The 22 Hornet: Uses: Your Choices in ammo, on animals, results.

A welder here in Dallas must have had over a hundred tiny little whitetail deer racks nailed up in his shop. He said he shot them all with a 22 Hornet in Llano, TX where the deer run abnormally small. An uncle sometimes uses one for deer on his own property, but he is an exceptional shot. I'm pretty sure both were picking their shots, but it is proven on deer in capable hands. The question is, are African game of the same size too tough for the Hornet. Let us know! And let us know the truth if the truth is it is a poor choice for Africa...

all modern hornets are/use 224 diameter. You'd have to get a 1950s gun or older to get a 223 bore.I use 35 gr VMAX factory ammo in a K-hornet ( fireforms well, excellent accuracy) and 52 gr bergers and TSX 45 gr in reloads. W296 is H110. I like Little gun and AA1680 best. AS I have a 222 as well I use the hornet only for Varmints.
Coyote/wolf up I use a 243.

According to the .223 and 5.56 reload data I have in 4 different reloading manuals both calibers use a longer than 22 Hornet .224 diameter bullets.

W296 and H110 are 2 different powders, but ranked ~evenly.

Lyman manual

H110 ranked #50
W296 ranked #51

Hornady Manual

W296 ranked #50
H110 ranked #51

I have tested both powders in my 44 mag. revolvers with 240 grain bullets. Much prefer the H110 over W296. Using the 260 grain Leighigh bullets I prefer the W296 over H110 in my BFR.

So I don't have a chronograph so I can't give you those numbers.

But my best load was 11grns of H110 with a Speer 40grn SP Varmint projectile. Seated at 1.73 in my gun. 1.49 on a CBOG.

I was also playing with some Lil Gun loads around the 13grn mark but I don't remember them really giving me the accuracy I was happy with.

Thanks for the information

Is the 11gr H110 loads compressed loads?

I loaded some test loads at 9.3 grains H110 using Sierra 45 grain FB HP. There didn't seem to be much space for 1.8 more grains. C.O.A.L being 1.723 inches in accordance to the Hornady and Sierra manuals.

Actually had to do some research.
I'm considering converting my 22 Hornet to 22 K for increase in brass life and velocity.
I'm thinking of it for the claimed increased accuracy. I have to experiment with various loads but so far the grouping is not as tight as I would like for these small critters.

What I understand is the K version spaces the cartridge in the chamber off the shoulder vs. the rim on the regular Hornet.

Any additional input regarding this from the many experienced hand loaders and ballistics experts?

A welder here in Dallas must have had over a hundred tiny little whitetail deer racks nailed up in his shop. He said he shot them all with a 22 Hornet in Llano, TX where the deer run abnormally small. An uncle sometimes uses one for deer on his own property, but he is an exceptional shot. I'm pretty sure both were picking their shots, but it is proven on deer in capable hands. The question is, are African game of the same size too tough for the Hornet. Let us know! And let us know the truth if the truth is it is a poor choice for Africa...
I think it is an excellent choice, in the right circumstances.

As I was researching this caliber there were several mentions of the 22 Hornet being a good deer caliber.

Having witnessed the poor results of a .223/5.56 round on a deer makes me even more hesitant to recommend using any caliber less than .243 on deer size game.

The shot was at 40 yards on a moving away deer. The bullet ran up the deer's spine from the front of the hindquarters stopping at the base of the neck. The bullet had zero, I do mean zero effect on the deer. We actually thought it was a missed shot. We are hunting an island about 300 yards long at max width maybe 70 yards. We chased that deer twice around the island before his buddy dropped the deer with a moving brain shot at maybe 25 - 30 yards. It wasn't till we got back to my buddy's house and processing the deer that the 223/5.56 bullet was found.

I also have knowledge of a properly placed 223/5.56 bullet in deer's vitals has both dropped deer in their tracks and deer have ran over 200 yards before collapsing.

And back to the discussion: Yes. A .22 LR can kill deer but there are better calibers.

Now back to discussing the 22 Hornet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XFRSylvia7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg