The Quality of American Firearms...

A couple of years ago a week before deer season I was at a range outside Ottawa. While we were shooting at the benches a guy pulls up takes his 94 out of the case and opens the breech, out pops a live round that had likely been there for a year. The RSO justifiably had a cow and threw the buffoon off the range. He is very lucky there wasn't a cop or CO there because he could have lost his license. As scary as that sounds the guys who show up at the range once a year and are happy to hit the dirt in front of the 50 yd target are better than those who don't. I'm with you, I shoot at the military range and our small country club usually when I'm alone
The Brick and Mortor Gun Store I frequent On Occasion has a Jar on the counter to show all the rounds Ejected from supposedly Empty Pistols and rifles.
I once packed up all my gear one day at a gun range close to the city when 2 car loads of urbanites pulled up and started unpacking their ARs after the second barrel was pointed at me I told the young man the next time he pointed that barrel in my direction I was going to take it away from him and shove it up his Ass, I decided that a quick pack up was in order and got my gear and got away from that place as fast as I could. I never renewed my membership in that club I decided it was safer to drive the extra 40 miles

I was a certified range safety officer for a short time at a privately owned, open to the public range. On the rifle and pistol ranges, at least 50 percent of the shooters had no idea what they were doing. The majority of that 50 percent had ARs, but had no training whatsoever and were a danger to everyone there. I realize everyone has to learn, but they should be in some type of training course to learn how to operate and shoot their particular weapon, before mixing it up with others on a public range. ???

** Disclaimer - I work in the Firearms/Hunting Industry **

#2) Why do so many Americans prefer to buy the standard American made hunting rifle

My opinion is that they work quite well.

This thread obviously was started with the intent to bash the large U.S. firearms manufacturers and to insult everyone that owns their products.

It is a poor workman that blames his tools.

This thread obviously was started with the intent to bash the large U.S. firearms manufacturers and to insult everyone that owns their products.

It seems to be more than that (seems to be an open promotion for one particular brand of firearm (Steyr), which causes one to wonder as to the motivation).

Since I was able to own firearms I have always coveted owning a Steyr. The entry price was a bit steep for a salaried guy like me. After I add up all I have spent on firearms over the years I could have own'd quite a few steyrs by now. I guess trying new rifles and selling and trading is part of the sport.

Over the last 30-40 years American manufacture standards have gone through a few changes. (Usually with change of owners and new technology coming on line). Barrels have gotten better. Actions improve and get worse. There are a lot more entry level factory rifles capable of consistant accuracy now than ever before.

Would still love a Steyr though.

Accuracy has, in general, improved while overall quality has been hit and miss. There are wonderful deals, good value for money, but there are also some truly atrocious offerings.

If you want quality at an affordable level you're going to need patience, as you scour the used market. I once bought a STUNNING rifle for $440 (a M98 by G.L. Rasch...wonderfully engraved, fitted, stocked, and well-appointed), and while this may be an exception, there are marvelous rifles out there, produced prior to modern-day economic constraints, for the one willing to work to find them.

For me personally a better question would be, why would I want to spend a lot more money for a fancy rifle, when my domestic made ones shoot as well and sometimes better then I can?
My son and I have a couple of gun safes full of fine rifles, a few Rems., a few Wins., a couple of Marlins and a couple dozen Rugers. And you know what? We've never been let down by any of them. So my question has to why spend more?

It seems to be more than that (seems to be an open promotion for one particular brand of firearm (Steyr), which causes one to wonder as to the motivation).

that is my take as well. one would think he sells Steyr

We are too soon old and too late smart....

I've owned several "mass production" including two 700 BDL Remingtons. All were "just OK".

Early on, I just kept trying different factory loads hoping to get to that sub 1 inch group. None of them made it, but a couple got close.

Later, I taught myself how to glass bed, barrel float, upgrade triggers and the 2 dozen other technologies for improving accuracy. This was coupled with hand loading and learning how to make very consistent loads and to vary load elements (e.g. seating depth) to tune cartridges to a rifle. This mostly worked, but was expensive. One rifle (a 700 BDL in .22-250), had about $4000 stuck in it before it became super consistent.

It's only been in the last 6 or 7 years that I've taken the plunge into building my own rifles. If only I had known then what I know now.

It's not that every rifle I build will shoot an interlocking group on the first try, but more like being half-way to the objective at barrel break in instead of starting at square one.

If I had to do it all over again (and I'd like to), I'd spend the money on a custom-built rifle while learning how to build them myself. In the long run.

We are too soon old and too late smart....

I've owned several "mass production" including two 700 BDL Remingtons. All were "just OK".

Early on, I just kept trying different factory loads hoping to get to that sub 1 inch group. None of them made it, but a couple got close.

Later, I taught myself how to glass bed, barrel float, upgrade triggers and the 2 dozen other technologies for improving accuracy. This was coupled with hand loading and learning how to make very consistent loads and to vary load elements (e.g. seating depth) to tune cartridges to a rifle. This mostly worked, but was expensive. One rifle (a 700 BDL in .22-250), had about $4000 stuck in it before it became super consistent.

It's only been in the last 6 or 7 years that I've taken the plunge into building my own rifles. If only I had known then what I know now.

It's not that every rifle I build will shoot an interlocking group on the first try, but more like being half-way to the objective at barrel break in instead of starting at square one.

If I had to do it all over again (and I'd like to), I'd spend the money on a custom-built rifle while learning how to build them myself. In the long run.

load development and tinkering is part of the fun

Heres a nasty cheap Ass Savage, why would anybody own junk like this, group at 200meters, note the Crap Nikon Scope Also

P1010027.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The beauty of the USA is in its egalitarianism. Someone is always prepared to find a way to bring products of reasonable quality to the greatest number of people. A lot of Europeans don't get this and never will. They cannot understand the value in finding a useful compromise between quality and availability. The Remington recall story is a red herring to this discussion.

My two cents. When I was a kid that's all anyone had was Wins, Rems, and Rugers. My dad had the "cheap" foreign gun, a Husquvana. With a little age, I found out that those foreign guns are nice and not everyone has one. Fast forward 30 years. My friend who swears by Remington 700 BDL, of course he adds a Jewel trigger, beds the gun, etc. Me, I just buy a SAKO and I don't have to due anything except shoot it right out of the box.

Here is what my 13 year old son did yesterday with a POS American made Ruger in 6.5 Creedmore with a POS Leupold LR 6.5x20 and hand loaded by an American on an American press.
No mods to the rifle, shot was at 504 yards dialed for 485 for incline. Couldn't get any closer, boy laid behind the rifle waiting for him to stand up for 2 hours and 10 minutes. I was pretty proud of him. One shot through the top on the heart, recovered the bullet on far shoulder under the skin.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyGsn62

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa