Toughest Scope: Trijicon? Leopold? Others?

Copy/Paste from Jan 5 2023.........Leupold Scope thread;

From 2005 to around 2012 we were doing a tremendous amount of big bore shooting here. This involved Load Data, Pressure Data, Bullet Tech Tests along with a host of other work. On average shooting 200-250 rounds of big bore every week. From .416 caliber to .510 caliber.

For years on top of years my favorite scope, because of its size, eye relief, and its large field of view at very close range was the Leupold Vari X and later VX 1.5 X5. I also worked with the lesser version 1X4 for the same reasons. But there was a major problem, reliability. I always had 3-4 of these at Leupold for repair, and 3-4 on the bench to be sent in for repair, as soon as the others returned. They were good about repairs, 2 weeks or so. I had several scopes waiting, or in repair at all times.

This was at a terrible cost in time, effort and productivity. Finally one day I unboxed a brand new VX3 1.5X5, mounted it on a 50 B&M, and on the third shot fired it exploded inside right before my eyes. Crap on this, enough is enough...... time to look elsewhere.

It was, and even more so now, difficult to find a scope that meets all the parameters I had set. I do not care and will not use a 30 mm scope on my guns, the damned things are bigger than my rifles. No thanks. Size....... Eye Relief........ and most important "Field of View" at very close, 10 yards and in. At this time Trijicon made a 1X4 1" scope, Weaver made a little 1X3, and Nikon made a 1X4, all of these fit the size, Eye Relief and Field of View requirements I had. So I got one each to try. The Weaver scope was great for size, but lacked some quality features in my opinion. The Trijicon was great, it had the German Crosshairs, and other requirements, but damn it was fairly expensive, and I needed between 12-15 of them if not more...... At first I did not really care so much for the Nikon, had large adjustment knobs........ But it was clear, eye relief was great, and Field of View was great, overall it appeared better than the Leupold on those counts..... I put it on a 500 MDM heavy recoiling rifle, and went to work......

After several 100 rounds the Nikon was good to go, I bought a few more........ and this trend continued, I bought a few more......... Today I have 20+ of those Nikon 1X4 Scopes, many on rifles, some on standby. A few years ago Nikon went WOKE and discontinued all their rifle scopes. That was a terrible event for Big Bore shooters. You can still find them in various Ebay and Gun Broker sales, which I on occasion pick one up, spares are fine. Lost time, sending scopes for repair? After I switched to the Nikon I never sent another scope in for repair, not once. The original Nikon I bought, is still on a 500 MDM and has had 100s if not 1000s of big bore fired with it.

Yes, I have busted nearly all the very expensive Euro trash models too.......

The last 18 months I kept record of Leupolds I sent 13 different Leupold Scopes back for repairs.

Normally around 300-400 rounds of 458 Winchester a Leupold will hold, about the same on 45/70s. 458 Lott normally around 200 rounds. My .500s ..... well they are scope busting machines, as little as 3 rounds seems to bust them to pieces......... Of course on lesser recoiling rat guns one might last a long time......... Safe Queens that get fired 10 times a year they will last longer as well........... I am not sure if they are worth a crap today or not, with all the Nikons stored here I won't need to ever find out.........

As for the Trijicon, I see they do not make that 1 inch scope any longer, damn it was good, still have it. I recently bought a new 30mm Trijicon, they are still 30mm and over sized .... I put it on a 458 Lott I have and I suppose that will be home for it, its just to large to have on anything else of mine. And I will never take the Lott to the field anyway...........

I have a few Leuopold scopes and no hassles i know of someone who had a similiar sounding problem to you and sent it back to leuopold who replaced it no questions asked.

Michael I have one of those 1-3 Weavers for my 358. Did you test it on heavy kickers? I had just assumed it would not be as tough since it originally sold for maybe $130 and it seemed to be designed more for 30-30s.

Michael thanks for the update. I call dibbss if you ever sell the 1 inch Trijicon!
I think somewhere I mentioned I bought a 30mm Trijicon, put it on one of my 458 Lotts, but I don't care that much for it, 30mm and all... just too damn big. We got another one for a friends 458 Lott, and it didn't seem to track as good as I would like, took it off and will use it as a backup..... Put one of my 1X4 Nikons on it for him and it is much better........

No, I think I will hang on to that rare 1" Trijicon, had I known they were not going to make those I might would have put in a couple more.
Michael I have one of those 1-3 Weavers for my 358. Did you test it on heavy kickers?
That little scope had everything going for it as I recall, especially "Size"........... but I really did not get too far with it, just seemed like the quality was not as much as I had hoped for. I can't pinpoint any exact issues, just did not trust it as much on a big bore..... it came up a little short........

I had just assumed it would not be as tough since it originally sold for maybe $130
Yeah, don't assume too much..... not based on price....... When the 1X4 Nikon was in production, it cost a steady $270 at every distributor for several years...... To me, it was clear and bright, better than Leupolds, it tracked and worked perfectly time after time, it had more eye relief, nearly perfect in size, and it had excellent or superior field of view....... all for $270........

After the great success with the Nikons I sold over 40 Leupold scopes all of various sizes, shapes and powers........ replaced every single one with Nikons....... I even tried the really cheap Nikons, and damn..... still zero issues........... Too bad they went WOKE on us............

This discussion has been interesting. I did a ton of Google searches and reached out on another forum. Here are my rough conclusions
  • Some people have stories of Leopold scopes taking abuse. Sometimes they hold zero. Sometimes the zero shifts but the scope is not broken (it works after a rezero). Occasionally the scope fails catastrophically and never holds zero again.
  • The exact details of how a scope hits probably matter a lot. Was the turret hit? Did the rifle break the fall first, etc.
  • There are no standardized tests of scopes. Leopold and other companies say they are tested but details generally are not available. Do the tests measure side impacts? Or only recoil style impacts?
  • On another forum someone did drop scoped rifles. Most failed. Leopold long range scopes failed. Nightforce scopes held up. A Trijicon Tenmile held up. A Trijicon Credo held up better than most although zero shifted a bit after a 3 foot drop.
So it's hard to say. A Leopold like mine that had been bounced around a bit is probably okay on a normal rifle if not abused. A Trijicon might be a bit tougher though. I'm supposed to meet a guy with a used Trijicon 1-4 in a couple weeks. If I like it I'll probably stick it on my bear gun.

In other news I'm redoing my non bear gun scopes. I have a SWFA 3-9 that is supposed to be supper tough. I like the glass a lot. Good in low light. I think it will go on my 308. With the mil dots and dialable turrents it should cover long range caribou. The awesome light gathering should make it work as a kids gun on bear stands in the dark woods (backed up by dad/uncle with the 375 and Trijicon). Its an expensive scope but I probably won't have to worry about kid bumps knocking it off zero.
I picked up a used SWFA 2.5-10 scope. This thing is only 9.5 oz but supposedly dials consistently enough for long range shooting. I think I'll put it on a cut down Ruger American 30-06 as a sort of poor man's mountain rifle. Total weight should be sub 7 pound. Not bad for $650 total. I'll love carrying it. My beloved. 358 is probably going to get a red dot.

Copy/Paste from Jan 5 2023.........Leupold Scope thread;

From 2005 to around 2012 we were doing a tremendous amount of big bore shooting here. This involved Load Data, Pressure Data, Bullet Tech Tests along with a host of other work. On average shooting 200-250 rounds of big bore every week. From .416 caliber to .510 caliber.

For years on top of years my favorite scope, because of its size, eye relief, and its large field of view at very close range was the Leupold Vari X and later VX 1.5 X5. I also worked with the lesser version 1X4 for the same reasons. But there was a major problem, reliability. I always had 3-4 of these at Leupold for repair, and 3-4 on the bench to be sent in for repair, as soon as the others returned. They were good about repairs, 2 weeks or so. I had several scopes waiting, or in repair at all times.

This was at a terrible cost in time, effort and productivity. Finally one day I unboxed a brand new VX3 1.5X5, mounted it on a 50 B&M, and on the third shot fired it exploded inside right before my eyes. Crap on this, enough is enough...... time to look elsewhere.

It was, and even more so now, difficult to find a scope that meets all the parameters I had set. I do not care and will not use a 30 mm scope on my guns, the damned things are bigger than my rifles. No thanks. Size....... Eye Relief........ and most important "Field of View" at very close, 10 yards and in. At this time Trijicon made a 1X4 1" scope, Weaver made a little 1X3, and Nikon made a 1X4, all of these fit the size, Eye Relief and Field of View requirements I had. So I got one each to try. The Weaver scope was great for size, but lacked some quality features in my opinion. The Trijicon was great, it had the German Crosshairs, and other requirements, but damn it was fairly expensive, and I needed between 12-15 of them if not more...... At first I did not really care so much for the Nikon, had large adjustment knobs........ But it was clear, eye relief was great, and Field of View was great, overall it appeared better than the Leupold on those counts..... I put it on a 500 MDM heavy recoiling rifle, and went to work......

After several 100 rounds the Nikon was good to go, I bought a few more........ and this trend continued, I bought a few more......... Today I have 20+ of those Nikon 1X4 Scopes, many on rifles, some on standby. A few years ago Nikon went WOKE and discontinued all their rifle scopes. That was a terrible event for Big Bore shooters. You can still find them in various Ebay and Gun Broker sales, which I on occasion pick one up, spares are fine. Lost time, sending scopes for repair? After I switched to the Nikon I never sent another scope in for repair, not once. The original Nikon I bought, is still on a 500 MDM and has had 100s if not 1000s of big bore fired with it.

Yes, I have busted nearly all the very expensive Euro trash models too.......

The last 18 months I kept record of Leupolds I sent 13 different Leupold Scopes back for repairs.

Normally around 300-400 rounds of 458 Winchester a Leupold will hold, about the same on 45/70s. 458 Lott normally around 200 rounds. My .500s ..... well they are scope busting machines, as little as 3 rounds seems to bust them to pieces......... Of course on lesser recoiling rat guns one might last a long time......... Safe Queens that get fired 10 times a year they will last longer as well........... I am not sure if they are worth a crap today or not, with all the Nikons stored here I won't need to ever find out.........

As for the Trijicon, I see they do not make that 1 inch scope any longer, damn it was good, still have it. I recently bought a new 30mm Trijicon, they are still 30mm and over sized .... I put it on a 458 Lott I have and I suppose that will be home for it, its just to large to have on anything else of mine. And I will never take the Lott to the field anyway...........
The Nikon scope was the African Monarch correct?

The Nikon scope was the African Monarch correct?
Correct.......in the beginning it was the African... even had a buffalo on the side Turret cap. And the box had buffalo on it. Later it became just the Monarch...... and then they went completely WOKE and stopped all production of Rifle Scopes.

Under most "normal" circumstances, I would boycott that stupid crap....... however, there is nothing that can compare with all the attributes I require in a big bore scope, including reliability. So...........

Correct.......in the beginning it was the African... even had a buffalo on the side Turret cap. And the box had buffalo on it. Later it became just the Monarch...... and then they went completely WOKE and stopped all production of Rifle Scopes.

Under most "normal" circumstances, I would boycott that stupid crap....... however, there is nothing that can compare with all the attributes I require in a big bore scope, including reliability. So...........
Michael, interested to hear what attributes the Nikon's offers that can't be found in, let's say a Leupold VX6 1-6 x 24.

Leupold has some sort of torture device that simulates straight line recoil. Nightforce drops theirs, beats them on a rock, etc. Leupold goes for lightweight, Nightforce and Trijicon sacrifice that for extreme durability. Can’t have both.

One has to be careful being critical of Leupold’s durability and adjustment repeatability in most circles. You’ll get your head chopped off.

The only time that I have heard of a problem with Leopold's having problems returning to zero is with their CDS line. I had a good friend who was in the army and they went away from Leopold's and went to Nightforce for that very reason. Other than that he loved Leopold's.

Michael, interested to hear what attributes the Nikon's offers that can't be found in, let's say a Leupold VX6 1-6 x 24.

SIZE........30mm Tube. I personally do not care for 30mm Tubes at all..... they are large, heavy, and bulky. One really good thing about most, but not ALL, 30mm tubes they are also heavy duty and do tend to be "tougher" than the 1 inch versions.

At the time I was sending so many 1.5X5 Leupolds back for repair, JD had some contacts with Leupold and he reached out to them. At the time one of the #1 guys at Leupold called, this has been some years ago and I forget his name right now. Very very nice fellow, was truly interested in the issues I was having. After well over an hour on the phone he actually offered to replace all of my 1.5X5 VX and Vari X 3s with the 1X6 Leupolds. I explained I had 12-15 of these scopes, he understood that, and in addition the 1x6 cost at that time around $1000 to $1100 each. I told him the 1X6 was 30mm tube, large, heavy and not suitable, but I really appreciated the offer. In the end, he talked me into sending one for me to play with, and try.

Within a few days the scope arrived and just as I thought, heavy, bulky, big..... and it looked out of place on a 18 inch 50 B&M Winchester M70........ After mounting the scope and going to the range to sight in, I probably fired around a 100+ rounds, and behold, I did not bust the scope, it held up to recoil fine. But it was just too big for my tastes. So I boxed it up, told him how much I appreciated the use of and the very generous offer to replace the smaller 1.5X5s, but no thanks.

Now, consider this, because the 1.5X5 would not hold up here, Leupold offered to replace every single one of them, 12-15 scopes that cost $400 each, with the 1X6 that cost say $1100 each. I am pretty damn serious about the "attributes" I require on a DGR to turn that down. Not only that, but it just would not be right to take advantage of such.

A 30mm scope with its added bulk and weight is detrimental to my mission, which is to have a fast handling big bore rifle that will put down large dangerous game at very close range. I do not need that weight, and bulk hindering the process.

Philip my understanding was that all the Leopold scopes have the same standards for ruggedness. You just pay more for glass with the higher end versions. Am I wrong?

What's going wrong with your friends Trijicons? I actually liked the sleak design of the Accupoint compared to some of the "tacticool" stuff out there.
This is usually not the case. Once you get to a certain price point, all of the glass is of high quality. After that it is which features the scope has, then durability. Also, just because it is expensive, doesn’t mean it’s durable .

Leupold VX III 1.5-5x20, can be had for $499.99 you would go wrong with this scope.

An update. I found a good deal on a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 locally and bought it.

It is bigger than the 1-4 Leopold but it's not horrible. The fact that it does not have dialable turrents and there no illumination knob on the left helps keep it within reason.

I think I'll give it a whirl. The general sense I get from this and other forums is it might be a bit tougher and the true 1x and illuminated reticle are nice too.

If i could only buy 1 scope for the rest of my life (Nightforce being incredibly out of my price range) it would be SWFA SS models. They're not incredible well known, but they rank right up there in the 'can take anything' tests, alongside NF & Trijicon. They don't have the fancy lenses, they don't have fancy finishes but they're almost literally bullet proof. I have three of the fixed 6x42 scopes & 1 of the 1-4x24. All bottom of the range, non-HD models. They're repeatable, if you dial for range at all, & will stand a 6' drop in any direction, mounted to the rifle or not. They run about half the price of Trijicon & 1/4 the price of comparable NF models. They have brass & stainless erectors, with no plastic whatsoever. You have to go beyond Leupold's VX6 line for that.

I actually looked at the SS 1-6 but it was basically the same pice as the used Trijicon and heavier.

Funny you mentioned SWFA though. I picked up their 9.5 (!) oz 2.5-10 scope. Originally planned to put on a light 30-06. Than I learned how well respected the SWFA 3-9 is in some circles. My 30-06 now wears a SWFA 3-9.Glass would be great for counting points on a moose. It's a bit heavier than I'd prefer but there are really no other compromises in the rig. It should kill anything I can hit at any ethical range. My guess is it will go on pretty much any serious hunt that is not for grizzly bears.

That little 2.5-10 will probably go on my 308 but it might go my .358 for a dialable brush gun. Either will be a backup gun.

Hopefully the Trijicon is as bomb proof as they say. And hopefully I won't have to test the illuminated reticle on an inbound grizzly.

Last edited:
Never seen a broken SWFA 6x MQ, or a SWFA 1-6 HD.

Might happen, but I haven't seen it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseannVal

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt