Toughest Scope: Trijicon? Leopold? Others?

I dislike extra knobs and gadgets on hunting scopes. I really dislike tall turret caps/knobs on hunting scopes. I generally dislike variable power scopes on hunting rifles- especially DG rifles. I know that multiple knobs, extreme variable power range adjustment, lighted reticles and dots, "BDC" capability and long range compensated mounting rails are trendy but.... I use the KISS principle for hunting equipment. My preferences have left me out of the market where only those goodies are offered in some scope lines. Three knobs (turrets) on a scope prevents me from mounting scopes rotated 90 degrees left, which I do with all my hunting scopes. That opens up the ejection and loading port to maximum clearance. I use dual dovetail mounts which at times requires some mix and match. But... my system of KISS has never let me down so I'll gladly stay out of the gadgetry race :)

Win 70 416 DD scope mount open 2.jpg

Last edited:
I use dual dovetail mounts which at times requires some mix and match. But... my system of KISS has never let me down so I'll gladly stay out of the gadgetry race :)
That race plays hell on my bank account!

Have seen more Leupold scope go down in competition than any other brand. Now these are tactical style matches that I'm talking about. You might shoot 20 yards to 1800 in the same match. It just depends. The turrets get spun a lot. In 15 stages having multiple targets at multiple distances, they will get a workout.

For a hunting scope that gets sighted in once and never really touched again. They have a lot more leeway. On DG rifles they do experience more recoil. In competition the rifles get thrown into ports, bounce off structures, and dropped by accident (these are 20#+ rifles too). Have only had a few scopes that have never let me down. Just remember, everything man made can fail, no matter the badge on it.

An update. I took a young friend bear hunting with my 358 Win. wearing that 1-3 Weaver. The rifle slipped off its but and smacked the scope on the stand floor. We tested it and it was 1.5 in high at 25 yards. We adjusted it back and shot a bear. So this was a gentle 11 to 12 inch drop albeit onto metal. I'll probably test my 1-4 Leopold on my 308. If it holds up it will go on the 358 and the Weaver will retire.

I've had great experience with all but I will say the trijicon on my .35 whelen pump has never had to be rezeroed and I beat the hell out of that gun, 3-9 with a triangle reticle

As said, anything manmade can fail. Of the two, Leupold or Trijacon I back Trijacon. Have had problems with Leupold's - They make the best scope style, slim and light weight- but troubles else where. Never had a problem with a Trijacon except when my 416 Rigby slipped and fell 3 feet to the cement floor with the eye piece being the first thing to hit the floor. Bent the tube but it still held zero. It was a 1.25-4 triangle on a post reticle. I have stuffed a Leupold with less. mind you if I had picked up the Leupold next to that one it might not have given up the ghost so easy.

I haven’t subjected my Trijicon to any abuse…Yet.
I have over twenty Leupold’s. Of those, the only one I’ve had to send back was a brand new VX2 that had a power adjustment ring that practically needed a wrench. I sent it in and shortly received it back, fixed.
The only failure I’ve had with an old Leupold VX2 with the friction adjustments. I took a bad fall onto the rifle. It began hitting several inches high. Rezeroed… no more issues.
I have a 2-7x Leupold on a .338 mag that hasn’t lost zero in over 40 years. It has chip and scratches (so does the rifle). I also have a 4x I purchased in the late 70’s. It’s been on numerous rifles. Looks like it’s been thru a few wars, yet still holds zero. It goes on hunts as my back up scope.
FYI: I have a Zeiss Conquest that has been banged around pretty goood and has never lost zero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShantellMc

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]