Thoughts on the use of a Pederzoli Kodiak .50 sxs muzzle loader : 370gn Maxi-balls for plains game hunting?

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Members, I developed a great affection for shooting my .50 Pederzoli Kodiak express sxs . Any opinions in regards to the best bullet /weight to use when doing plains game hunting? I believe walk/stalk hunting out to 80 meters will be the norm.
Species will include warthog, impala, kudu, blue wildebeest .

I have used the same rifle in .54 caliber to take dikdik, warthog, kudu, and eland.

The best regulating load in that particular rifle was 100 grains of FFg with a 460 grain Hornady Great Plains flat nose. Both barrels would print 4 inches apart at 100 yards which is my self imposed limit with a muzzleloader. This was done when there were several companies producing full bore lead conical bullets. I tried every combination that I could find and even though I would have preferred a heavier powder charge this was by far the most accurate.

With a full bore conical a soft alloy or pure lead is the only material that a bullet can be made of and still be able to push it from the muzzle. Weight retention and expansion will be very good usually at the sacrifice of penetration. The combination of 100 grains of FFg and that 460 grain bullet was found in the middle of the heart of an eland shot at a range of 50 yards. We had a dead eland but not enough penetration IMHO. I have not taken a wildebeest with a muzzleloader but my instinct would be to go for a double lung and avoid the shoulder.

I have used a 300 gr. hard cast .50 caliber bullet in a .54 caliber sabot on top of a 130 grains of FFg and can tell you that combo out penetrates by a significant margin the heavier soft lead conical bullets. (Springbok, Gemsbok, and Mountain Zebra)

If using a traditional conical or maxi-ball in a double rifle the heaviest bullet and powder charge that gives satisfactory regulation is the way to go. The max charge rating of the manufacturer and rate of twist are the limiting factors.

If I can find them I will post pics of some of the conicals I have recovered from animals over the years.

Last edited:
I have used the same rifle in .54 caliber to take dikdik, warthog, kudu, and eland.

The best regulating load in that particular rifle was 100 grains of FFg with a 460 grain Hornady Great Plains flat nose. Both barrels would print 4 inches apart at 100 yards which is my self imposed limit with a muzzleloader. This was done when there were several companies producing full bore lead conical bullets. I tried every combination that I could find and even though I would have preferred a heavier powder charge this was by far the most accurate.

With a full bore conical a soft alloy or pure lead is the only material that a bullet can be made of and still be able to push it from the muzzle. Weight retention and expansion will be very good usually at the sacrifice of penetration. The combination of 100 grains of FFg and that 460 grain bullet was found in the middle of the heart of an eland shot at a range of 50 yards. We had a dead eland but not enough penetration IMHO. I have not taken a wildebeest with a muzzleloader but my instinct would be to go for a double lung and avoid the shoulder.

I have used a 300 gr. hard cast .50 caliber bullet in a .54 caliber sabot on top of a 130 grains of FFg and can tell you that combo out penetrates by a significant margin the heavier soft lead conical bullets.

If using a traditional conical or maxi-ball in a double rifle the heaviest bullet and powder charge that gives satisfactory regulation is the way to go. The max charge rating of the manufacturer and rate of twist are the limiting factors.

If I can find them I will post pics of some of the conicals I have recovered from animals over the years.
Dirtdart, thank you for the information, it is much appreciated. I did read about the these heavy cast bullets 460gn and even up to 600gn cast bullets over 90gn of black powder that gives good accuracy in the .50 SXS Kodiak express double ...Shops here in South Africa sells the maxi ball 320gn cast bullets and the casting mold as well..I think I need to search for a heavier cast bullet in the .50 caliber .Lee Double Cavity Combo Mold produces one 50 Cal. diameter 320 grain R.E.A.L bullet and one .490 diameter round Ball I think this to be too light

Last edited:
I would first start with talking to your outfitter and see just what black powder or black powder substitute that they can source and then try to replicate your best loads with the type of powder that they can find.

Other than that it should work great. I have taken a number of North American animals with both my .50 caliber and 54 caliber muzzle loaders. My favorite is the .54 and 430 grain maxi balls that I cast myself. They blow chunks out of mule deer and leave a pretty good hole in elk. In my .50 caliber I will shoot 300 grain Thor copper bullets and have had a number of complete pass through s on elk.

Here is one of the recovered bullet from a 6x6 bull elk that I shot at 120 yards along with what the bullet looked like.

Fzf6YrW.jpg

oMYjOkX.jpg

This one was recovered on the far side of the hide. It took out a rib on both sides or it quite possible would of exited.

I am fortunate to visit game farms here in South Africa and hunt with a farm hand , we do not need outfitters or PH to hunt since we are citizens of SA. I am buying ZAR home made black powder from my friend Johan Greyling , he makes a great quality black powder , so I have access to unlimited source of high quality black powder.
I will now be sourcing a heavy cast bullet in .50 cal to shoot and work up a load that is accurate at 120 yards.

Dirtdart, thank you for the information, it is much appreciated. I did read about the these heavy cast bullets 460gn and even up to 600gn cast bullets over 90gn of black powder that gives good accuracy in the .50 SXS Kodiak express double ...Shops here in South Africa sells the maxi ball 320gn cast bullets and the casting mold as well..I think I need to search for a heavier cast bullet in the .50 caliber .Lee Double Cavity Combo Mold produces one 50 Cal. diameter 320 grain R.E.A.L bullet and one .490 diameter round Ball I think this to be too light
I have worked with numerous side locks with a 1 in 48 inch twist rate which is what my Kodiak was. That twist is a compromise at best. It can be fairly accurate with a roundball at low charges/velocity which is a severe handicap for taking game. I found that the longer conicals needed heavy charges to shoot their best.

With a twist of 1 in 66 or slower you can push a hard cast patched ball as fast as the barrel will stand and that does change the equation a bit.

I LOVE my Rem XML 26" 700 bolt action for primed case ignition and 150-200 gr powder. Found it quite by accident N.O.S. at the Kittery, ME Trading Post while on vaca. Super accurate and powerful (nearly 375 HH powerful. Heavy recoil but manageable. They say it's a 500 yd gun, but I'm comfortable out to 400 as the scope is calibrated to same.) 'Would love to hunt Africa with it. 'Considered putting the components together inside brass cases. Might not be violating any laws, as they're assembled and the components are for the gun. Take apart/re-assemble or relinquish remainder in camp (pay it forward for ML hunters!) Loved watching Roger Raglin on buff using a SxS percussion gun custom made for him by Knight I think. Are Pyrodex powder discs or eq. avail. in S. Africa??? Could a dealer order and you pay for 'em??

IMG_20220918_160146.jpg
45474.jpeg
IMG_20221209_160341~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to get hold of a mould to cast .50 caliber , 600 gn conical bullet to use in the .50 Pederzoli Kodiak Express in a 1:24 twist..will see how this will turn out..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelaineJ80

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me