United from EWR-JNB no firearms as of today

Going to SA in September and just got the Heisman from the travel agent stating Delta and United MIGHT restrict rifles to SA and to stand by.

I had two custom rifles built for this trip and WILL NOT go unless I can take my own firearms.
No worries about September. Delta has never had an issue like United just had when they got caught with their pants down.

Their flight was cancelled therefore they had to go out of security and claim their luggage. You cant drive to NJ and check in with a suppressor or you are a felon. If in transit and all goes perfectly then of course it can be done.
I am telling you guys this is a ticking time bomb and it will happen to someone before too long with the hunters now flying through NJ.
PG
What about a delay in Chicago or any other big city? Taking a can/supressor is a non starter at ANY airport. Most are in anti-gun Democratic controlled cities or municipalities. Why look for trouble? My emphatic two cents is LEAVE THE CAN AT HOME!

Just an FYI for those that fly QATAR, they have rerouted Africa flights through Boston. Supressors are illegal in that state.
Suppressors are legal to own in 42 states. Hawaii, California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Rhode Island and Massachusetts have outlawed suppressors

Personally, I hunted deer in Texas in '19. Flight was OKC to PHL direct. That flight was rerouted through St. Louis. Got to the airport, that flight was rerouted through Chicago/Midway. Sat there for eight hours, got home at 3:00 a.m. the next day instead of 8:00 p.m the previous day. Point is, one never knows where there are going to wind up when flying the majors.

Last edited:
Jesus this whole safari thing is exciting lol. I'm supposed to fly United Newark to Joberg in August with a rifle. We'll see how it goes lol
I'm glad I took a week off of work before and after my scheduled dates. Might need it
Us too and this safari is jammed packed, 2 days here and 2 days there and 6 days in camp. Cannot afford any delays or loss of guns.

Lost or delayed firearms are always a possibility. I flew Qatar in June and used their baggage checker. The problem was it wasn't updated until I was up in the air flying to my next destination. I always checked it before we left the airport and when I landed at the next airport it would tell me that my bags had been placed on the plane.

However just because your firearms might be lost or delayed don't let that spoil a trip. Just plan on using one of your outfitters firearms. I know that it isn't yours but it is available. I shoot .340 Weatherby hand loaded ammo and I doubt that I could find any in South Africa between the time that I land and start hunting, so I just figure that if anything didn't arrive I would just use the outfitters rifles and ammo.
But back to United, it looks like it has been resolved shortly after the problem reared it's ugly head.

Lost or delayed firearms are always a possibility. I flew Qatar in June and used their baggage checker. The problem was it wasn't updated until I was up in the air flying to my next destination. I always checked it before we left the airport and when I landed at the next airport it would tell me that my bags had been placed on the plane.

However just because your firearms might be lost or delayed don't let that spoil a trip. Just plan on using one of your outfitters firearms. I know that it isn't yours but it is available. I shoot .340 Weatherby hand loaded ammo and I doubt that I could find any in South Africa between the time that I land and start hunting, so I just figure that if anything didn't arrive I would just use the outfitters rifles and ammo.
But back to United, it looks like it has been resolved shortly after the problem reared it's ugly head.
I put air tags in my rifle case and ammo case. That’s the only way you can really verify their location in close to real time.

Germanys Trade Union, Verdi, has 20,000 ground staff working for Lufthansa & conducting a “Warning Strike” aka walking off Wed - Thursday across of all Germany.

A wage freeze the last 3-years, thousands laid off during COVID to protect Co. bottomline & now Co. failures to correctly rehire those staff to support the flight schedules means: under paid & overworked at the root of the walk-off.

Lufthansa has until 3 Aug to correctly negotiate OR it appears the Warning Strikes w/ little notice could repeat!

Just pathetic for passengers stuck in the middle of shoddy business! I see 2022 going down as the Airline Industry‘s, Big Top 3-Ring Shit Show Circus & Passengers have plenty of legitimate reasons to voice or abandon.

I have lost guns flying and never got them back. If your in your home country go buy a gun and scope you have always wanted and go hunting. If out of country use your PH’s. Sort out the details when you get home. I know from experience.

Us too and this safari is jammed packed, 2 days here and 2 days there and 6 days in camp. Cannot afford any delays or loss of guns.
Best of luck, I hope there are no delays!! You definitely don't have time to spare. I'm going on a twelve day hunt in Limpopo so I am fairly certain I'll get at least a week lol .
What days are you flying?

In speaking with folks on the ground in joberg last week it seems as though United is having some seriously logistical issues in joberg. The firearms ban in an extension of that. It has nothing to do with the company being woke, or anti hunter, or anti military rifle or anything like that. A source who works clearing permits In SA said United was routinely late, and lost baggage was the norm. They said United rented a plane from delta to fly misplaced luggage from joberg all over the world.

We can get mad at one airline or another, whichever has most recently messed us up, or blame one airport or another, whichever has most recently messed us up, but the bottom line is that air travel is a mess globally, and I don't think one airline, or one airport, of the major international carriers and airports is immune.

You fly internationally these days, you (and especially your luggage) take your chances.

Remember that when you are in Joberg you are dealing with the people that United hires there. I have found that their sense of urgency has a different definition than mine.

Even flying out of Joberg on Qatar the person handling the rifles didn't install any confidence into me that my rifle would be leaving on the same flight as I was.

I have lost guns flying and never got them back. If your in your home country go buy a gun and scope you have always wanted and go hunting. If out of country use your PH’s. Sort out the details when you get home. I know from experience.
Sadly I have to admit that I agree. Have hunted in Southern Africa 14 times and going to Namibia in September. Brought my own guns 13 times with no real problems except one gun case failure on return which Delta paid for. Last year because of the unrest in Natal we chose to use the outfitters guns. Nice CZ 550 with Zeiss scope in 375 that I used for lion, common duiker, roan and red duiker. Used his O/U CZ 12 gauge for suni. My wife used his REM 700 in 300 Win for zebra. Really nice guns. Makes travel a lot easier. We flew Qatar business class. The flights were OK but the return trip from Doha to DFW seemed to last forever. The check in in DFW with Qatar was worse that chaotic. I still prefer Delta One for business class and just flew with that to Venice from Austin without any problems. Because we are going to Windhoek this year we are flying Lufthansa direct from Austin to Frankfurt and then to Windhoek. Using the outfitters 375 Model 70 with Swarovski optics for jumbo and buff in Caprivi and dik-dik in the area around Etosha. I am kind of glad not to be lugging guns with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelphiaHun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?