SOUTH AFRICA: MOZAMBIQUE: Off To Southern Africa With KMG & TMS & PPS

Rug and a skull.

Can't afford to build the bigger house to house a host of full mounts. :)

Bigger house vs. More hunts.......easy choice.;)

Congrats on the caracal! I have tried in 3 trips and have not seen one. Next time, I'm paying for dogs.

Congrats on the caracal! I have tried in 3 trips and have not seen one. Next time, I'm paying for dogs.

Nothing like an expert on four legs to help get the job done.

Instructions for mounting those Geese have started to be conveyed.
Posed like this

goose mount.jpg

The cliffs that will serve as a source for the base.

IMG_4104.jpeg

One more Eastern Cape Specialty managed to find its way onto the agenda.

Oribi.

My first viewing of Oribi they were sedate and stood for me to get pictures well within rifle range and I did not think they would be that much trouble to hunt. In fact I wanted to go after one with the bow.

I soon found that they are not quite so sedate when you are actually hunting them.
They are just flat land Vaalies. They use their eye sight and distance to control predators, us included.

After they decide to leave, this is what you get to see.
oribi bolting.jpeg

oribi gallop.jpeg

A very pretty antelope.

We surveyed a pretty large property trying to find "the Oribi"

We got to run into some other wildlife. A Mongoose that I had never seen before. I think it was a Yellow one. (correct me if I am wrong)

mongoose.jpeg

As part of the survey of the countryside we ran into this herd that did not allow a very close approach. So this was the best picture I could get.

You'll note the very large herd of domestic giant Oribi in the background.

I was told Oribi do not like the trees and prefer open ground to cover. I had significant evidence to the contrary during this hunt. This herd was more than willing to use escape cover when required. I also saw multiple Oribi hiding in the thick stuff, laying down trying to stay hidden.

oribi herd.jpeg

In case you can not see him. There is a pretty decent ram in this photo. Too many girls behind him to take a shot. Also, there was apparently a larger ram running around that we had not found yet during this little survey.

oribi herd close up.jpg

Eventually we found him. Do you see a lot of difference between this one and the one above? Not a lot.

This is how a "REAL" Oribi hides. None of that bush crap. Just keep themselves low in the short grass and wait for you to walk by. All the while keeping a very sharp look out.
oribi hiding.jpeg

I crawled within 100 yards of this guy and we had the helper walk around straight up wind of him.
"The plan" was that he would give you a moment to shoot when he stood up.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This fellow did not get this big by standing around watching people shoot at him.

When he left, he left from his bed running. He never stood, he RAN!
The scope was on him the entire time and he left the scope behind that little tuft of grass and I waited for a shot opportunity? What shot opportunity!

Ok, this was not going to be a cake walk after all.

Up and over the hill the walking started in earnest. Finally a head is spotted at 600 yards.
"The next plan": We'll walk at an angle and trick him into thinking we are walking past him.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apparently he had lived through those tricks as well.

Gone at 300 yards without hesitation.

His New plan. He picked up more help in his escape. Now there were five sets of ewes eyes with him. Damn, even more help. Oh well.

The "New plan": Crawling.

See a lot of places to hide in this photo???
belly crawl across this.jpeg

I crawled on hands and knees and belly for the entire distance of this photo. Note the trees in the far left of the photo.

Multiple times (I lost count) we pushed our faces into the grass and waited while the most vigilant ewe got up to see what we were up to and then we waited five to ten minutes for her to lay down again.
This occurred every thirty yards over the entire distance.

What specialty techno gadget do you think would be kind of useful on this type of hunt?
Do you think a range finder would be an excellent tool? I did. That's why I bought one.
This is what they look like. I want to remind myself for the next time.

Unknown.jpeg

It was very warm and comfy in the bakkie in my camera case. :mad:#$%^&*()
Dumb ass!

Another plan.
Crawl closer and closer until we had minimal doubt about the distance.

Finally, when were certainly under two hundred yards I got ready. Settled the bipod in the clear and was going to wait until he stood.

As luck would have it. That old ewe was not interested in allowing us this close anymore.
She got up and started walking away. You guessed it, the rest got up and started after her.
Two of the herd did a short dash which set my heart going. They all calmed down and started walking again.
I had to shift my position to get the rifle pointed in the proper direction.
They had covered 90 yards but had remained within the two hundred yard range. Thankfully.

I was following him in the scope and waiting for the instant he stood still. No moving shot was going to be taken. No how, now way.

He stopped and I revisited the estimated distance and drop in my mind as I "set" the trigger and then let the 375 H&H go.
The little antelope bolted.
I herd the hit, even though the wind was blowing from behind us.
He ran in an arc away from us and disappeared.
For a moment I was wondering about the shot, but that quickly passed as I reviewed the sight picture in my mind.

We walked slowly up and found a huge arc of blood and he was within twenty yards in some slightly higher grass.

Perfect heart shot. Congratulations were had all round.
These little guys are not that deep chested and with the trajectory of the bullet and where I had it sighted in (300 yards), you could easily screw up. Thankfully, I did not.

Really thick old monster with worn down tips. I held the ears up for comparison.

oribi ears.jpeg

A better perscpective

oribi horns.jpeg

For the statisticians: he measured out at 6.5 inches. Well into Rowland Ward. Another incredible specialty trophy to take home and admire.

I am unbelievably fortunate to have hunted these magnificent animals. Without the incredible conservation efforts of some local hunters and farmers these little antelope would be long gone.
Without hunters paying the way there would be no incentive to manage these properties for the Oribi's benefit either.

If you get a chance to hunt these little guys you are helping in their conservation. Just do it.

This was the last animal I am reporting on that was taken on this trip.
I hunted from 180 feet above sea level to 9000 feet above sea level.
Covering the map between 33 45 degrees south TO 13 16 degrees South
(So bizarre to see the Lat Long numbers gets smaller as you go north)

Covered nearly 6000 Km on the ground driving.
I got to see some incredible countryside and biomes with such diversity it leaves you breathless.

Hunted with some very skilled people who knew there stuff. I got a host of incredible trophies and count myself very fortunate.

If anyone wants to ask me about any part of this hunt PM me.:A Callme:

As always, I enjoyed sharing the adventure and hope you enjoyed the read.
Until, the next adventure. :A Outta:

Last edited:
Well done Wayne! As you say, these aren't easy animals to take once you're actually hunting for them. And he's a beauty.

You have gone way past making me jealous; breathed a huge sigh of relief when I read this was the last animal taken on this trip . . . then noticed you said this was the "last animal you are reporting on that was taken on this trip" . . . so what are you hiding?

Fess up!

Thanks Hank.

Honest, that's it.

The last time someone started a sentence with "honest, that's it . . . " it really wasn't!

I'm hoping you still have one or two hidden away somewhere . . .:A Big Hello:

well if that's it , that's it then .....
great adventure , big fella .
thanks for showing it to us all
and a plenty good way of capping it off , with that cracker oribi
thanks again , bricko

If I start writing about more trophies now it would be a complete fabrication and I'd have to start stealing other folks pictures to fill it in.

Egyptian geese are beautiful. When you get them done, please post photos.

When you used the "set" trigger on the Oribi, I presume you were using the CZ. The set trigger feature wasn't something I was interested in when I bought a CZ, but I love it now. On delicate long shots it is a sweet feature.

The Oribi is beautiful and a monster. Congratulations.

Thanks for sharing your photos and memories. They are special and appreciated.(y)

When you used the "set" trigger on the Oribi, I presume you were using the CZ. The set trigger feature wasn't something I was interested in when I bought a CZ, but I love it now. On delicate long shots it is a sweet feature...............................

It was the CZ.
I love that set trigger. It insures you can not yank the trigger. Touch it and it goes.

Egyptian geese are beautiful. When you get them done, please post photos. ..............

Will do.
They are gorgeous birds and totally annoying. Something I always want to remember about them. They have present at almost every place I have hunted.
From the cliffs in the high peaks of the Drakensburg all the way to the key side on the Ocean beside Cape Town.

WOOHOO!!!!

LOVE that Oribi!!!

And no, they aren't an easy hunt. I also love the little run, run, jump gait of theirs. I enjoyed watching Oribi run more than any other antelope I saw. And those cattle fences don't slow them down one bit, with that jump they don't even break stride to go through one.

And that guy is an absolute monster. If I recall correctly RW is 4.5 inches? Mine just missed short.

WOOHOO!!!!

LOVE that Oribi!!!

And no, they aren't an easy hunt. I also love the little run, run, jump gait of theirs. I enjoyed watching Oribi run more than any other antelope I saw. And those cattle fences don't slow them down one bit, with that jump they don't even break stride to go through one.

And that guy is an absolute monster. If I recall correctly RW is 4.5 inches? Mine just missed short.

Thanks Royal. They are incredible antelope.

FYI, Rowland minimum is currently 5.

Thanks Royal. They are incredible antelope.

FYI, Rowland minimum is currently 5.

Gladly!

And you're right. Not the first time my memory has failed me lately... Mine was something just over 4.5 I think, but regardless still just short of RW.

Gladly!

And you're right. Not the first time my memory has failed me lately... Mine was something just over 4.5 I think, but regardless still just short of RW.

Just stats man. You got a good trophy and obviously a good hunt.

Oh, not complaining at all. I'm thrilled with what I got!!!! I wouldn't even know the length if the PH hadn't measured because he was curious. Really just pointing out what an absolute brute yours is!

The Oribi will be the center piece of my five "little guys" pedestal mount, which is coming along nicely I might add. :)

The Oribi will be the center piece of my five "little guys" pedestal mount, which is coming along nicely I might add. :)

Look forward to seeing it.

What a time you had. Makes me wish I was tagging along on the hunt with you..... In a way we all did with the fine tale that you have written for us. I greatly appreciate it. That Oribi is a fine animal to end a hunt on. He is a real stud and they did a great job of getting you a first class trophy. Well done all around. Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ee88horse

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt