Pre-64 300 H&H scope rings

akrifleman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Long Range Shooters of Alaska, Alaska Rifle Club, SCI, AK Wild Sheep, PRS, PRS22, NRA RSO
Hunted
South Africa, AK, SD, NC, GA, FL, WY
I have a pre-64 with a very old scope. I'm looking to update it with a modern scope which is more likely to be a 34+ tube and I'd prefer a one piece.

The common answer is a rail, but I'm curious if there is something like the old Redfield ones that are only 1"

I'm thinking the Alphahunter by NEAR Mfg may be the best choice?

I love the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and rings on all my Winchesters.

Classic, beautiful and my scopes never move.

Before you buy anything measure your hole spacing. I had a Pre64 300H&H that a smith drilled and tapped the back receiver bridge (only the front was factory drilled and tapped) and used a different hole spacing. He drilled it for whatever spare 2pc base he had on the bench (front Rem 700). I learned this the hard way trying to find a 1pc to fit it, then finding 2pc bases. I’ve got a drawer full of sets I bought and forgot to return until I was smart enough to measure.

That said, if they’re the same spacing, I love the Talley QR’s but I think your choice will work.

Before you buy anything measure your hole spacing. I had a Pre64 300H&H that a smith drilled and tapped the back receiver bridge (only the front was factory drilled and tapped) and used a different hole spacing. He drilled it for whatever spare 2pc base he had on the bench (front Rem 700). I learned this the hard way trying to find a 1pc to fit it, then finding 2pc bases. I’ve got a drawer full of sets I bought and forgot to return until I was smart enough to measure.

That said, if they’re the same spacing, I love the Talley QR’s but I think your choice will work.
That is a very good point.

Do you know what year you have? My ‘48 h&h has both holes. I bought Talley bases and rings because I got them cheap, was going to go with leupold quick detach bases.

Do you know what year you have? My ‘48 h&h has both holes. I bought Talley bases and rings because I got them cheap, was going to go with leupold quick detach bases.
Nope. 70 yr old rings with no markings that I see.

rear hole spacing is what to measure, should be .435. It’s shorter on the h&h actions.
Here’s what I have on mine

rear hole spacing is what to measure, should be .435. It’s shorter on the h&h actions.
Here’s what I have on mine
OK Thanks - I'll get out the mike a bit later and figure that out. I really wasn't quite sure how to go about that, so I appreciate the information.

+34mm tube? What kind of scope is that? Or are you referring to objective/ocular lens? A 34mm tube will mount quite high I would think. I have a 30mm tube 1-5x "tactical" scope on my 404 and mounting it so it would acquire without hunting for view required low rings, finding a discontinued low 1-piece base, and shaving metal from the bolt handle to clear the ocular lens.

My dad and his gunsmith coworker built my Springfield 03A3 back in '62. They tapped it for Weaver 2-piece bases but apparently just put the front base approximately in the center of locking ring (rear Weaver base is situated on the rear site dovetail in rear ring). When I switched to a 1-piece base to accommodate a new Nikon scope with short tube, the receiver holes for front base screws didn't line up with what was drilled in the base. So I carefully drilled a new hole in the base/rail to match up with one in the receiver. I could not drill out a new second forward hole in base to match second forward receiver hole because it would have been touching an existing factory hole in the base. It's only a 30-06. One screw front and one screw aft should be sufficient to anchor a 1-piece steel rail. So far it has worked fine.

Anyway, something to consider if you can't find a base with holes that match your base perfectly.

+34mm tube? What kind of scope is that? Or are you referring to objective/ocular lens? A 34mm tube will mount quite high I would think. I have a 30mm tube 1-5x "tactical" scope on my 404 and mounting it so it would acquire without hunting for view required low rings, finding a discontinued low 1-piece base, and shaving metal from the bolt handle to clear the ocular lens.

I haven't purchased a scope for it yet, but likely a Leica PRS 5-30x56i or an NF NX8 2.5x20 F1

All my scopes are MIL scopes with reference reticles. That is what I have on all my comp and hunting rifles from my 22LR PRS/LR to ELR. It's what I know, and I'm comfortable with.

The tube doesn't matter much, but the 50 or 56 objective bell usually means I'm in a high ring. My modern CRF Model 70 (375 H&H) was a simple affair, but before working with something older than I am, calls for some wisdom and experience outside of my possession.

My CZ 416 Rigby is probably more like your 404. It is a 1-8x24mm. Much more DG'esq. That one is a 30mm main tube.

Another vote for Talley. My 1960 model 70 in 300 H&H was factory drilled and tapped and the talley rings worked great. I’m not running a scope that big (Swarovski z3 3.5-10), but I’m sure the higher rings would work just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jw3032

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at Kramer-jack@comcast.net or call my cell number 717-660-7421.
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]