SOUTH AFRICA: Kuche Safaris - Free State - August 2024

Great post and final price breakdown summary. Glad you ended up posting your review.

Curious why you probably wouldn’t hunt on your next trip to Africa.
While we had a great time and I knew what I signed up for I would all want to be on larger properties, more "wild" animals, and less of a game-farm style hunt. Honestly, I don't think I could afford the type of hunt I would want from a return trip.

If you add in the exorbitant costs of getting stuff sent home the decision gets more clear.

I'm not 100% against it if the right situation or opportunity presented itself, but I'm not signing up to run right back for next year.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

You wrote a good report. I appreciate the honesty with some of less positive sides of the hunt. Sounds like you had a PH that worked hard for you.

While we had a great time and I knew what I signed up for I would all want to be on larger properties, more "wild" animals, and less of a game-farm style hunt. Honestly, I don't think I could afford the type of hunt I would want from a return trip.

If you add in the exorbitant costs of getting stuff sent home the decision gets more clear.

I'm not 100% against it if the right situation or opportunity presented itself, but I'm not signing up to run right back for next year.
Costs to get your trophies home have definitely got out of hand, but you might really enjoy hunting low fence ranch land in Namibia if you decide to hunt again in future. Hunting costs are very affordable and species like kudu, gemsbok, springbok, warthog are well distributed.

I was just there with family and friends.. And you hit the nail on the head.!! That was a great write up and true story of our experience as well.. if you are a first time hunter it’s going to be good. If you have hunted other places you are likely to find it just a hunt..

Just a note on shipping trophies home, I just paid my shipping invoice for a Kuche hunt.

I had 5 shoulder mounts, 4 euros, and 4 tanned hides. Crate 160x113x105cm and actual weight of 144kgs.

My air quote to Dallas was $3,689 and Sea to Houston $1,847. I took the slow route.

Don't know exactly what the port fees stateside will be, but one of the guys I hunted with already got his crate, its a little smaller than mine. His total stateside fees including freight delivery from Houston to his home in Arkansas was around $1,300.

I thought this was all pretty reasonable considering what I have been hearing lately about the cost of shipping trophies home.

I suspected that was your opinion.

In RSA you might think about Crusader Safaris for one of their free range concessions. You’ll probably increase costs 2-3x over what you spent. Your biggest cost savings was the donation. You essentially paid your daily rates to the conservation organization and got several animals for free. If you enjoyed Africa, don’t rule out a return trip to hunt the way you want even if it means you have to save for 5+ years.

There are some great free range concessions in Namibia and RSA. I’ve personally never hunted Botswana, but it’s on the list and there are some very large properties and free range areas to hunt there. I love deer hunting here in the states but Texas has gotten so expensive, I’ll focus on Africa instead.

Just a note on shipping trophies home, I just paid my shipping invoice for a Kuche hunt.

I had 5 shoulder mounts, 4 euros, and 4 tanned hides. Crate 160x113x105cm and actual weight of 144kgs.

My air quote to Dallas was $3,689 and Sea to Houston $1,847. I took the slow route.

Don't know exactly what the port fees stateside will be, but one of the guys I hunted with already got his crate, its a little smaller than mine. His total stateside fees including freight delivery from Houston to his home in Arkansas was around $1,300.

I thought this was all pretty reasonable considering what I have been hearing lately about the cost of shipping trophies home.
I’d be curious to know what his sea freight was vs the air freight costs. Did his $1300 stateside include the use of a customs broker? If his air freight quote was the same and the stateside fees included the customs broker then he saved a minimum of $500 but likely more.

When did y’all hunt with Kuche?

I’d be curious to know what his sea freight was vs the air freight costs. Did his $1300 stateside include the use of a customs broker? If his air freight quote was the same and the stateside fees included the customs broker then he saved a minimum of $500 but likely more.

When did y’all hunt with Kuche?
Not sure I follow. The amounts I posted $3,689 and $1,847 were for freight only no stateside broker services or fees included. The $1,300 included all port and brokerage fees and freight shipping of the crate from the port of Houston to a home address. There would also be significant stateside fees added to the air freight cost if we had gone that route.

My crate that just shipped was for a hunt in Aug of 2022....two years ago! Can't wait to get them on the wall. The Waterbuck in my profile pic was 31 inches on both sides!

Not sure I follow. The amounts I posted $3,689 and $1,847 were for freight only no stateside broker services or fees included. The $1,300 included all port and brokerage fees and freight shipping of the crate from the port of Houston to a home address. There would also be significant stateside fees added to the air freight cost if we had gone that route.

My crate that just shipped was for a hunt in Aug of 2022....two years ago! Can't wait to get them on the wall. The Waterbuck in my profile pic was 31 inches on both sides!
I was just trying to get a better idea of comparative costs since I know roughly what costs are for customs on Air Freight. I was asking, if his stateside fees included customs broker fees in addition to the port fees and shipping.

So hypothetically if his air freight ($3689) and sea freight ($1847) quotes were identical

$1847 (sea freight) + $1300 = $3147

That’s a savings of about $542 over airfreight before accounting for any stateside customs fees.

Historically my stateside customs fees on D&P has been about 50% less than buddies who’ve done finished taxidermy shipped via Sea Freight (about $1500 so your buddy was close).

I know it’s possible to clear airfreight customs on your own for a significant savings, however I’m not sure about the feasibility of doing it at the seaport. Taking that out and accounting for my $800 in customs fees on air freight you probably saved a grand maybe more going Sea Freight. I’d make the same choice of waiting a little longer, especially after what’s already been 2 years

Great report, thank you.

You wife took a very good blesbok, congrats :D Cheers:

Well done report!! Cost breakdown is interesting. I must say I was surprised the taxidermy had to be paid in full up-front. I’ve only had to pay 1/2 initially. Is that policy a newer trend in the industry?? I currently have a buff in progress with Bulls Eye that only required half. Didn’t mean to derail thread.

Not my cup of tea or perhaps your second cup but thanks for an honest report. The Kuche model is just fine for some folks but not all.

Well done report!! Cost breakdown is interesting. I must say I was surprised the taxidermy had to be paid in full up-front. I’ve only had to pay 1/2 initially. Is that policy a newer trend in the industry?? I currently have a buff in progress with Bulls Eye that only required half. Didn’t mean to derail thread.
I believe the deal was 50% deposit required on shoulder/full mounts. Paid in full for euros and flat skins.

Thanks for the honest report and posting the pics. There had been some controversy surrounding Kuche but if there's a market for how they conduct their hunts, more power to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CandiceRon

Latest profile posts

quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa