Saw this on a FB page today

I sure would not lose sleep over this one

Lon

I appreciate the responses and perspectives.

Who would have guessed that a viewer would not have associated an effigy of a black man’s head mounted in an Africa themed trophy room full of trophy heads being an American President!?
The leap was a little too far for me.
There is no big OBAMA sign underneath it So the “joke” is lost.
To that end, it certainly is a depiction of race as presented.

Osama being deceased, pretty simple direct message on the poster.

An angle to ponder as we hunters post ourselves on the net,…..

As hunters, we are a very small minority in this world and we can not ignore that.
In fact, there are many vociferous groups that have successfully managed to make our lives much more difficult through simple, aggravating shifts in corporate or public policy. Under the guise of saving species or whatever distracting camouflage, it does not matter, we are impacted significantly.

Businesses all over the world jump on the majority band wagon every day.

There are direct impacts from how we represent hunters:

1. Airlines banning trophy carriage, creating a monopoly that is quite happy to bleed your wallet dry. Have you noticed the prices?
A local airline jumped on the bandwagon with bold statements. They don‘t even fly near Africa, nor are they likely to have freight from Africa forwarded on their planes. But, they banned big five trophies in solidarity. They also climbed on the next item quickly too.

2. Airlines charging fees for every leg to carry a firearm. Not a ban, but there are a lot of rifle rentals being made now.

3. Having large caliber ownership being banned completely for political reasons.

4. USFWS policies that leave doubts for many Americans about returning hunted trophies home. Whole businesses have grown out of these restrictions.

5. Complete bans on imports of trophies being sought in so many jurisdictions around the world I have lost count.

I got a question to everyone that’s worried about this picture.
If it was a white mans mask would you even blink a eye, What if it was trump , bush, Clinton, jimmy carter ? I have seen masks of presidents stuck just about every where over the years. No one ever blinks a eye about it.
But since we are told we should be offended by this we are????
I got more important crap to worry about

Texan’s, as a whole (always exceptions) often don’t possess the sensitivity to other’s feelings as some other Americans. For that I AM THANKFUL. The consensus thinking is often “Were you offended by that? Good “.

That said, we are some of the friendliest people you’ll ever meet! :cool:

@62flint The result I hope will be an awareness about what we choose to post.

Misperception about content and intent is pretty simple on the internet.

I am mindful of the dangers of misappropriation of images on the net.
I regularly protect members of AH who inadvertently post personal identifying details in their images that they post.
Degrees, certificates, employers, children, addresses, phone numbers, etc
Most people just are not savvy.

In the end if anyone gets a heads up about the possible impact I’ll be content.

A Black Mans head in a trophy room!
It took a minute to figure out the concern. Politics vs first glance shock of what could be the obvious. 99% of the time I post, or view posts, from my iPhone. Small screen and not much to see in the periphery… I couldn’t tell it was an Obama mask. Assuming it is, and in bad taste, I’ll keep it moving because It’s difficult to appreciate extreme views on politics. They do have some nice trophies in there!

Now, if it was just there for the racist value, shame on them for the obvious…

Now, if it were a Trump mask?

@62flint The result I hope will be an awareness about what we choose to post.

Misperception about content and intent is pretty simple on the internet.

I am mindful of the dangers of misappropriation of images on the net.
I regularly protect members of AH who inadvertently post personal identifying details in their images that they post.
Degrees, certificates, employers, children, addresses, phone numbers, etc
Most people just are not savvy.

In the end if anyone gets a heads up about the possible impact I’ll be content.
At what point do you stop being “ your brothers keeper”.
Saving some that post private info by accident is one thing.
Intentionally posting something that is controversial to “stir the pot” is another

At what point do you stop being “ your brothers keeper”.
Saving some that post private info by accident is one thing.
Intentionally posting something that is controversial to “stir the pot” is another
He is making an excellent point. I don't think anyone cares what some tasteless numbskull hangs in his trophy room. But, when we post hunting related material on line we are posting for all hunters - however much we claim we aren't. With that might go the tiniest sense of responsibility.

Was sort of a “How offensive!” Where’s Waldo?” game, without knowing anything about Waldo.

The Osama picture doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s about the MAN and his ACTIONS, not his RACE. Everyone should know that. Let’s not make everything about race.

As for the black head on the hippo tusk, that’s wrong and I certainly wouldn’t put it there, whether it’s supposed to be Obama or not.

No idea who the owner of this trophy room is.
Although I suspect it would be simple enough to figure it out.

I was admiring some incredible Bushbuck trophies right up until I found it..... The fact that this is present at all, never mind that it was posted on FB, is astounding. :E Shocked: :E Red Hot:

It is embarrassing to have this associated with hunting.

View attachment 582533
This is at the FTW Ranch, SAAM Shooting school. What you are seeing are corn hole games that are stored on the wall. The guides there are experts at corn hole!

I got a question to everyone that’s worried about this picture.
If it was a white mans mask would you even blink a eye, What if it was trump , bush, Clinton, jimmy carter ? I have seen masks of presidents stuck just about every where over the years. No one ever blinks a eye about it.
But since we are told we should be offended by this we are????
I got more important crap to worry about

Truthfully, to answer your question. If it were a different shade head I still would be wondering why a human head was in a trophy room.
Perhaps the families of the white farmers in South Africa would be a little concerned about the effigy of a white head being in Julius Malema's trophy room? But, who knows.
I would not have blinked twice if it were an OVERT sign/poster like the Osama poster. That message is pretty clear.
The US Secret Service might get a bit testy though.

The rest of the world does not see presidents masks stuck everywhere everyday. Hence, the lack of habituation on my part.

BRICKBURN as a Moderator and contributor does a great job! This post, and his point, reminds me of one of the first Journeyman who mentored and trained me to not only be a master mechanic, a good union brother, but also understand how to carry myself in the trade. He did this by forcing me to do things right, but more importantly, by planting seeds for thought. By making subtle suggestions and letting me think about it a bit. Then, if my 19 year old mind or level of experience couldn’t make the leap, or close the gap, I would just ask him what he meant or intended…

He, over a period of years, and without me knowing it, caused me to carry water and cut wood. Something I continue to do to this day - the best I can…

Was sort of a “How offensive!” Where’s Waldo?” game, without knowing anything about Waldo.
The Where's Waldo was certainly my first thought. :E Rofl:

This room is the kind of place owned by people I don't want to associate myself anytime regardless they are hunters or not.
It's disgusting and reflects the taste of a person who's a racist and a redneck.
Imagine yourself as a black person walking in there!

Could be a PR problem for DSC given Tim Fallon’s position there
That is exactly what scares me about the unintended consequences. A guy was just in awe of an incredible trophy room filled with amazing trophies, snapped a picture and probably never saw anything untoward when they composed the image. They Share it on FB and it is around the world in two seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fynixio

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]