeah, Delta seems to be the future answer to your immediate woes.
You have to understand that this was a blanket coverage statement. No firearms. Doesn’t matter if it’s a Ruger number 1 in 308 with no scope. They weren’t allowing any of us to go. Four groups of hunters were removed. Literally the entire first class of the plane.

I am not using a travel agent. I fly using reward points so I’m on my own. Just spent 61 hours getting home from Namibia last week. About half of that might have been saved if I was using a travel agent. Unfortunately if I had to pay cash for tickets I would not have taken the trip. So I just read and learn from you folks. Thanks.

You can just pay the agent for their service and use your points, not a problem at all.

I asked that if Travel Express a couple years ago and they were not interested.

@Mounaineer
I booked two trips with Gracy Travel and used mileage on both for the full monte. One round trip cost me around eleven bucks.

Great to know! I’ll give them a call for next years trip. Thanks!

I am fretting just a flight to see my daughter in CO in Sept. lol

Hey Philip, why is this? How is that different from checking the rifles w suppressors on the first leg? Just curios
Their flight was cancelled therefore they had to go out of security and claim their luggage. You cant drive to NJ and check in with a suppressor or you are a felon. If in transit and all goes perfectly then of course it can be done.
I am telling you guys this is a ticking time bomb and it will happen to someone before too long with the hunters now flying through NJ.
PG

Nope. Back in Dallas. Group of six. Flights are sold out and our outfitter only had two days extra on the backend. Hunt would be down to 4 days after getting to the ranch.
So sorry.

So sorry to hear of your difficulties, hope everyone eventually gets to hunt soon. As others have said, leave suppressors, silencers, camo at home. These are sensitive times, don't push any unnecessary buttons.
The point of this thread is being missed entirely! It is United that is the problem!
Does anyone remember the fuel debacle? Now the rifle debacle?
Folks there are other airlines that do a competent job of hauling your butt and your guns to Africa.
Stay away from United and NJ!

Last edited:
Delta's track record is even worse. Total chaos in Europe.
This is all the Europeans fault and not Deltas. Delta sent a completely empty plane to Europe and back just to collect luggage for their customers! This does not happen in this greedy business.
PG

I am not using a travel agent. I fly using reward points so I’m on my own. Just spent 61 hours getting home from Namibia last week. About half of that might have been saved if I was using a travel agent. Unfortunately if I had to pay cash for tickets I would not have taken the trip. So I just read and learn from you folks. Thanks.
This is why I recommend just paying for flights for international hunts. Most would not be able to take 3 days getting home versus just paying for a $2000 flight to start with. This is even more true if traveling as a group and run into a rebooking scenario. The points guy will be the last to get rebooked.
Sorry to hear of your travel woes. Its been a lot lately.
Regards,
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelphiaHun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?