The 22 Hornet: Uses: Your Choices in ammo, on animals, results

Me and @jnotzon have been getting his grandpas (RIP to a great man and legend) little Ruger 77 .22 hornet dialed in.

It now wears a gloss 4x Zeiss Diavari which we both think is perfect . We are still looking for its most accurate factory load.

I’m am very lucky he will be letting me use it as we both are going for a Damara Dik Dik in May together on our Namibia safari with @KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS

aac55647-09fc-4bea-bdc2-bea735083b27.jpeg
IMG_1726.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and @jnotzon have been getting his grandpas (RIP to a great man and legend) little Ruger 77 .22 hornet dialed in.

It now wears a gloss 4x Zeiss Diavari which we both think is perfect . We are still looking for its most accurate factory load.

I’m am very lucky he will be letting me use it as we both are going for a Damara Dik Dik in May together on our Namibia safari with @KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS
Actually has an old Zeiss Diatal-C 4x marked West Germany… incredibly bright scope. Have shot Winchester Super X out of it and it’s right at an inch at 50 yards. Need to test some other ammo as @dchum mentioned and stretch its legs out to 100 yards.

Are you guys reloaders? If so I am sure you can tighten up that group and you have time. I have that exact rifle and get decent groups at 100 with it.

Are you guys reloaders? If so I am sure you can tighten up that group and you have time. I have that exact rifle and get decent groups at 100 with it.
No neither of us are. We’ve only tried just Winchester super X

I’m sure we will try some different more quality ammo and get it sorted a little better.

Fingers crossed - but even right now I think it would get it done if needed haha.

Found this video on YouTube. It's comparing the 17 to the 22 Hornet note the last shot is the 22 Hornet, 45 grain. Yaoza.

Last edited:
I use my Hornet for fox on a Farm that I hunt. I use the 35gr vmax with lil gun . Shots were never more than 125 yds .
I don't like them very much.
It's as loud as a normal cartridge and it's half an in-ear-operation to reload it:oops:, and I've never been convinced by its effectiveness.
We don't have prairie dogs and if you shoot a badger or a fox in a stubble field, you reach the limits of this cartridge at anything over 90-100m
If you don't have a sharp, track-safe dog with you, the animal is lost.
I love my .223 for that and I feel safe.
1721720557690.png

Last edited:
My first centre fire rifle that I bought as a poor Engineering student was a CBC 151 in 22 Hornet. I put a 6X Weaver steel tube scope on it. Used it for many years and it is still in the back of the gun safe.
Later on I started small bore competition and I bought a BSA 12/15 Martini actioned rifle. When I bought my Anschutz 1815 I had the BSA 12/15 converted into 22 Hornet as I really love this tiny little cartridge.
I have always reloaded, and a favourite load was/is 11.5gr of W296 with the Sierra 40gr hornet bullet. The only weakness with the hornet is the brass flow into the neck. You have to keep them trimmed but if you are not carefull the base will separate. From experience the easiest way to remove the top of the cartridge stuck in the chamber is to just nip up a 3/8 UNC tap into the stuck case from the breach and pull it out.
The K-Hornet significantly overcomes the case stretching problems.
My uncle had an early model Brno (CZ) in 22Hornet, that is a beatiful tiny Mauser action.

It is very popular as an insertion tube for combo and drillings . In Sweden the wardens had for many years , I think they still do have the dispensation to use it for dispatch of traffic injured game in urban areas . And it worked very well for them there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TameraDuhi

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's