SOUTH AFRICA: MOZAMBIQUE: Off To Southern Africa With KMG & TMS & PPS

Fine bushbuck. Congrats. Great job on making the planned interception. Bruce

That's what happens when you have a great PH that knows the property. It also helped I had been running around in that cover all week.

and, Thanks..

Congrats on a beautiful Rowland Ward bushbuck!

R.

Red Sky in the morning Sailor take warning! Right.

sun rise on the ocean.jpeg

That night you had best have taken some warning. the wind blew like it had not blown before.
Otherwise the day was cool and clear.

Some of my photos have not been recovered as yet. Maybe one of these days.
Until then.

This is the only picture I managed to find of the Bushpig.

He was a Monster and the 375 managed to take him down with one shot. Apparently head shots are quite fatal.

Think of sitting in the dark watching the Lightening over the western sky flashing constantly for three hours and then you hear a snuffling. Slowly the light comes up.
They look tiny and out of place.
Finally you get some perspective as the light comes up higher.
You converse about which one is the bigger Boar....

Then you take aim and have already decided before the shot that the trophy is going to be this big teeth so a head shot is the choice.
Bang, done.

bushpig skull.jpeg

Onto more palatable items

flower 2.jpeg

It is always a wonder to me to see Butterflies in the Winter time.

buttergly.jpeg

flower.jpeg

This is for Royal.

You can see Blue Duiker moving much more slowly if you are sitting quietly in the Forest.. :)

This little lady came sneaking in through the very thick cover.
duiker sneakingin.jpeg

I had the big white gun on silent shutter mode. That really dose not matter under 6 yards. She saw something move and was locked on me like super glue.

Duiker watching us.jpeg

This is at about 5 yards. She caught our scent. We did not move at all and then she slowly sauntered away.

duiker smelling us.jpeg

What an experience to witness one of these little guys so close and to get some great pictures.

Attachments

• flower.jpeg
    flower.jpeg
    972.1 KB · Views: 117
Red Sky in the morning Sailor take warning! Right.

View attachment 48113

That night you had best have taken some warning. the wind blew like it had not blown before.
Otherwise the day was cool and clear.

Some of my photos have not been recovered as yet. Maybe one of these days.
Until then.

This is the only picture I managed to find of the Bushpig.

He was a Monster and the 375 managed to take him down with one shot. Apparently head shots are quite fatal.

Think of sitting in the dark watching the Lightening over the western sky flashing constantly for three hours and then you hear a snuffling. Slowly the light comes up.
They look tiny and out of place.
Finally you get some perspective as the light comes up higher.
You converse about which one is the bigger Boar....

Then you take aim and have already decided before the shot that the trophy is going to be this big teeth so a head shot is the choice.
Bang, done.

View attachment 48114

Onto more palatable items

View attachment 48115

It is always a wonder to me to see Butterflies in the Winter time.

View attachment 48116

View attachment 48118

This is for Royal.

You can see Blue Duiker moving much more slowly if you are sitting quietly in the Forest.. :)

This little lady came sneaking in through the very thick cover.
View attachment 48119

I had the big white gun on silent shutter mode. That really dose not matter under 6 yards. She saw something move and was locked on me like super glue.

View attachment 48121

This is at about 5 yards. She caught our scent. We did not move at all and then she slowly sauntered away.

View attachment 48120

What an experience to witness one of these little guys so close and to get some great pictures.

So that's what they look like!!!!!! :E Shocked::E Puppy Dog Eyes::E Scared:

Standing still.... at six yards.... awesome....:E Oh Yeah:

Fantastic pics Wayne. Thanks for thinking of me. :)

Love the Blue Duiker pictures, just fantastic!

I decided to hunt these little guys with a Bow.
I have no issues with shotgunning them, but I wanted a Rowland Ward trophy or nothing and wanted the TIME to tell what I was shooting at and to decide if it were big enough.

It turned out that I had a decent amount of time but not ages.

Sitting quietly was not an issue.
Making sure I could draw the bow properly int he allotted space, that was another thing.
I got it worked out but it took some gymnastics to get the operation down I'll tell you.

Drawing quietly with a very watchful animal only 19 yards away was a feat.

However, after one day of sitting I got it down. I was very fortunate.

For comparison.
Duiker bow size compare.jpeg

BOW BOSS.jpeg

duiker bow.jpeg

duiker close up.jpeg

Somehow the Bakkie was not quite as full as when the Buffalo was loaded. :)

full bakkie.jpeg

uiker hoof.jpeg

Bejeweled Skull

duiker salt.jpeg

Rowland and a little to spare . :A Banana:

duiker measure.jpeg

These a very special little animals and if you have a chance to hunt them you should take it.
I was very fortunate and got an excellent trophy and a ton of pictures to spare of other little critters that came in as well.

An incredible hunt.

Just awesome.....everything......I dont need more books since I have you here Wayne........!!!!!!

Thank you soo much....!!!!

Just a side note.

One of these mornings I stopped at Beavers Pies and the petrol station and noticed a pair of SAPS officers grabbing some breakfast and seemed to be in a hurry. I think these are the first Caucasian officers I have ever met in my time in RSA. Note worthy for this reason, at least to me.
I asked what the rush was about and got a mumbled answer.

As we headed west along the highway it became apparent that something bad had happened. There was a police road block. No big deal to me.

We were asked how far we were going and were then told that the road was blocked further up and you could not get to PE.
So, it was really a long way from where we were going to be.
Nothing more explained than you can not get through there is some kind of protest.

Being the curious little fellow I am I had to research this one on the net when I got back later that night.

I found this:

Kenton Blockade.jpg

Apparently the folks in Kenton were not happy that the housing they were promised by some government headed by some fella named Mandela a few years back was not proceeding as promised.

Instead of protesting the local Housing Council office and chatting with them these folks decided to block the entire highway with burning tires.

Never made the news at home. Only got a small mention on the net and I had to look hard to find it.

At no time was I uncomfortable or in danger in any manner. Just some frustrated folks protesting against a government not acting on its promises.

No one else in the world can relate to that can you???

Last edited:
So that's what they look like!!!!!! :E Shocked::E Puppy Dog Eyes::E Scared:

Buddy I also got your view once in the morning. A little streak that went by in the thick stuff so fast I barely recognized it was an animal. Damn, they are fast.

Buddy I also got your view once in the morning. A little streak that went by in the thick stuff so fast I barely recognized it was an animal. Damn, they are fast.

They really are fast. Next time I will likely be doimg the sitting thing (like the idea of being able to actually judge one), or I will have done a LOT of shotgun practice with "rabbit" clay birds. Even then though, I'm not sure that simulation will help a ton.

I definitely want another crack at one of those little suckers.

Last edited:
I think standing close to the rabbit station would be a very good idea.

Open those chokes right up and SWWWWIIIIIIINNNNNGGGG!

Here is one that had me laughing as I drove around RSA occasionally exceeding the speed limits. :rolleyes:

11960110_10153232864468650_8862031067972355245_n.jpg

Congrats Wayne! He's a great bushbuck! Well done!

Damn, I think I'm even more impressed with your blue duiker kill, than any other animal.

First, it seems you got my bush pig. Still, I'm big enough to say Congratulations. I've only tried three hunts.

Second, pictures of the blue duiker are fabulous and I assume rare - I've never seen this close (except at full speed . . .) To get that close would be a very special treat.

Well done!

Damn, I think I'm even more impressed with your blue duiker kill, than any other animal.

It is a special little critter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Estelle38R

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt