Namibia will cull 83 elephants and 30 hippos to distribute meat to people hit by drought

Mark A Ouellette

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Benefactor
Hunted
Limpopo, Kalahari, Zimbabwe, Canada, USA
They could easily sell licenses to outfitters, and let hunters do the culling. The country makes money, the outfitter makes money, and people are fed.

What about those with hunts planned for Namibia? I have seen several advertisements for cull hunts. I have a hunt with Khomas but not until 2026.

It appears that most PH’s with access to concessions were given additional quota for elephants and hippo back in July. The problem is trying to sell them in the short amount of time allotted.

HH

What about those with hunts planned for Namibia? I have seen several advertisements for cull hunts. I have a hunt with Khomas but not until 2026.
What about them? Usually own use animals in concession areas are offered to clients at a significant discount. There is a limited amount of hunters an outfitter can have it a camp at one time and limited amount of hunting in concession area and still maintain quality. Also not all PHs are licensed for DG. I’d think the outfitters who own areas would try to take as much as they can with clients where legal then do a lot in the off season if it doesn’t become the responsibility of parks.

Last edited:
Can't help but think some of our fine outfitters here might be the receipients of the cull efforts... and corresponding discounts to clients.

Can't help but think some of our fine outfitters here might be the receipients of the cull efforts... and corresponding discounts to clients.

Where do I sign up, as meat provider??? I'll bring my own rifle and bullets ;)

Problem is they want the hunts to take place to quickly. My ZpH was denied the option to hunt in November a couple weeks ago. We will see how it changes.

I've got a Nonuse Elephant - Hippo hunt for 2025 in Namibia on the books. I think its a great collaboration, but to sell them on short notice is probably hard. I mean it's still a $15-20k+ undertaking once you factor in guide costs and flights and everything.

For hunters to drop that kind of money and hop on a plane, you've got to be very flexible and able to afford it this late in the year. Finding 83 of those people is hard.

The short notice and possibly the cost are factors for a lot of us. Anyone of working age has most of their yearly calendar planned out with holidays, family events, hunting trips, etc.

If you've already used your paid vacation days, it's hard to justify taking more vacation time, both to an employer and a spouse.

I've been a member here less than a year, but I've learned from this awful group of enablers to have a secret stash of funds and vacation days, specifically to jump on the good deals that pop up here on AH.

In the long term, I hope this doesn't effect the game population, the PH's, or the people of Namibia to severely, and that the recovery from the drought comes quickly.

Last edited:
There are several short notice hunt options with different Namibian PH’s at significantly reduced costs. I had a PH text me last week asking if I could hunt in early Sept for some extra quota he just got. Received a similar message over the weekend about an Ele hunt in Botswana NG35, and a hunt in Zim.

My PH in Nam offered me one of the elephant at a scary low price. I can’t make it work timing wise but they are definitely allowing PH’s opportunity within their blocks

They could easily sell licenses to outfitters, and let hunters do the culling. The country makes money, the outfitter makes money, and people are fed.
Totally agree…why does this not happen?

Curious, does Namibia allow local handloading, or all those culls by locals in effect require factory ammo?

Totally agree…why does this not happen?
It actually happens a lot in Namibia, they’re sold as “own use”. Namibia also has a cool deal were traveling hunters can shoot cull animals and PAC animals for a reduced fee. The catch on PAC (as explained to me) the hunter needs to already be in country or be contracted to arrive in country prior to the permit being issued. Basically it’s to prevent Outfitter X from calling and booking a favorite client up, but also make sure the animals get hunted quickly to reduce further human wildlife conflict/problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jw3032

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at Kramer-jack@comcast.net or call my cell number 717-660-7421.
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]