United from EWR-JNB no firearms as of today

Everyone also needs to know that these guys, if they had suppressors, and had to go out of security and recheck back to DFW were instantly felons and off to jail. This is the nightmare scenario that keeps me from considering United to Africa.

It's a little ironic that, just now, I checked my email and had an email from Delta that they had just deposited 10,000 sky miles into my account for a delay on a leg to JNB.

I received this message from Newark United agent this morning.

Good morning Patrick,
7:00 AM
Just heard from Johannesburg that the CAA
demanded a separate permit from United in addition
to the security company handling weapons for us. This
is allegedly incorrect demand and their decision will be
reverted today. Waiting for a senior manager of the
airport to send a written confirmation and we should
be ok to allow weapons back to normal on tonight's
flights to Johannesburg and Cape Town.
Sebastian”
Can you send me that email?

No you don’t need a preapproved rifle permit to fly Delta. It does help but is not required.
Had a new Delta counter person try and demand this of me in 2018. I knew I didn’t have to have a pre approved permit and told her so. She still argued that I did so I demanded to see a Red Coat, Senior Agent, and explained that I made the trip several times and the actual permit was obtained upon arrival. She agreed and checked my guns!

Nope. Back in Dallas. Group of six. Flights are sold out and our outfitter only had two days extra on the backend. Hunt would be down to 4 days after getting to the ranch.

I feel for you all. Bloody nightmare.

Never flew out of EWR w/ firearms (always flew JFK-they know the drill and never a problem. Uncertain if any flights out of there these days, but it IS the international hub for NYC.)

I see JFK has 2 per day with Delta. Are they firearms-friendly these days?

Jesus this whole safari thing is exciting lol. I'm supposed to fly United Newark to Joberg in August with a rifle. We'll see how it goes lol
I'm glad I took a week off of work before and after my scheduled dates. Might need it
RMC when you flying out in August
I'm leaving the 14th

Go to JFK, not EWR! Also find your car when you return, if you leave it at the airport.

Delta via Atlanta to Jberg is only other direct. You dont need any special paperwork to travel with rifles on Delta just 4457 and RSA temporary import permit (I usually receive a copy by email before I fly out).
Delta flies from JFK to JHB 2x daily. No EWR. Use JFK like everyone else.

Everyone also needs to know that these guys, if they had suppressors, and had to go out of security and recheck back to DFW were instantly felons and off to jail. This is the nightmare scenario that keeps me from considering United to Africa.
Hey Philip, why is this? How is that different from checking the rifles w suppressors on the first leg? Just curios

Just leave your mufflers at home. Next. If we had mufflers on our rifles, they'd have scraped up against cliffs we were walking along several times in Zim and Namib. Use earplugs and/or make your 1st shot count. Another hunting widget people do not need (unless hunting on small parcels by suburbia, which is available in SA.) "We don't want the animals to get all wild and run to the other corner of the fence!" LOL :p I see you're having a safe trip so far.

I feel for all that have and will be affected by this United debacle. I flew United in March in the Polaris business class..never again for the $$…disappointing to say the least. After my flight was canceled and rebooked twice…we arrived in JNB from Ohare thru Newark and return with a rifle with no problems…but it seems after this Covid pandemic the whole business world is in turmoil with a very bleak outlook moving forward…Government leadership shows no inclination in getting this society back on the straight and narrow. I am flying out of ORD to WDH in August on Qatar, my third flight with them, and hopefully without any major issues..taking a rifle, with an 8 hour layover in Doha. Will give a update upon return. Someday…I hope to see us back to life and business as we experienced in the pre Covid days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelphiaHun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?